Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I can explain why it is unlikely, through rational thought, infact if that's what you want to know i must suggest you read chapter 4 of the God Delusion by R. Dawkins titled 'Why there is almost certainly no God'
    1) what I want you to do is defend what you said by providing a logical argument that will support the claim "there is no god"......
    2) screw Dawkins, he's not here to defend his claims in an argument......YOU provide the defense of what you claimed....
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    1) what I want you to do is defend what you said by providing a logical argument that will support the claim "there is no god"......
    2) screw Dawkins, he's not here to defend his claims in an argument......YOU provide the defense of what you claimed....
    There you are using that pharse again. I will never support the claim "there is no god" that would be stupid, i will however support the claim "there is probably no god"
    I will happily provide the defense for what i have claimed (that there is probably no god) but i want to make that clear from the outset as you seem to have 'what i claim' a bit mixed up by suggesting i claim statements of fact rather that probibility. It is the theist not the atheist that make statements of fact about that that which they can not know.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

No, atheism comes about by rational thought.
    Not as demonstrated by you in his forum.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Not as demonstrated by you in his forum.
    Care to point out something illogical?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

You know what I'm talking about. But to acknowledge that would completely destroy your belief system.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    You know what I'm talking about. But to acknowledge that would completely destroy your belief system.
    Well if you're not going to contribute to the discussion the shu away,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There you are using that pharse again. I will never support the claim "there is no god" that would be stupid, i will however support the claim "there is probably no god"
    I will happily provide the defense for what i have claimed (that there is probably no god) but i want to make that clear from the outset as you seem to have 'what i claim' a bit mixed up by suggesting i claim statements of fact rather that probibility. It is the theist not the atheist that make statements of fact about that that which they can not know.
    I say that is what you claimed because that is what you stated....I quote "atheism comes about by rational thought".....now, what YOU support is not relevant.....atheists claim there is no god, you have said that belief is brought about by rational thought.....either you ought to retract that statement or provide evidence of how that is brought about rationally.....is that not logical?.....

all you need to do is retract "atheism comes about by rational thought" and replace it with "I think it is rational to believe a god probably does not exist"....then I have nothing to argue about.....

[quote]
    Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    I will happily provide the defense for what i have claimed (that there is probably no god) but i want to make that clear from the outset as you seem to have 'what i claim' a bit mixed up by suggesting i claim statements of fact rather that probibility.

It is the theist not the atheist that make statements of fact about that that which they can not know.
    bullshit on wheels....
    theists are honest and admit they are making statements of faith....it's the atheists who pretend it's "rational thought" instead of a statement of faith.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-04-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I will happily provide the defense for what i have claimed (that there is probably no god)
    that could prove interesting....have we had that argument before?....we've had so many I can't remember....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because i do not believe in your god, or any god for that matter. And if your God does exist then he will send me to hell, and ofcourse you must hope that your god does exist.

So in the same way that you hope that your loved ones who have passed away are in heaven because they believed, you are indirectly hoping that those who do not believe are going to/are in hell.
    No, the two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I know there's a God. I know I'll go to heaven.

However, I hope, as do all Christians, that as many people as possible be saved and go to heaven as well. I don't want anyone to go to hell, I don't wish for anyone to go to hell. We are told to share the good news with people, in order to increase their chance of attaining heaven. We certainly don't do that in the hopes that you'll say "no way" and head off to the pit.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    that could prove interesting....have we had that argument before?....we've had so many I can't remember....
    Indeedy, i don't think we have, i'm heading away for a few days and so won't have much internet access, however, i shall outline why God (Whether it be Yahweh, Zeus or any other) probably does not exist.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Righto, am no back and so will be able to continue the discussion that there is probably no god.

I'll open with the most obvious point. Complexity. Everything that is complex in our universe was once simple, and over time, billions upon billions of years, has become more complex. Now i will be the first to say that we do not know the origins of the Universe, however, that does not mean that we should postulate the belief that an infinitely more complex deity was created before the universe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Hmmm... This thread has gone to sleep... Time to wake it up!

Okay Noir, I'll bite. I can see your point of view, it is logical if you are drawing the conclusion that God is separate from the Universe. But what makes you come to that conclusion as the only possible description of God? Sure Genesis, if taken 100% literally, suggests that an all-powerful, all-knowing God decided that "He" was lonely one day and decided "He" needed some company and good cheer. But if we stick to the literal description, aren't we constricting God to fit our limited human understanding? God is indeed all-powerful, and all-knowing, but there is no reason that we humans for a second should pretend to understand God, or God's will. We simply cannot know the origin of God, because God will forever remain beyond our full grasp. That doesn't mean that God cannot comfort us, or that we shouldn't anthropomorphize God to help bring ourselves closer to God spiritually in any way that we can grasp and understand and come to know God on a personal level. I personally (as made clear above) do not take the teachings of ANY sacred text literally, as we humans cannot claim to speak for God directly, prophet or no; as humans we are by nature imperfect, so God's word can only be filtered through our (limited) human understanding. God is a paradox in that God will always be beyond our understanding (yes, forever and ever Amen) but also closer to us than our own heartbeat. I think that is why people have trouble coming to terms with God, religion and spirituality (besides the fact that all 3 are loaded terms, each with its own negative connotations): we are too close to see these things with our eyes. It's like trying to look at your own cheeks, or your lips, without a mirror; more closely, it's really like trying to look at your own eyes. The closest we can come to the mirror that we need to see God is to look at others, and to look at the world around us. It's really hard to put into words a feeling, or an understanding. Even logic has its limits when trying to express these things, as I'm sure you'll admit. As a believer, I have no fear of logic, or of debate; I don't need anyone to prove to me that the sun rises, or that the sun sets--I witness it myself every day. Not to be corny here, but I am a witness to God in everything that I do, see, & feel.
    Sean