Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default Intervention?

I'm in this “beer night” ski league and last Monday was our first race of the season. Our Team drew a high number and ended up near the back of the start. I was going up on the chair when Team One went and got to observe their form. One is a former Olympian, then her brother who's a lot faster, one who was on the Austrian ski team, then the head coach for the resort team. First race, first runs, smooth-fast snow, needless to say they were ripping the course.

By the time it’s our turn the course is well rutted. Nothing real bad but not smooth either. It was about 20 degrees and the snow was real hard, so the ruts weren't deep but they were very angular.

I always make a little sign of the cross before each run, and this time was no exception. I pray for my safety, not speed, as I figure the latter isn't and shouldn't be important to God. Just give me safety Lord, and leave the rest up to me.

I'm in the gate crouched down with my shins on the timer bar, get the go and launch up and out, then skate and pole to the first gate. I carved some great turns tucking most of them real low, in my zone riding easily over the ruts and was early for every turn.

About 5th from the end I can't see the second gate in front of me. I'm tight on the front gate and riding my outside ski hard and ready for the transition. Where the hell is the next gate? Hello, are you up there? I come out of my tuck and finally see it half-bent over and carve around it wide and late. But I didn't jam the turn or lose speed, and I'm really flying.

Another right-left then the final gate to go, I come out of the second and bounce a rut or something because now I'm "doing a Bode" with my inside ski in the air catching the wind. I'm looking at the near straight line between me, the last gate and the finish line with my new outside ski in the air carrying my foot to the outside. The "oh-shit-on-my-ass" instinct somehow gives way to "bring-your-leg-down" which I do, and I smack the last gate and reach for my tips as I cross the line.

Normally there's a small group of racers who just finished about thirty yards down the hill looking for their teammates progress and its an easy stop to join them. I'm moving so fast though so end up another thirty yards past them, looking at the ground in front of me and trying to catch my breathe. I then stand up straight and look up at the night sky just in time to see a medium sized white bird flying away from me, right over the finish shack about 80 yards away. You never see a bird that big in the mountains during the winter, especially this cold, all the naked tree branches covered perfectly with white. The only birds I see at this elevation and during the cold weather are little smoke-blue colored that ground nest in the rhododendrons, and then only around during the day.

I wasn’t surprised, and scored gold, four points, for our team.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

=/
    You know i'd be pretty pissed if i believed in god and was praying for the health of a loved on who was ill, and found out that instead he was spending his time on the beer night ski league.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

You're an atheist so shouldn't care either way.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    You're an atheist so shouldn't care either way.
    Glad to see your tackling the point, not attacking the poster, as always ^_^
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Glad to see your tackling the point, not attacking the poster, as always ^_^
    I don't need to attack the point since it's obviously due to incredible ignorance of the subject, and since you have no interest in knowing God.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

I don't need to attack the point since it's obviously due to incredible ignorance of the subject, and since you have no interest in knowing God.
    Ah, so because i don't think that God is personally intervening in my life to make sure i break my current high-score in Dance Dance Revolution i'm the ignorant one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

=/
    You know i'd be pretty pissed if i believed in god and was praying for the health of a loved on who was ill, and found out that instead he was spending his time on the beer night ski league.
    Obviously you know nothing about God - God is the ultimate multi-tasker........not only can he listen to you pray he can watch beer night skiing, and whisper in my ear no to trust the guy walking towards me and to get my taser out.

So you being pissed just shows your ignorance about God's abilities.

PS - think I addressed the point and made personal reference - do I score extra points!??? LOL!!!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Ah, so because i don't think that God is personally intervening in my life to make sure i break my current high-score in Dance Dance Revolution i'm the ignorant one.
    You're reasoning alone proves your ignorance. LOL

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    Obviously you know nothing about God - God is the ultimate multi-tasker........not only can he listen to you pray he can watch beer night skiing, and whisper in my ear no to trust the guy walking towards me and to get my taser out.

So you being pissed just shows your ignorance about God's abilities.

PS - think I addressed the point and made personal reference - do I score extra points!??? LOL!!!
    Well ofcourse he can do everything and anything all at once, how stupid of me and of all the things he could do, like i duuno, stop an earthquake happening that leads to countless deaths and misery...but why would he bother doing that when he could turn glock into a speed daemon /sark.

Ofcourse the answer to that is 'god must let evil happen'...'god moves in mysterious ways'...ect, but you can't have it both ways, i.e. when something good happens 'it must have been intervention' and when something bad happens 'oh no...he can't intervene, bad things have to happen' The answer changes depending on the situation =/

Extra points on there way to you...and with a little flutter of eyelashes they'll be doubled

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Well ofcourse he can do everything and anything all at once, how stupid of me and of all the things he could do, like i duuno, stop an earthquake happening that leads to countless deaths and misery...but why would he bother doing that when he could turn glock into a speed daemon /sark.

Ofcourse the answer to that is 'god must let evil happen'...'god moves in mysterious ways'...ect, but you can't have it both ways, i.e. when something good happens 'it must have been intervention' and when something bad happens 'oh no...he can't intervene, bad things have to happen' The answer changes depending on the situation =/

Extra points on there way to you...and with a little flutter of eyelashes they'll be doubled
    Noir - no where did I say God intervenes..........just listens and whispers encouragement, or reminds us of our strengths. And while God is very powerful, Mother Nature is definitely a force to be considered.

If Glock wants to believe the white bird he saw was his own personal connection to God who are you to say otherwise? Maybe he was paying more attention than others.........anyway, my own personal belief is that Earth is a living organism and that humans and animals are like fleas or lice and every once in a while she shrugs and shakes to get rid of some of the fleas and other parasites. Perhaps God is answering Earth's prayers by not stopping the earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

.....but why would he bother doing that when he could turn glock into a speed daemon....
    Not only are you ignorant about God but your reading comprehension is also terrible. LOL

I pray for my safety, not speed, as I figure the latter isn't and shouldn't be important to God. Just give me safety Lord, and leave the rest up to me.....
    Last edited by glockmail; 01-14-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hallaluya!...Praise God!

=/
    You should rejoyce in the realization that your prayers have miraculously healed your loved one and that is why he is on the ski slopes with friends, drinking beer and enjoying life.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Not only are you ignorant about God but your reading comprehension is also terrible. LOL
    True indeed, i dunno why, i literally read you're story like 4 times, but just couldn't get it, the best i could get was that you came first place in a skiing challenge, and as you saw a big bird it must of been through gods hand,

I pray for my safety, not speed, as I figure the latter isn't and shouldn't be important to God. Just give me safety Lord, and leave the rest up to me.....
    So how exactly did god intervene?
    Last edited by Noir; 01-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

True indeed, i dunno why, i literally read you're story like 4 times, but just couldn't get it, the best i could get was that you came first place in a skiing challenge, and as you saw a big bird it must of been through gods hand,

So how exactly did god intervene?
    God didn't intervene - he just gave Glock the confidence to pull it off and gave him a sign that he was there watching and giving him support.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No we use NASTAR rules, where we race against a pacesetter for 1 point (completion), 2 points (bronze), 3 points (silver), four points (gold) and 5 points (platinum). There are many different brackets with respect to sex and age, so a 21 year old male can compete against an 85 year old female.

Team One has two pacesetters and they pick whoever did best against their own fixed handicaps (one is a 5, the other is an 8) to score everyone. They have obtained their fixed handicaps by racing directly against the number one racer in the US, which I believe happens at the annual finals at Steamboat. In my bracket to score gold I have to get no more than 23.99% slower that the pacesetter.

So no, I didn't get even close to first place, but that wasn't the point of this thread as I pointed out to you yet again.