Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Houl the bus here Crin..."Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

So you believe that art which depicts a likeness of an animal on earth goes against god?
    A graven image = idol = something worshipped. A sculpture for the sake of art would be something entirely different.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Yeah but thats not the way its worded, granted that may be what they mean but if so its not clear, as it says "any graven image, or any likeness...
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah but thats not the way its worded, granted that may be what they mean but if so its not clear, as it says "any graven image, or any likeness...
    likeness would include a picture that might be worshipped also. Art isn't out of bounds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit View Post
    Every monotheistic religion views their favorite invisible sky wizard as the "Only One", and there have been many throughout history. Please be specific.
    Specificity is, apparently, beyond their grasp. *sigh*
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"One nation under God" begs the question of just which god.
    There is a point at which the open minded have become so very open minded that the brain falls completely out, BP. There is only one God.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Lots off ppl love taking that line and making it into something it's not - completely missing the point. God's point was this "Stop worshiping STUFF...man-made things, and worship Me". Ppl LOVE to assign holiness to objects - crucifixes, etc - and before too long they start to misplace their worship.

There's NO biblical prohibition against a painting of some white dude and calling him "Jesus".
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    There is a point at which the open minded have become so very open minded that the brain falls completely out, BP. There is only one God.
    A matter of opinion...not fact. And the fact is that arguing about religion is no different than arguing about ones taste in art.
    Fascism has come to America, wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. His name is Trump.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. - George Orwell...The New GOP motto.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Specificity is, apparently, beyond their grasp. *sigh*
    Well Bully some of us have other obligations than getting to the board everyday, I saw your post but had no time to reply, so I will try now

IMO there is only one God, your correct there are many different religions with as many different names for God, but IMO we are all worshiping the same God, God is a name, it is what you believe and what is in your heart that will make ya right in his eyes, I am sure your name is not bullpulpit but that is what you are called here, I call ya bully, see different names but the same person, No I don't feel all religions are right but I also don't feel it is for me to judge , God may be called different names but again it is not for me to decide what is correct

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Maybe no one noticed how people were freaking out over a copy of a picture of the lady of Guadalupe. Thousands of people lined up to bow down, weep and treat a painting as though it were a god. That's insane.

Every time someone paints a picture that is supposed to represent Jesus there will be others who will treat the picture itself as a deity or holy. I'm of the opinion that it causes others to stumble and therein lies a problem.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Maybe no one noticed how people were freaking out over a copy of a picture of the lady of Guadalupe. Thousands of people lined up to bow down, weep and treat a painting as though it were a god. That's insane.

Every time someone paints a picture that is supposed to represent Jesus there will be others who will treat the picture itself as a deity or holy. I'm of the opinion that it causes others to stumble and therein lies a problem.
    Good point, and that is one mistake I've seen several Catholics make.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by bullypulpit
    "One nation under God" begs the question of just which god.
    Every monotheistic religion views their favorite invisible sky wizard as the "Only One", and there have been many throughout history. Please be specific.
    How condescendingly rude...
    Last edited by HogTrash; 12-06-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post
    You know what they say about people in glass houses...
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    Well I thought God was pretty clear on it.

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
    Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
    Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
    Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
    Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
    This explains the Church's position on this quite well: http://www.catholic.com/library/Do_C...ip_Statues.asp

I believe the meaning of the Commandment is to forbid idol worship. Surely God wouldn't restrict us from drawing pictures of fish!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post
    Meet Bully, one of the biggest assholes on the internet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Meet Bully, one of the biggest assholes on the internet.
    Project much?