Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Evolution of Hispanic Identity

When I criticized Christopher Columbus's legacy and the nature of the Spanish occupation of America, this underwent the usual rightist analysis of screeching about political correctness (is it not ironic that to be against "PC" is probably the most "PC" position out there?), and my commentary was depicted as anti-Anglo despite the fact that Columbus was an Italian of Genoa commanding a Hispanic occupation force. This conflation implies that there's some connection between Anglo and Hispanic identity because of common European origins. And yet, the incompatibility of aspects of Hispanic culture with Anglo culture and the "refusal to assimilate" on the part of modern Latin American immigrants of largely Native American descent is now cited as a reason for opposing "excessive" immigration.

What does this mean, exactly? Hispanic identity becomes divorced from Anglo identity once the Indians are successfully indoctrinated with it?
    The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. -Peter Kropotkin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    When I criticized Christopher Columbus's legacy and the nature of the Spanish occupation of America, this underwent the usual rightist analysis of screeching about political correctness (is it not ironic that to be against "PC" is probably the most "PC" position out there?), and my commentary was depicted as anti-Anglo despite the fact that Columbus was an Italian of Genoa commanding a Hispanic occupation force. This conflation implies that there's some connection between Anglo and Hispanic identity because of common European origins. And yet, the incompatibility of aspects of Hispanic culture with Anglo culture and the "refusal to assimilate" on the part of modern Latin American immigrants of largely Native American descent is now cited as a reason for opposing "excessive" immigration.

What does this mean, exactly? Hispanic identity becomes divorced from Anglo identity once the Indians are successfully indoctrinated with it?
    I'm thinking Hogtrash will agree with you. He feels the same way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What you refer to as excessive immigration is illegal immigration. There are yearly quotas to prevent massive influxes of immigrants. And its very important during times like these when there is a serious recession.

Do you just hate white people? or do you just hate history because you can't change it?
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its always the "illegal" part that gets overlooked.
    What are reparations? Making me pay
    for something I had nothing to do with compensates no one
    who suffered an injustice therefore I would be penalized for
    something I didnt do and someone else would receive a settlement
    for an injury they did not suffer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cat slave View Post
    Its always the "illegal" part that gets overlooked.
    Yep, they want to call them everything but what they are. Then bring up history to condemn all the white people in this country. Agna wants to extend his condemnation to white people in every country.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, while I'm not a proponent of what's called the "Black Legend" per se, I've always noted that the Hispanic invasion was a particularly vicious and brutal one and inflicted far higher casualties than the Anglo invasion. So no, there's no such conflation on my part.

At any rate, my question goes unanswered.
    The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. -Peter Kropotkin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default You did't quite finish at the top of your class did ya einstein?

(is it not ironic that to be against "PC" is probably the most "PC" position out there?),
    The most "PC" position out there is to hate white people and to make lame excuses for the rest, Mr PC.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default You did't quite finish at the top of your class did ya einstein?

(is it not ironic that to be against "PC" is probably the most "PC" position out there?),
    The most "PC" position out there is to hate white people and to make lame excuses for the rest, Mr PC.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not surprising that my question again goes unanswered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know much about hispanic history but I used live in new mexico and loved the culture. I used to have fun making tamales on xmas eve with my best friend and her grandma, we also used to eat tortillas as an afterschool snack, just put them right on the stovetop and melt butter on them YUM!

I had a major crush on a navajo indian, and he told me his version of thanksgiving was that white people poisoned the indians food and gave them alcohol to wreck them so they could steal the indians land, I thought he was hispanic and he got all offended and said he wasn't mexican he was navajo indian. So I guess there is a racial distinction. Whatever, he was goodlooking, thats all I know
    Last edited by chloe; 11-22-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Not surprising that my question again goes unanswered.
    Why don't you state CLEARLY what your question is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I'm with everyone else here - exactly what is your question? It seems that you made a statement/explanation and then asked a rhetorial question that needs no answer. Ask specifically and I'm sure that one of us Anglo-Americans will attempt to answer it.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    what is the question? I thought he was just making a statement and wanted us to talk amongst ourselves....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    I'm with everyone else here - exactly what is your question? It seems that you made a statement/explanation and then asked a rhetorial question that needs no answer. Ask specifically and I'm sure that one of us Anglo-Americans will attempt to answer it.
    If anything he needs to dumb it down for me....