Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by code_master View Post
    This is Eddie,

First, Jimmy you're waaaay too nice. For a free site you guys are lucky that the host is actually listening your input.
    First of a lil about me; I am Rich Internet Application Developer, banners are not my specialty, it is for designers. Plus there is no money in making banner, for those of you that don't know what RIA development is, I make programs so designers can use them to create banners!

I am not a designer, that is why I asked jimmy for the design ideas and in turn he asked you guys. Most of you have been pretty helpful, others have taken advantage of jimmy's nice personality!

@ -Cp
    And as far as all your designer input, where are your credentials? are you a designer, developer, programmer, coder or just a poorly informed yet highly opinionated person!

For the rest of you, you are going to notice some major changes on this site in the upcoming weeks....hope you like'em.

Cheerio
    Just now saw this..... Don't need credentials to know if something looks good or not.

Does Simon Cowell need to be a singer to judge singers? Nope... Nor do I have to be a designer to give my opinion (feedback) on the design of the banner.

By your admission above, I totally called it - you're not a designer. That's not a bad thing and I'm sure you're quite good at coding RIA, however.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

This site is about freedom of speech - Eddie, you WAY over-reacted about -Cp's constructive criticism; even if you didn't like whatever tone that you may have read into it. He presented his thoughts in a MUCH more valuable way than maineman's little brown-nosing comment.

We need cooler heads here on some parts. I'm not digging the color much, but I don't mind it. The banner, IMO, is pretty basic with a goofy font. Thing is, I don't much care enough to complain or suggest something else because I'm here for the content, and whatever anyone likes - ESPECIALLY what the board owner likes - is fine w/ me.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Still loads on the left for me on two different puters.

I also lose remote connections with other puters if I sign in here. That never happened with the old Banner..I guess the new one takes more memory?
    The left issue is definitely on your end. I had it tested on over 20 possible browsers and all display it correctly.

This site cannot (plausibly) affect your connection to other sites/computers/networks unless it had bogus code, which it does not.

In all seriousness, I know you said you didn't want to upgrade, but you really should. You wouldn't be doing so just for this site, but just about EVERY site out there is going to upgrade code as a result of browser upgrades. You can have all kinds of issues with an outdated browsers. They don't only release new versions to give you more goodies, but many times to fix security bugs and other releases to fix visual and application issues.

This header is actually a smaller load than the older one, that's the beauty of Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
    Just now saw this..... Don't need credentials to know if something looks good or not.

Does Simon Cowell need to be a singer to judge singers? Nope... Nor do I have to be a designer to give my opinion (feedback) on the design of the banner.

By your admission above, I totally called it - you're not a designer. That's not a bad thing and I'm sure you're quite good at coding RIA, however.
    As I stated earlier, there's a difference between constructive feedback which will lead to changes and/or enhancements, or posting to put someone down. Example: 1) I don't like the coloring scheme, the red is too bright. I also don't like the font as it appears "amateurish". 2) The banner sucks and I wouldn't call the person an "expert" designer and I know many others that could do better work with less time.

Do you not see the difference? When one is looking for feedback from a community, that the community in mind is why changes are being made, insults won't serve any purpose other than to irritate the person doing the FREE work.

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    This site is about freedom of speech - Eddie, you WAY over-reacted about -Cp's constructive criticism; even if you didn't like whatever tone that you may have read into it. He presented his thoughts in a MUCH more valuable way than maineman's little brown-nosing comment.

We need cooler heads here on some parts. I'm not digging the color much, but I don't mind it. The banner, IMO, is pretty basic with a goofy font. Thing is, I don't much care enough to complain or suggest something else because I'm here for the content, and whatever anyone likes - ESPECIALLY what the board owner likes - is fine w/ me.
    -CP was entitled to his opinion and did exactly that. Both Eddie and I saw it as feedback, but with an insulting tone. Both of us were 100% willing to make changes based on what people threw at us (and it wasn't a lot), so we did the best we could out of our own imaginations and from the feedback. We're still willing to make changes if it's truly necessary.

It was I who made the mistake on what Eddie's specialty is. I've seen his portfolio of prior work and it was amazing, and much of it was designing as well, so I ASSumed that's what he did mostly. He does a lot just for fun, and a lot of that is "design". What his education is based on is the programming. I've since seen his work on programming as well and it's awesome, even though it confuses the hell out of me. He doesn't do barely anything graphic related, just opens notepad or similar and types in all Flash and other code by hand.

But back to the point - which was to give us "constructive" feedback which would lead to changes that the majority of the board would like to see. If you go through this thread, which has a lot of posts, you'll see a lot of criticism or compliments, but not a lot of feedback and what specifically people would like to see. While stating that the font is goofy is absolutely feedback we would like to see, tossing out some ideas or pointing out a specific font would be nice too, but of course not mandatory. I can easily have him change the font, but I believe you're the first to speak up on that issue - and I take your feedback seriously as I consider you to be an expert on graphics as well.

No feuds, no hard feelings. I have no issue with anyone, nor do I want one. Just want a pleasant conversation about the "look" of the board, and what I can deliver to the community to make their stay here more enjoyable.

My apologies to -Cp or anyone else I might have offended with my "attitude" towards feedback here. People want different things and it's difficult to have it all come together and please everyone.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    The left issue is definitely on your end. I had it tested on over 20 possible browsers and all display it correctly.
    I donno, I've loaded the site on 3 different puters with 2 different isps and all load on the left. It doesn't matter I'm not here for the header anyway.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I donno, I've loaded the site on 3 different puters with 2 different isps and all load on the left. It doesn't matter I'm not here for the header anyway.
    ISP wouldn't matter... Is it possible your other computers have outdated browsers as well? It's just odd when one or 2 people would see the issue and everyone else is fine. But I do agree with your last part!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I am going to put up examples of other fonts we can choose. If you know the name of a font you would like to see, post it. I'll post 10 at a time and see if we can come to an agreement. I'll post more as time goes on if necessary. Here's 10 examples to start with:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr. P

Try checking your zoom settings under View in the menu.

Or hold your Ctrl key and scroll your mouse button up and down to see if that fixes the appearance on the screen.

A quick way to resume default settings it to press Ctrl + 0 (zero)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Here are 9 more

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

This may be way too goofy an idea, or too busy, I don't know.

What about eliminating the blue background and replacing it with the Constitution? Have the, "We The People" in the top left corner and the Debate policy header offset to the right or with a transparency to be able to read the, "We The People". Have a sticky of the Constitution as the very first thing under General or Politics.

Regardless the topic this board is about freedom of speech.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I can't imagine that too many are upset with the change or font, or I'm sure they would have spoken up in this thread. I've offered to change the font to whatever ya'll wanted, specifically doing so because of a complaint - but yet not one single person has posted a thing about it since I offered examples or asked to give me font names. I'm certainly not going to pull teeth for feedback. It'll stay as is since really only one person complained about the work done, and another has an issue with alignment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

BTW - if anyone knows of an addition they would like to see to the board, or any changes, please shoot me a PM. I'm no longer going to go out of my way with polls and feedback threads when no on can be bothered to reply. I do the things I do for the community, not for myself. If the community can't show an interest, then it's not worth my time to wrestle with changes.