Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Scores of Utah shelter animals used in research

Abandoned dogs, cats and livestock from Utah animal shelters are regular subjects of laboratory research at the University of Utah each year.

That's because of a little-known state law that requires government-run pounds to turn animals over to researchers if asked.

The practice gained wider publicity after the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals earlier this month reported findings from one of its agents who spent eight months working undercover at University of Utah research facilities.

University officials have vigorously denied PETA complaints about neglectful and harmful conditions at the labs. They acknowledge use of shelter animals in research for nearly two decades.

They said they only collect animals from shelters willing to participate and add that pound animals are steered toward nonlethal experiments. Cats and dogs at the lab get excellent veterinary care, and survivors are placed into a volunteer-run adoption program, they said.

Roughly a third of the 276 shelter animals taken to the university's labs in 2007 and 2008 were later adopted, according to state records.

"The public needs to understand that we are all pet owners," said Jack Taylor, director of the university's Office of Comparative Medicine and a veterinary pathologist. "These animals are used in research that is helpful to humans and animals and then returned to a normal existence as soon as possible."

The Humane Society of Utah wants a repeal of the law that allows animals from government-funded shelters to be used for research.

"Mandatory pound seizure is disastrous to appropriate sheltering of companion animals," said Holly Sizemore, executive director of No More Homeless Pets in Utah, a nonprofit aimed at ending animal euthanasia.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/stat...a20fe4e00.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not terribly surprised. The U of U is of the devil...
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

=/
    Make you sick ta think about it,
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before we brought about "pound reform" in Nashville in the early 90s they
    participated in pound seizure and kept Vanderbilt supplied and most likely
    provided "material" for dog fighting training....going by some conversations
    I had with men there to "get dogs" and watching the interaction with the
    pound workers. It was a hell hole there but better now...still too much
    killing going on.
    What are reparations? Making me pay
    for something I had nothing to do with compensates no one
    who suffered an injustice therefore I would be penalized for
    something I didnt do and someone else would receive a settlement
    for an injury they did not suffer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Not terribly surprised. The U of U is of the devil...
    Does Best Friends not address things like that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cat slave View Post
    Does Best Friends not address things like that?
    No, they don't. My parents have donated to best friends, they are a fine organization but not an activist group. The shelters and humane society have a big problm out here, For the past 6 months they have been running stories about people abandoning their pets, and the shelters are in need of adoptions and foster homes for pets. They have euthanized so many this past year I guess they are selling them off for research now. There is not alot of animal activism out here, some but not alot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I guess Best Friends has to set the "gold standard" for sanctuaries
    and others address the activism part.

Yes, this has been a bad year for pets. A nearby county shelter did a "free"
    weekend....they gave away free animals, all fixed of course but thats nothing
    Ive ever seen before. Theres been a lot on the news about shelters and ACs
    being inundated by owner surrender animals, due to a large part they say to
    the economy. Another shelter in Nashville had a program going to help people
    keep their cats, food, litter etc.

We live in a very rural area and this county in the Upper Cumberland region
    of TN has no animal services at all. Not even a vet. We have to drive
    45 minutes to get to a vet. Our road is also a dead end on the river and
    many animals get dumped there and I dont go there anymore because we
    have all we can handle!

Today there was a Jack Russell on my road and it acted lost, no collar,
    but we just had to go on by and hope surely some dog person would
    pick it up. We have 11 large dogs already.....saturated, completely.

Animals have a hard time even when the economy is good but are
    really suffering now.

I hate the practice of vivisection. With all the technology why is it
    still around???

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Out of the 68 views that this topic has had, i wonder how many people have came in and gone 'egh, thats disgusting, this must stop' and then sat down that night to some freshly murdered lumps of flesh and thought 'delicious'
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Out of the 68 views that this topic has had, i wonder how many people have came in and gone 'egh, thats disgusting, this must stop' and then sat down that night to some freshly murdered lumps of flesh and thought 'delicious'
    Me................I did!!!! Well, it wasn't freshly murdered, it was somewhat aged before I incorporated it into my meal, and yes, it was quite delicious.

I think I have more of the "hunter" in me than the "gatherer" and I have blood type O positive so this what I believe:

Blood Type O

Blood Type O is the oldest blood type in the world (evolved around 40,000 BC), and is traced back to CroMagnon man. People with Blood Type O have the hardiest digestive systems. They are the meat-eaters. Persons with Blood Type O need animal protein for good health, as well as vegetables and fruits. However, carbohydrates should be kept to a minimum, since the Blood Type O person cannot digest carbohydrates very well, especially wheat products containing gluten. This person will do well on a high animal protein, low carbohydrate diet; and, dairy products should be kept to a minimum. Persons with Blood Type O produce a lot of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs, and it is this great abundance of stomach acid that allows them to digest animal protein favorably. And, because their digestive systems already contain a lot of stomach acid, they should avoid drinking coffee, since coffee will cause them to produce even more stomach acid, and this tends to make them prone to peptic ulcers, especially if they are constantly under a great deal of stress. They should drink more green tea, instead of coffee. Persons with Blood Type O tend to have low thyroid and sluggish metabolisms; therefore, they should supply their diets with sea kelp and seafood to obtain natural iodine to stimulate their thyroids. The best exercises for these persons are the vigorous workouts like jogging, power walking, aerobics, weight training, etc. The harder they exercise, the better they will feel. Get the heart rate going, and sweat up a storm to burn calories, alleviate stress and eliminate depression!
    http://www.runtheplanet.com/training.../bloodtype.asp
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    Me................I did!!!! Well, it wasn't freshly murdered, it was somewhat aged before I incorporated it into my meal, and yes, it was quite delicious.
    I really can't put my thoughts about this into words, but you're not stupid, so i fail to see why you just chose to act is such a hypocritical manor.

I think I have more of the "hunter" in me than the "gatherer" and I have blood type O positive so this what I believe:

http://www.runtheplanet.com/training.../bloodtype.asp

Wow, looked up the website, thats what you chose to set your diet by?

Other foods to avoid
    Meat: bacon; goose; ham; pork. Seafood: barracuda, catfish, caviar, conch, herring (pickled), lox (smoked salmon), octopus.

Cheeses & Dairy: American cheese, blue cheese, brie, buttermilk, Camembert, casein, cheddar cheese, colby, cottage cheese, cream cheese, edam, emmenthal, goat milk, gouda, gruyere, ice cream, Jarlsburg; kefir, Monterey Jack, munster, parmesan, provolone, Neufchatel, ricotta, skim or 2% milk, string cheese, Swiss cheese, whey, whole milk, yogurt, all varieties.

Oils: corn, cottonseed, peanut, safflower;

Nuts & Seeds: brazil nuts, cashew, litchi, peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios, poppy seeds.

Beans & Legumes: copper, kidney, navy, tamarind, lentils (domestic, green & red).

Cereals: cornflakes, cornmeal, cream of wheat, familia, farina, grape nuts, seven-grain, shredded wheat, wheat bran, wheat germ.

Grains & Pastas: bulgur wheat flour, couscous flour, durum wheat flour, gluten flour, graham flour, soba noodles, semolina pasta, spinach pasta, sprouted wheat flour, white flour, whole wheat flour.

Vegetables: avocado, cabbage (Chinese, red, white), cauliflower, white & yellow corn, eggplant, domestic & Shiitake mushrooms, mustard greens, olives (black, Greek, Spanish), potatoes (red & white), alfalfa sprouts, brussel sprouts;

Fruits: blackberries, coconuts, melon (cantaloupe & honeydew), oranges, plantains, rhubarb, strawberries, tangerines;

Juices: apple, apple cider, cabbage, orange.
    Spices: capers, cinnamon, cornstarch, corn syrup, nutmeg, black & white pepper, vanilla, vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red & white wine).
    Condiments: ketchup, mayonnaise, pickles (kosher, dill, sweet & sweet pickle relish).

Herbal Teas: alfalfa, aloe, burdock, coltsfoot, corn silk, echinacea, gentian, goldenseal, red clover, rhubarb, Saint-John's Wort, senna, shepherd's purse, strawberry leaf, yellow dock.

Beverages: coffee (regular & decaf), distilled liquor, all sodas, black teas.
    Thats quite a list!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I really can't put my thoughts about this into words, but you're not stupid, so i fail to see why you just chose to act is such a hypocritical manor.

How am I a hypocrite? I grew up on a farm raising and killing our food. some of our food we didn't raise, went out and hunted it. Just because I have the capacity to kill and eat an animal does not preclude believing they should be treated with respect and blessed when they do sacrifice themselves or us.

And just because there are some people running around in a dither and flapping their hands because there are meat eaters in the world, doesn't mean meat eaters need to feel guilty about something.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Wow, looked up the website, thats what you chose to set your diet by?

thats quite a list!
    Perhaps you are a blood type A

Blood Type A

People with Blood Type A evolved from the hunter/meat-eater to the agrarian, and were the farmers and grain gatherers. This blood type evolved between 25,000 and 15,000 bC. They have fragile digestive systems. These people cannot tolerate animal protein well, and should be the proverbial, classic "vegetarian" of the human species. They also are usually lactose intolerant, as well. Persons with Blood Type A should avoid animal protein and dairy products, and would do well with whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Tofu and Hawaiian Spirulina should become the Blood Type A person's best friends, as these foods contains high-quality vegetable protein! Persons with Blood Type A do not produce enough hydrochloric acid in their stomachs, and that is why they have a difficult time digesting animal protein well. This also gives them a predisposition toward getting stomach cancer, and should never eat smoked or cured meats due to the sodium nitrites in them. Animal protein and dairy products tend to rot and ferment in their digestive tracts, and the toxic bacteria backs up into their tissues and muscles, thereby causing digestive distress. A lack of sufficient hydrochloric acid in their stomachs is another reason that persons with Blood Type A do not absorb Vitamin B12 properly from the foods they eat. Vitamin B12 is normally found in red meat, although B12 is also found in superior vegetable protein foods such as Hawaiian Spirulina, soy products and sea kelp. This inability to absorb Vitamin B12 sufficiently from food tends to make the person with Blood Type A prone to pernicious anemia. Therefore, supplementing the diet with Vitamin B12 is critical. Also recommended is supplementation with digestive enzymes such as betaine, bromelain and papain. Bromelain is derived from pineapple, and assists with the digestion of animal protein. Betaine will help to increase the amount of hydrochloric acid in their stomachs. The best exercise for these persons is not the heavy, vigorous workouts, but more calming, centering exercises like Tai Chi, Hatha Yoga and golfing. These soothing types of exercises will relieve the Blood Type A person's stress in a more beneficial way.

Foods that encourage weight gain - Meat; dairy food; kidney beans; lima beans; wheat (in overabundance); and, of course, sugar and white flour.

Foods that encourage weight loss - Vegetables oils, such as olive and flaxseed; soy foods; spirulina; vegetables; pineapple.

Other foods to avoid

Meat & Poultry: bacon, beef, ground beef, buffalo, duck, goose, ham, hart, lamb, liver, mutton, partridge, pheasant, pork, rabbit, veal, venison, quail.
    Seafood: anchovy, barracuda, beluga, bluefish, bluegill bass, catfish, caviar, clam, conch, crab, crayfish, eel, flounder, frog, gray sole, haddock, hake, halibut, herring (fresh & pickled), lobster, lox (smoked salmon), mussels, octopus, oysters, scallop, shad, shrimp, sole, squid (calamari), striped bass, tilefish, turtle.
    Cheese/Dairy: American, blue cheese, brie, butter, buttermilk, Camembert, casein, cheddar, colby, cottage, cream cheese, edam, Emmenthal, gouda, gruyere, ice cream, Jarlsberg, Monterey jack, Munster, Parmesan, provolone, Neufchatel, sherbet, skim or 2% milk, Swiss, whey, whole milk.
    Oils: corn, cottonseed oil, peanut, safflower, sesame.
    Nuts & Seeds: brazil, cashews, pistachios.
    Beans & Legumes: copper, garbanzo, kidney, lima, navy, red beans, tamarind beans.
    Cereals: cream of wheat, familia, farina, granola, grape nuts, wheat germ, seven grain, shredded wheat, wheat bran.
    Breads & Muffins: English muffins, high-protein bread, matzos wheat, multi-grain bread, pumpernickel, wheat bran muffins, whole wheat bread.
    Grains & Pastas: white & whole wheat flour, semolina & spinach pasta.
    Vegetables: cabbage (Chinese, red, white), eggplant, lima beans, mushroom (domestic), olives (black, Greek, Spanish), peppers (green, jalapeno, red, yellow), potatoes (sweet, red, white), tomatoes, yams.
    Fruits: bananas, coconuts, mangoes, melon (cantaloupe & honeydew), oranges, papayas, plantains, rhubarb, tangerines.
    Juices: orange, papaya, tomato.
    Spices: capers, plain gelatin, pepper (black, cayenne, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, white), vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red wine, white), wintergreen.
    Condiments: ketchup, mayonnaise, pickles, pickle relish, Worcestershire sauce.
    Herbal Teas: catnip, cayenne, corn silk, red clover, rhubarb, yellow dock. Beverages: beer, distilled liquor, seltzer water, all sodas, black teas

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I'm O neg.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm O neg.
    Noir I can't stand the thought of animals being killed, I feel bad when I see them at the zoo all caged up, and even thinking about cats and dogs needing homes makes me sad, but I still eat meat. So I suppose I must not feel bad enough. At least I admit it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    How am I a hypocrite? I grew up on a farm raising and killing our food. some of our food we didn't raise, went out and hunted it. Just because I have the capacity to kill and eat an animal does not preclude believing they should be treated with respect and blessed when they do sacrifice themselves or us.

And just because there are some people running around in a dither and flapping their hands because there are meat eaters in the world, doesn't mean meat eaters need to feel guilty about something.
    Sweet jezy crezy, you honestly have the gaul to suggest that you think animals should be treated with respect? Is that after you slit their throats? or after you pull out their guts? or after you eat their flesh?

Suggesting that you have respect for creatures that you will happily murder and eat is akin to a rapist having respect for his victims, i.e. maybe in their own twisted mind, but that is not the kind of mind from which you should take a fair judgement i'm sure you'd agree.

I do not run about flapping my hands, meat eaters and murderers exist and they always will. The fact that i happened to point how the hypocrisy of reactions could hardly be considered an over-reaction by any stretch of the imagination

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty about anything, you were the one that decided you feel bad about the story in the OP, i just find it stupendous that you can not then relate the same thoughts to other aspects of your life,