Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default My daughter's PC day at school

Here's another installation in the ongoing saga of life today in a public high school.

Today was the school's second annual "keep silent" day, in honor of gays and lesbians. The school's Gay-Straight Alliance group promoted it, and those who participated did not talk all day.

Here's the kicker: participants did not have to respond to any teacher's questions, or otherwise participate vocally in class. They wore stickers to ensure others knew what they were "honoring". Those students were effectively absent from class all day, while simultaneously providing a distraction to other students.

All this, while students cannot even have a mere moment of silence for prayer. Is it any wonder that homeschooling is getting more and more popular?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

HOW GAY!! erp...I mean...yeah..seriously though - the Principal in charge of that school - OR the district - needs to know that kinda crap shouldn't fly.

:-/
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    HOW GAY!! erp...I mean...yeah..seriously though - the Principal in charge of that school - OR the district - needs to know that kinda crap shouldn't fly.

:-/

My daughter had the same reaction. The word 'gay' has apparently come to mean anything really dumb or in any sense uncool.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would have been jabbering away all day then. And doing everything I could to get the fag supporters to say something.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I would have been jabbering away all day then. And doing everything I could to get the fag supporters to say something.
    Some supporters were hand-signalling and writing notes all day.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Some supporters were hand-signalling and writing notes all day.
    Here's the only hand signal these supporters should get in response:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So they let the pro-life people wear tape over their mouths, paint their faces, and not speak during the day. This is no worse. Students do have the right to free speech, which this would be, political speech even in silence as long as things aren't disrupted and I'll tell ya people being quite for the day are not going to be that disruptive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    So they let the pro-life people wear tape over their mouths, paint their faces, and not speak during the day. This is no worse. Students do have the right to free speech, which this would be, political speech even in silence as long as things aren't disrupted and I'll tell ya people being quite for the day are not going to be that disruptive.
    Free speech in a frickin classroom? Are you kidding? Students are there to learn. Doing this kind of crap is just disruptive to students and does ZERO for their education. Kids can go protest or support whatever causes they want, on their own time, not the taxpayers'.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Are you saying it's not disrupting to a class when some idiot children refuse to speak, even when called upon to do so by the teacher? Are you saying you really have such a poor grasp on what "Free Speech" really means that you assume ANYTHING idiot children want to do is 'just fine'? If my son or daughter participated in such a 'protest' I'd whoop their ass, then repent, because obviously I would have been failing them, as a Father.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Here's another installation in the ongoing saga of life today in a public high school.

Today was the school's second annual "keep silent" day, in honor of gays and lesbians. The school's Gay-Straight Alliance group promoted it, and those who participated did not talk all day.

Here's the kicker: participants did not have to respond to any teacher's questions, or otherwise participate vocally in class. They wore stickers to ensure others knew what they were "honoring". Those students were effectively absent from class all day, while simultaneously providing a distraction to other students.

All this, while students cannot even have a mere moment of silence for prayer. Is it any wonder that homeschooling is getting more and more popular?
    One word comes to mind here: IRONY!! Last I checked it's the homo's who are the most vocal - always doing their stupid parades and such down the streets of cities around America... doing chants etc... Can't say I've ever seen the hetro's out marching the streets...

So if they wanted to teach kids what it's like to be a queer they should've had the hetro's be quiet and the faggots out marching around the playground holding their liberal-ass rainbow flags...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I can see myself at that now. I'd find somebody with one of those stickers on them and start making smug, snide comments around them, and obviously enjoying the fact that they couldn't talk. It's a stupid idea, and goading somebody into breaking their silent protest sounds like loads of fun.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Haven't seen this in her school. But if it did happen, I would feel the same way. You are in school to learn, and participate in class if called upon. And to not disrupt learning. You have had the lie-bral free speech mantra so drummed into you, you have no perspective.

Any of those kids can feel free to march down the street "honoring gayness" on their own time if they so choose. Here's something for you to chew on: Do you think your employer will allow you to refuse to speak at work, in the guise of free speech?

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Well Abbey, seems nationwide:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3...hirt18.article

Judge upholds ban on anti-gay T-shirts

April 18, 2007
    BY NATASHA KORECKI Federal Courts Reporter nkorecki@suntimes.com
    A federal judge on Tuesday upheld a Naperville high school's decision to ban "Be Happy, Not Gay" T-shirts.

U.S. District Judge William Hart declined to issue a preliminary injunction that would have allowed students to wear the T-shirts at a Thursday event.

Two students at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville -- who say they are deeply Christian and believe homosexuality is immoral -- brought their complaint to federal court. They wanted to wear the T-shirts a day after the Gay/Straight Alliance holds a day of silence today. Last year, one of the students who filed the complaint wore a "Be Straight, Not Gay" T-shirt and the school wanted the "not gay" stricken.

The school district was willing to allow the students alternatives such as "Be Happy, Be Straight" but didn't want the phrase "not gay," saying it was derogatory. The school likened it to saying "Be Happy, Not Christian."

Because the district offered alternatives, it was not violating the students' freedom of expression, Hart wrote.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll get some responces in on this. Just in school now and have to be quick if I want lunch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Yup, Kathianne. Your article points out that gay day caused even more disruptions at school, where it doesn't belong.

-Abbey