Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Watada's key defense: No longer an option

I'd been saying this forever - even mentioned it to the prosecuting attorney:

Watada wasn't ordered to do ANYTHING but move with his unit from one place to another. He was not ordered to fight or participate once getting there. He was simply ordered to MOVE:

Legality of war ruled irrelevant and out of order

In a finding of fact, Judge Head noted:

“A hearing on the “Nuremberg defense” would consist of witnesses who would testify that the war in Iraq was a crime against peace, a war of aggression, and a violation of the United Nations Charter, other international law, and U.S. law. The accused would testify that his refusal to go to Iraq was based upon the belief that he would be committing war crimes because the United States was involved in a war of aggression and a crime against peace.”

However, in conclusion:

“The accused’s motive not to deploy and his belief about the lawfulness of the Iraq war are not elements of the offense. Motive is, therefore, irrelevant on the merits…. Even had the defense been granted the full hearing they requested, the decision would be no different. The evidence proffered all went to a nonjusticiable political question or to a [irrelevant] motive.”

During the pre-trial hearing, Seitz asserted, “The legality of the Iraq War is not merely a political question. Lt. Watada’s specific intent was to avoid unlawful actions in Iraq. For the sake of due process, we need the opportunity to raise this issue.” Ruling on due process: DENIED.

http://www.couragetoresist.org/x/
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I'd been saying this forever - even mentioned it to the prosecuting attorney:

Watada wasn't ordered to do ANYTHING but move with his unit from one place to another. He was not ordered to fight or participate once getting there. He was simply ordered to MOVE:
    BANG they got him.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big rock --> small rocks.