Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Default Question for atheists (from another thread)

Noir said he hoped that I was wrong about God. So, I wanted to ask the question of any atheists on the board.

Why do you hope we believers are wrong? What do you gain by living (and especially, by dying) in a Godless universe?
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Personally, I hope you are wrong because if you are right then my Grandparents are currently burning in hell because they did not worship a god. I'm sure you can imagin why I'd not be so keen on that.

Also if it so happens that your type of god is the only god then that means that countless Billions will be sent to hell through no fault of their own, but merely because of the country they were born in, or the age in which they lived.

However, you will hope that your God does exist, so you can spend forever in pleasure and happiness.

Also, I do hate this whole notion of 'your life is pointless without god' are you thus saying you could not live a happy life without god? Can you not find beauty in nature without attributing it to a god? Can you not love those around you without god? To make a statement as silly as 'your life is pointless without a god' is to deminish the life that we have,

To flip the point around, when i die, you will hope i go to hell.
    Last edited by Noir; 01-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

"my Grandparents are currently burning in hell"

So your family's fucked up through several generations?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    "my Grandparents are currently burning in hell"

So your family's fucked up through several generations?
    From your perspective, yes.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

And you blindly follow. LOL

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    And you blindly follow. LOL
    I blindly follow? I dare say you are the one who blindly follows Sir, you only hold the religion you hold because of where and when you where born.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    From your perspective, yes.

Thanks for replying, Noir. I appreciate your honesty.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Personally, I hope you are wrong because if you are right then my Grandparents are currently burning in hell because they did not worship a god. I'm sure you can imagin why I'd not be so keen on that.

Also if it so happens that your type of god is the only god then that means that countless Billions will be sent to hell through no fault of their own, but merely because of the country they were born in, or the age in which they lived.

However, you will hope that your God does exist, so you can spend forever in pleasure and happiness.

Also, I do hate this whole notion of 'your life is pointless without god' are you thus saying you could not live a happy life without god? Can you not find beauty in nature without attributing it to a god? Can you not love those around you without god? To make a statement as silly as 'your life is pointless without a god' is to deminish the life that we have,

Why would I hope you go to hell?!

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Typical liberal logic.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Why would I hope you go to hell?!
    Because i do not believe in your god, or any god for that matter. And if your God does exist then he will send me to hell, and ofcourse you must hope that your god does exist.

So in the same way that you hope that your loved ones who have passed away are in heaven because they believed, you are indirectly hoping that those who do not believe are going to/are in hell.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Because i do not believe in your god, or any god for that matter. And if your God does exist then he will send me to hell, and ofcourse you must hope that your god does exist.

So in the same way that you hope that your loved ones who have passed away are in heaven because they believed, you are indirectly hoping that those who do not believe are going to/are in hell.
    No, no, no, you have it backwards. The very reason those Evangelists that people are so annoyed by try to convert you, is so that you will spend eternity with God. I am always perplexed by how much people are hated for just trying to give others what they believe is the biggest reward possible. Aside from the few shysters out there, most do it because Jesus asked it. And for souls.

So no, I don't wish hell upon you. I can be glad and convinced that God exists, without wishing punishment on you. That is between you and God.

Anyway, aside from not having to worry about your grandparents, which is nice, what do you personally gain from not believing? What makes your life better for living/dying in a godless universe?

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Your grandparents aren't even aware of each other in hell never mind you still on earth. Fahgetaboutem.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    No, no, no, you have it backwards. The very reason those Evangelists that people are so annoyed by try to convert you, is so that you will spend eternity with God. I am always perplexed by how much people are hated for just trying to give others what they believe is the biggest reward possible. Aside from the few shysters out there, most do it because Jesus asked it. And for souls.

So no, I don't wish hell upon you. I can be glad and convinced that God exists, without wishing punishment on you. That is between you and God.

Anyway, aside from not having to worry about your grandparents, which is nice, what do you personally gain from not believing? What makes your life better for living/dying in a godless universe?
    I have no doubt that you and many others do what you do sincerely and out of caring, and i know you do not wish ill on me, or anyone else, however, it is your belief that one must follow God through Christ and have your sins forgiven ect ect, otherwise you go to hell. As such in hoping that your Gods exist, and that you are following the right one, you are hoping that others are worshiping false gods, and by the scripture that you have faith in that means they are damned to hell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, the two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I know there's a God. I know I'll go to heaven.

However, I hope, as do all Christians, that as many people as possible be saved and go to heaven as well. I don't want anyone to go to hell, I don't wish for anyone to go to hell. We are told to share the good news with people, in order to increase their chance of attaining heaven. We certainly don't do that in the hopes that you'll say "no way" and head off to the pit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, that's a lot of assumption from you, and you're still not seeing. the first commandment actually does not command reverence to god, it reads "I am the Lord thy God, worship no other gods before me", meaning that if you follow Him, then that's it, he comes first. The idea that your parents would go to hell simply for not having faith in god is one born of ignorance, and of prejudice. I really do hope you have the wisdom to get past those both.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org