Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Default Better to believe in a false God than no God?

Hey guys, just posting this as its popped into my head, i'm am currently in correspondence with a young lady from Bahrain, who has been raised Muslim, but the older she is growing the more oppressive she feels her religion is and to cut a long story short she wants out of it, and all religion for that matter. However, in a twist that i was not expecting, she does not know if she should tell her parents that she is an atheist, or that she wants to convert to another religion. Because even though she knows she does not believe in any Gods she thinks that she will be more of a target of abuse if she becomes atheist. Tis a most horrid position to be in,

and thus i got thinking, what with this being a mainly Christian board, would you rather that your Friend, co-worker, child ect was an atheist and believed in no gods, or was a theist but believed in (as far as you're concerned) the wrong god?

EDIT -I phrased the question badly, it should rather read - What i should of asked is, if a Friend, co-worker, child ect was turning away from the Christian religion, would you rather they became the follower of another religion or an atheist.
    Last edited by Noir; 02-26-2010 at 10:01 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I don't want anyone to believe in a false god however those who have had to little to no experience with religion are easier to reach than those messed up by false religions.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    I don't want anyone to believe in a false god however those who have had to little to no experience with religion are easier to reach than those messed up by false religions.
    Indeed, sorry i hve worded the question wrongly i realise, as it implys they may of been of a 'false' religion or no religion all their life and could convert to christainity,

What i should of asked is, if a Friend, co-worker, child ect was turning away from the Christian religion, would you rather they became the follower of another religion or an atheist.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Indeed, sorry i hve worded the question wrongly i realise, as it implys they may of been of a 'false' religion or no religion all their life and could convert to christainity,

What i should of asked is, if a Friend, co-worker, child ect was turning away from the Christian religion, would you rather they became the follower of another religion or an atheist.
    Thats a tough position but I would probably rather they were an athiest because they wouldn't have all that corrupt information of a false religion to have to wade through in the future. Its easier for an athiest to end up seeing there is a God and embracing Him than it is to undo the mess of false religion.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im not of the opinion that simply because someone has a different religion they believe in a different God.

With that said, I think belief is more likely to bring someone to God than disbelief.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him" - Voltaire
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

If they are under Shariah law, I'd tell her to be very careful and quiet about leaving the Muslim faith as the punishment for doing so is death.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    If they are under Shariah law, I'd tell her to be very careful and quiet about leaving the Muslim faith as the punishment for doing so is death.
    Indeedy i have, but she says it no as bad in Bahrain as it is in some nearby countries, but that to become 'atheist' as apsoe to another religion is to invite trouble

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey guys, just posting this as its popped into my head, i'm am currently in correspondence with a young lady from Bahrain, who has been raised Muslim, but the older she is growing the more oppressive she feels her religion is and to cut a long story short she wants out of it, and all religion for that matter. However, in a twist that i was not expecting, she does not know if she should tell her parents that she is an atheist, or that she wants to convert to another religion. Because even though she knows she does not believe in any Gods she thinks that she will be more of a target of abuse if she becomes atheist. Tis a most horrid position to be in,

and thus i got thinking, what with this being a mainly Christian board, would you rather that your Friend, co-worker, child ect was an atheist and believed in no gods, or was a theist but believed in (as far as you're concerned) the wrong god?

EDIT -I phrased the question badly, it should rather read - What i should of asked is, if a Friend, co-worker, child ect was turning away from the Christian religion, would you rather they became the follower of another religion or an atheist.
    Acts 17 pretty much sets man straight on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acts 17:22-31
    22 ¶ Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
    23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
    24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25 Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
    26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
    27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
    28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
    29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
    30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
    31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

believers in other gods have just made different choices than I have.......agnostics are okay because they are just admitting they are confused....atheists are illogical.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

hm, this one is tough, because I would usually say that if she believes in the Atheism, then she should follow her faith, but like you said, it is viewed extremely harshly in Bahrain. Honestly, if her faith is of such importance to her that it is causing her to put herself in such a quandry, then maybe she needs to move somewhere a bit more religiously diverse where she can follow her faith without putting herself in danger.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    hm, this one is tough, because I would usually say that if she believes in the Atheism, then she should follow her faith, but like you said, it is viewed extremely harshly in Bahrain. Honestly, if her faith is of such importance to her that it is causing her to put herself in such a quandry, then maybe she needs to move somewhere a bit more religiously diverse where she can follow her faith without putting herself in danger.
    LOL...atheism is not a faith to be believed in. Atheists don't wear religious items or clothing nor do they attend religious ceremonies or services. You can't tell an atheist from a non-atheist from their outward appearance.

Unless you are prepared to argue that non-belief in the tooth fairy, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc are all religions, assuming that is that you don't actually believe in those types of make-believe things, I see no reason to assign anyone's non-belief in your made-up deity the status of a religion.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    believers in other gods have just made different choices than I have.......agnostics are okay because they are just admitting they are confused....atheists are illogical.....
    Yep, we're all idiots, if only i were more logical and believed in Zues, Ra, or Yahweh

/sark

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Indeedy it is, i'll leave aside the Atheism is a faith bit, as MM has taken that, however, the lady in question is only 15 and so moving will be out of the question for many years.
    Though your answer is telling, when the best advice you can give to someone who wants to say 'i don't believe in any Gods' is to move away from your friends and family, it shows some of the true colours of religion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yep, we're all idiots, if only i were more logical and believed in Zues, Ra, or Yahweh

/sark
    if only you were more logical and didn't pretend your beliefs weren't simply faith choices......
    ...full immersion.....