Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Still Learning To Use My D300

I haven't quite got the lighting down the way I want it (which is what I was doing, working on lighting). Its still a work in progress. OH and I have a thing for .308's. Heres a few of my rifles. I'm still getting to much flash bounce and background shadows.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

They look a little soft, and I think I found out why. Take this image:

You shot it at 200mm focal length, yet the shutter was only 1/60th. Try to keep shutter speed's /xxth value equal to the focal length. For example, that shot at 1/200th would have been sharper.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    They look a little soft, and I think I found out why. Take this image:

You shot it at 200mm focal length, yet the shutter was only 1/60th. Try to keep shutter speed's /xxth value equal to the focal length. For example, that shot at 1/200th would have been sharper.
    Thanks Darin, I'll have to try that tomorrow when I setup to play again. Some of the pictures I was using 2 flash units and some I was using a flash and 2 light stands. I also had a Gary Fong Dome on some of the pictures. I'll replace the existing pictures once I re-shoot them.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still looks like a .22 to me. But I guess wingers generally value form over function.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wazmo Nariz View Post
    Still looks like a .22 to me. But I guess wingers generally value form over function.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Set up a flash to light up behind the rifle and pull it forward a bit, away from the backdrop, should take out the shadows. Those suckers look like they would be a kick in the butt to shoot.

Have you taken that D300 out for a day of shooting? I brought it to an air show in Florida where there were over a thousand planes that had flown in, must of walked 10 miles at least. That camera gets pretty damn heavy over the course of the day, I can't imagine carrying the D3 around. My Pentax 6x7 is a pain, it weighs over 4 pounds.
    Last edited by Sitarro; 06-11-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    No matter where I've traveled or how great the trip was, it's always wonderful to return to my country, The United States of America......... me