Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The "Neutering" of the American Male

Gone are the days when "Men were Men" who thought nothing about protecting the lives of Women and Children - gone are the days of T.V. when we saw this portrayed in programming on shows that were even as silly as a like Gilligan's Island. Many times - when faced with dangers, the men on the island would step out first in the face of danger in order to keep the women safe. In contrast to today's T.V. - where we now see the typical Male father figure dumbed down to the point of being a mouse snickering in the corner with a piece of cheese. Does Hollywood emulate life or is life emulating Hollywood?

Perhaps the problems we face in this day and age is a culmination of issues that have "neutered" our men:

1. An epic divorce rate that almost always bastardizes the man and leaves a single-mom raising her sons w/o a good male role model.
    2. Dads who are still married yet can quote their favorite sports team’s statistics but can't tell you a damn thing about their kids' school grades.
    3. "Career parents" - parents who place their earnings above the welfare of their kids and ultimately make their kids pay a horrible price of being raised in Day Care or raise themselves.
    4. "It's all about you son" - this ideology that teaches everyone to "look out for #1" - "make sure you always take care of you" is popular vernacular these days.

In light of the school attacks we've seen over the past few years I can't help but wonder what the outcome would be in these horrible scenarios if even 1 or 2 boys and/or young adult males stood up as "MEN" and stepped out to attack the aggressors in an effort to protect the women/girls in the classrooms where these crimes were perpetrated.

How is it we now have boys who are so worried about self preservation that they don't - for a second - step up to the plate in face of danger and at least attempt to take action. Instead - like sheep - they line up in order to be killed execution-style as was the case we read about now in the recent Virginia Tech massacre.

My wife and I will be sitting all of our kids down and talking to them about the importance of making sure to always do what's right even if it means stepping out in the face of danger in an effort to protect others.

Hind-sight is always 20/20 for sure and the point of this isn't to pour salt on any wounds of those families who lost loved ones but it is meant to underscore how (generally speaking) our men have turned into mice.
    Last edited by -Cp; 04-18-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It's been said one of the most grave injustices bestowed upon our children is the idea that nothing is worth fighting, or dying for.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I was surprised that no one jumped him, especially when I heard about him lining people up and shooting them in the head.

Then again, I don't know how I would have reacted since I've never been in a situation where I needed to defend myself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

In contrast to today's T.V. - where we now see the typical Male father figure dumbed down to the point of being a mouse snickering in the corner with a piece of cheese. Does Hollywood emulate life or is life emulating Hollywood?

My husband and I have noticed this going on for years. I don't think there is a sitcom out there that doesn't have an idiot father with an all knowing wife.

The hubby blaims womens lib.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

My husband and I were talking about this. One of the witnesses to the shootings, a strong looking young man, said Cho ran out of ammo and stopped to reload the same gun (the .22) I was wondering why no one took that opportunioy to tackle him. The guy who told the tale took that time to burrow in deeper under some desks.

All you gun guys out there- wouldn't there be enough time to tackle someone who is reloading? Or is it done too quickly?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Confusion and Panic. Unless I've been in that situation I can only brag about what I'd HOPE to do...and that is, pummel that son of a bitch (no offense to his mother) into submission with whatever I could find.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    In contrast to today's T.V. - where we now see the typical Male father figure dumbed down to the point of being a mouse snickering in the corner with a piece of cheese. Does Hollywood emulate life or is life emulating Hollywood?

My husband and I have noticed this going on for years. I don't think there is a sitcom out there that doesn't have an idiot father with an all knowing wife.

The hubby blaims womens lib.
    I'm with him..sorry ladies, it did some good but I think it did far more harm.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a magic number, somewhere just shy of 30 ft. Within that range, unless the gun is ready to fire and already pointed at you, the shooter cannot bring the weapon to bear and fire before you close to melee. Even with a trained commando, you've got a good 3 seconds minimum to charge the guy if he's reloading.

Now, I've never had a gun in my face, but I've stood up and hit guys twice my size, knowing they would probably win a fight, just to let them know I wasn't going down quietly. The only way I'll die on my knees is if I have a stroke while praying.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hobbit has it right. You have a range that you can act while someone is reloading. And unless your trained in combat reloading you won't be able to do it fast and keep an eye on your targets. But under panic conditions I'm sure no one there thought about that. They were just trying to get out of the line of fire.

Also it depends on what was between the shooter and the people he's shooting at. Desks, chairs, bodies? All that has to be navigated before you reach him. what would have been best would be for everyone to start throwing things at him as he tries to reload. That would give people time to rush him. But I'm sure none of that crossed anyones mind because it was not something anyone would even dream would happen in that setting.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The feminist movement did a lot of good for woman. As for weak guys, might be a sterotype in sitcoms but many action movies still have the tough guy saving the girl, even in horror/actions like Constantine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    The feminist movement did a lot of good for woman. As for weak guys, might be a sterotype in sitcoms but many action movies still have the tough guy saving the girl, even in horror/actions like Constantine.
    The only modern action hero who acts like a real man is James Bond, and the latest movie explains why he later acts that way. Most of the action heroes now are 'reluctant heroes' with a 'soft side.'

It's also impossible not to notice the trend of wimpy guys in real life. Just look around you at how many guys are 'whipped,' and what was the whole 'metrosexual' movement about. That one lasted less than 2 years because a metrosexual isn't manly enough to attract any woman who isn't interested in a slave with a penis.
    "Lighght"

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

There is a great article in Mens Health the title is "Are You A Pussy".
    It is really a good article and I think a lot of men especially in the larger cities are for the most part "wussified"!!!

I agree with Trigg, This stems from men being emasculated by the NOW. I'm not saying womens rights are not to be respected but quite the opposite.

Women are to be repected and treated curtiously at all times. My wife comes first above all else. My sons hold the doors for women an other people all the time and very rarely do they get even a thank you. Manners have gone out the window in the last 25-30 years.

With manners and respect gone out the window how could you even think about helping someone or even putting your life in danger for a stranger. This is the problem with America's youth today. Parents don't teach their kids proper repect for others namely thier elders, also men are portrayed as such stupid wusses that is all little boys see on TV so that is what they turn out to be, unless they are guided by strong parents. This means a STRONG MALE ROLE MODEL AS WELL AS A STRONG RESPECTED FEMALE FIGURE.

If boys grow up in this environment of repect and manners and remembering to act like a man at all times and to always repect thier mothers, wives and sisters they will be better adults willing to defend and protect others who are in need. They will also grow to expect such behavior of others when it come to the women and children of thier families.

I can still remember a time when my older two children were little. My son and daughter were playing at a McD's and a bigger kid started picking on my daughter, before my wife or I could get to the play area my son had tackeld this other child and had him pinned to the ground and said in very clear language "NO ONE PICKS ON MY LITTLE SISTER" Now that being said they do argue amongst themselves now that they are in their teens but i guarntee that if this situation ever raised it ugly head again i would probably be bailing my son out of jail for kicking the crap out of some other kid..

I think a lot of men have lost sight of what it means to be a man, I know it means differnt thing's to different people but at the core the values are always the same.

I would like to start a new thread as to what others think it means to be a man.. just to go along with this one..
    Last edited by Nukeman; 04-18-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/essays/41/

The Pussification Of The Western Male
    Kim du Toit
    November 5, 2003
    1:24 AM

We have become a nation of women.

It wasn’t always this way, of course. There was a time when men put their signatures to a document, knowing full well that this single act would result in their execution if captured, and in the forfeiture of their property to the State. Their wives and children would be turned out by the soldiers, and their farms and businesses most probably given to someone who didn’t sign the document.

There was a time when men went to their certain death, with expressions like “You all can go to hell. I’m going to Texas.” (Davy Crockett, to the House of Representatives, before going to the Alamo.)

There was a time when men went to war, sometimes against their own families, so that other men could be free. And there was a time when men went to war because we recognized evil when we saw it, and knew that it had to be stamped out.

There was even a time when a President of the United States threatened to punch a man in the face and kick him in the balls, because the man had the temerity to say bad things about the President’s daughter’s singing.

We’re not like that anymore.
    Follow the link and read it all. Kim nails it on the head.....
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the problems created by feminism are expressed best in a scene from T3. Late in the movie, John Conner and Catherine Bruster are running down a hallway, and are in the possession of a few firearms. They get floored by an explosion, then see an ultra-maneuverable jet fly up an point towards them. There's an AK-47 right there. The two look at each other with looks that say, "Hey John, are you gonna DO anything?" and, "I can't. I'm scared." At that moment, the girl picks up the AK and unloads into the thing. Now, I'm as turned on as any other guy by a hot woman who knows how to handle fully automatic firearms, but guys are supposed to be raised to, if nothing else, jump in front of the bullet to save the woman, not sit on the ground whimpering while the woman saves you. In a society where the men refuse to be men, the women must be men, and women...SUCK at being men, no matter how hard or sincerely they try.
    "Lighght"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep feminism started because women wanted to be men, but the end result is the men became women.
    Pork, good for you, bad for Muslims and Jews.