Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Default Gonna buy a gun...

But which one?

As some of you may have noticed, I recently moved to New Mexico. A very gun friendly state. As a result of this move and the friendliness of the gun laws here, a whole myriad of options are available to me. AK-47? Cheap and readily available. AR-15? Take your pick. I have decided that my first, but by no means my last, gun purchase in this Land of Enchantment will be one that would be illegal to own in my previous state of residence, though I have not decided on which one.

I am open to suggestions...
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It depends on what you're going to do with it mick.

Personal protection, plinkin or hunting?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

If you already have something in 5.56 or .223 go with the AR-15. AR-15's are really cheap right now. The market was saturated and now the manufacturers are selling them cheap. You should be able to pick one up for about $800. The ammo is still a little easier to get for the AR it seems like as well.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    If you already have something in 5.56 or .223 go with the AR-15. AR-15's are really cheap right now. The market was saturated and now the manufacturers are selling them cheap. You should be able to pick one up for about $800. The ammo is still a little easier to get for the AR it seems like as well.
    I like the new Springfield Armory M1A1...7.62x51mm Nato round which is also the civilian 308 Winchester round.

They have a new model called a SOCOM...It's accurate, hardhitting, well made and reliable but a bit expensive.

The gun has lots of accessaries and it is hard to find because they usually sell out as soon as they hit the store.
    http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GAA9626

Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    It depends on what you're going to do with it mick.

Personal protection, plinkin or hunting?
    I don't hunt, I already have a .357, a 12 gauge, and a Colt 1911 for home protection, so I guess it will be mostly for plinkin and collecting.

I do like the ARs, but the selection of similar weapons is so varied and tempting. I mean an FN FS2000? How cool are those?
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    I don't hunt, I already have a .357, a 12 gauge, and a Colt 1911 for home protection, so I guess it will be mostly for plinkin and collecting.

I do like the ARs, but the selection of similar weapons is so varied and tempting. I mean an FN FS2000? How cool are those?
    Sorry, I thought this was a first gun thing. For plinkin I like a .22 cal, it's cheap and fun.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was a first gun thing. For plinkin I like a .22 cal, it's cheap and fun.
    No apology necessary. It's more of a "thumb my nose at the California laws" thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No apology necessary. It's more of a "thumb my nose at the California laws" thing.
    Ok!

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post
    I like the new Springfield Armory M1A1...7.62x51mm Nato round which is also the civilian 308 Winchester round.

They have a new model called a SOCOM...It's accurate, hardhitting, well made and reliable but a bit expensive.

The gun has lots of accessaries and it is hard to find because they usually sell out as soon as they hit the store.

I have one for sale right now actually, lol!
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post

That's nice...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I didn't suggest M1A because it sounded like you wanted a menacing and oh so much more dangerous, "ASSAULT WEAPON".

If you put the M1A into a Sage International stock (EBR) which was designed for the Navy Seals or a Troy MCS then you will have all the characteristics of an, "ASSAULT WEAPON".

If you want to see all that you can do with an M1A check out http://ebrsopmods.proboards.com/index.cgi

If I could only have 1 rifle it would be an M1A in a Scout model with the 18" barrel. Its big enough to hunt and you can get 20 round mags for it. 7.62x51 (.308 Winchester) is my favorite all around rifle caliber.

There is a difference between the 7.62x51 (7.62 Nato) and .308 Winchester. http://www.fulton-armory.com/308.htm
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a difference between the 7.62x51 (7.62 Nato) and .308 Winchester. http://www.fulton-armory.com/308.htm
    This is very informative...Thank you for posting this crin63.

I have interchanged these ammunitions but will be more aware from now on.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Truth is, I don't know what I want except I would prefer something that is illegal in California just for shits and giggles. An M1 is on my list of "someday" guns.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Truth is, I don't know what I want except I would prefer something that is illegal in California just for shits and giggles. An M1 is on my list of "someday" guns.
    Does spending $$ on a weapon just to spite a state that you DON'T live in really make sense?

Just askin.

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you have money to blow, a .50 then.

or a plinker plus a user i think it is called the R-17. just like the AR-15 but in a 6m round
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759