Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Perhaps it's a generational thing.
    Perhaps a perspective thing? I don't know. There was a time, so I was taught, that the strong looked out for the weak. When a slight, 70 some year old man is the strongest, there may be a bit of a problem?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Perhaps it's a generational thing.
    Absolutely true, That's the issue. This current crop has been taught to be wussies, a direct result of the femanist manifesto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Perhaps a perspective thing? I don't know. There was a time, so I was taught, that the strong looked out for the weak. When a slight, 70 some year old man is the strongest, there may be a bit of a problem?
    Tom Brokaw's book The Greatest Generation may be right on the money insofar as the generation as a whole had a more heroic mindset. As for perspective, I think many of the guys on this board, and I know my own husband, would defend the weak in a heartbeat.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Absolutely true, That's the issue. This current crop has been taught to be wussies, a direct result of the femanist manifesto.
    And other liberal causes.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Then don't start a day-care. But if you'd consider your children just 'crying babies' then you'd be an unfit mother. Really. I'd say, that'd mean you'd be a self-centered bitch.

However - when/if you straighten out (pun intended), and have a child, you may feel differently. (sigh)...Youth is SOOO wasted on the young.
    I agree... Youth is wasted on the young. And im still young. I just wish i could go back and do more with it with the knowledge I have now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    From what I've read, less today, the ONLY one that acted 'heroically' was an elderly professor that was a holocaust survivor. Every other story has been on protecting oneself. Now there were those that carried out wounded, which was brave for sure.
    I heard that too, but then most of these people are pretty young kids, and yeah 19 year olds are still kids nowadays. The fact is they werent prepared for anything like it. They've seen nothing like it before. I hope my children will understand the nature of evil and do what they can to oppose it when its found.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tom Brokaw's book The Greatest Generation may be right on the money insofar as the generation as a whole had a more heroic mindset. As for perspective, I think many of the guys on this board, and I know my own husband, would defend the weak in a heartbeat.
    The newer generations havent had to answer the same call the Greatest Generation has, but I think we have potential to do greater things. The question is will we do it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    I agree... Youth is wasted on the young. And im still young. I just wish i could go back and do more with it with the knowledge I have now.
    That's why we have kids. I tell my son a lot about both good and bad experiences that I've had, so he won't have to waste time screwing around with the bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

What a wonderful, virile board!! All of you would have risked your lives to attack a crazy person armed with automatic weapons!
    Get real...every damm one of you would have been under a desk.

1. An epic divorce rate that almost always bastardizes the man and leaves a single-mom raising her sons w/o a good male role model.
    My parents have been married almost 30 years. My mom and dad were both exceptional role models. How many of you are divorced? For shame!

2. Dads who are still married yet can quote their favorite sports team’s statistics but can't tell you a damn thing about their kids' school grades.

I guarantee that my dad pretty much everything important that went on in the lives of my sister and I. That is because he made it that way with a long list of rules and restrictions. My dad did not care for sports, but he still took me to Dodger games.

3. "Career parents" - parents who place their earnings above the welfare of their kids and ultimately make their kids pay a horrible price of being raised in Day Care or raise themselves.
    My mom and dad both worked out of necessity. Most modern families require two incomes. Both my parents were home by dinner time each night.

4. "It's all about you son" - this ideology that teaches everyone to "look out for #1" - "make sure you always take care of you" is popular vernacular these days.
    My parents had two daughters. You have to take care of yourself.

>>> What is the source for this 1950-ish piece of garbage anyway?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Wow what sexist viewpoints you have. No wonder it took so much fighting by the feminist movement to even get woman equal rights to men.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the word "sexist." I think modern feminists are some of the most sexist people out there. Modern feminists center EVERYTHING around the woman and her choices, and the men & children just get what the woman chooses to throw to them.

So men desire to dominate woman and woman should allow it and do all they can to protect the fragile male ego to keep from emasculating him no matter what her goals are, career or otherwise. Woman can lead, especially in the workplace today. If a man can't stand a strong woman that their problem not hers. Every individual has the right to strive to be what that want to be no matter the societies prejudices.
    Not even close to what I was saying. I don't think most men desire to DOMINATE; I think most men have an inner urge to LEAD. Two very different things. A tyrant wants to control, to keep others down under his command. A leader, OTOH, simply wants to go first, both in good situations and bad. I think most men have both a desire to LEAD and accompanying protective instincts. If you listen to the men on this board, and their comments about leadership, they are not talking about keeping women down, they are talking about SERVING others, through action and sacrifice, through being the first to face dangers. Their protective instincts make them want to go ahead and check things out for the woman/children/victims of terror, to ensure their safety. Once they are assured that the coast is clear, men like those on this board will turn back to those under their leadership and give the thumbs-up for them to pursue whatever ambitions or dreams they choose. But for women to deny men this opportunity to serve--for them to refuse to step back and let the guys go first-- it undermines some of the very best, most admirable things about manhood.

"The fragile male ego" is such a derogatory phrase. It makes men seem weak and silly for simply wanting respect. I don't like it when people talk about men this way. What's wrong with bolstering the "male ego"? Isn't it simply affirming a man's humanity and purpose? What's wrong with making someone feel valued?

I think most men LIKE strong women. Most men WANT their women to be strong, active, courageous, intelligent, etc. It's to a man's credit if his wife possesses these qualities, and I think most men WANT their women to achieve. It's the feminists who have it wrong, asserting that, for women to be these things, they must take them away from men. It's not men who can't stand strong women; it's the feminists who can't stand strong MEN.
    Last edited by Nienna; 04-22-2007 at 10:04 AM.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by the word "sexist." I think modern feminists are some of the most sexist people out there. Modern feminists center EVERYTHING around the woman and her choices, and the men & children just get what the woman chooses to throw to them.

Not even close to what I was saying. I don't think most men desire to DOMINATE; I think most men have an inner urge to LEAD. Two very different things. A tyrant wants to control, to keep others down under his command. A leader, OTOH, simply wants to go first, both in good situations and bad. I think most men have both a desire to LEAD and accompanying protective instincts. If you listen to the men on this board, and their comments about leadership, they are not talking about keeping women down, they are talking about SERVING others, through action and sacrifice, through being the first to face dangers. Their protective instincts make them want to go ahead and check things out for the woman/children/victims of terror, to ensure their safety. Once they are assured that the coast is clear, men like those on this board will turn back to those under their leadership and give the thumbs-up for them to pursue whatever ambitions or dreams they choose. But for women to deny men this opportunity to serve--for them to refuse to step back and let the guys go first-- it undermines some of the very best, most admirable things about manhood.

"The fragile male ego" is such a derogatory phrase. It makes men seem weak and silly for simply wanting respect. I don't like it when people talk about men this way. What's wrong with bolstering the "male ego"? Isn't it simply affirming a man's humanity and purpose? What's wrong with making someone feel valued?

I think most men LIKE strong women. Most men WANT their women to be strong, active, courageous, intelligent, etc. It's to a man's credit if his wife possesses these qualities, and I think most men WANT their women to achieve. It's the feminists who have it wrong, asserting that, for women to be these things, they must take them away from men. It's not men who can't stand strong women; it's the feminists who can't stand strong MEN.
    Nienna - you've said it well. However. Here's the rub. Libbers will NEVER take what you wrote and understand it. They will, on purpose, take what you wrote and apply it in the WORST POSSIBLE, most EXTREME circumstances in an effort to RUN...no...FLEE from truth. By their reasoning, if they can take what you say, twist it into something bad, they are justified in their loving, no...worshiping of lies. Very few will have the, excuse me, the balls, to actually UNDERSTAND. They do this on purpose, I believe, in an effort to shun ANY THOUGHT that they (Oh the THOUGHT!) could be...(gulp)...Wrong!.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Men wanting to lead is fine. Men keeping woman from leading because of ego issues of not being able to stand a woman getting ahead of them is not and is how it turns out half the time.