Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Please allow me to introduce you to my hero.

'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

Beautiful music, scenery, theme and Jonathan of course.

If you only have time for one video, make it the bottom one.

Sometimes the ending can tell the story in only three minutes.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgkk0Hdwmo8&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDbToBxhZUo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHC-85nLbkA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by HogTrash; 02-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

This book really helped my 10 yr old granddaughter develop a completely different outlook on life and that having goals, even ones that her peers don't understand, are important.........and that working hard for those goals, and the things she will learn in the process, is just as important as the end result.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Besides the messege to not be afraid to break with the crowd to pursue your dreams or whenever a stuation warrants dissent, there is also a very strong spiritual messege.

I believe JLS is a timeless book that is appropriate and inspiring for all ages...I have re-read it several times in my life and am always moved by Jonathans conviction and courage.

There has always been a copy at my home and I have encouraged my children to read it from a young age and to re-read it as they grow older.

Sadly, many of us encourage our children to abandon their uniqueness and dreams and to follow the flock.

I believe the simplicity of Jonathan contains great wisdom for the old as well as the very young.

May we all endeavour to fly as fast, as high and as far as our 'wings' will carry us.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And excellent book! I read it shortly after it was published, yes that was long ago. It did have a very positive affect on my life.

I loaned it to a friend in the 70s and never got it back.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post
    Besides the messege to not be afraid to break with the crowd to pursue your dreams or whenever a stuation warrants dissent, there is also a very strong spiritual messege.

I believe JLS is a timeless book that is appropriate and inspiring for all ages...I have re-read it several times in my life and am always moved by Jonathans conviction and courage.

There has always been a copy at my home and I have encouraged my children to read it from a young age and to re-read it as they grow older.

Sadly, many of us encourage our children to abandon their uniqueness and dreams and to follow the flock.

I believe the simplicity of Jonathan contains great wisdom for the old as well as the very young.

May we all endeavour to fly as fast, as high and as far as our 'wings' will carry us.
    My granddaughter said something so profound that it made my heart swell to a breaking point I was so proud of her:

One of the girls at her school, when she was in 4th grade, told her that if she continued to dress the way she does (she wears mismatched socks, one short, one long, stripes on one and polka dots on another.....you get the picture).......then she would never "fit in". She said, if I dress the way you and the rest of the girls do then "I will never stand out". She is definitely not the type to be caught up in peer pressure............she's 10, almost 11, and still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Tinkerbell and her clan, and all mythical creatures! And very smart........she goes to one of the hardest charter schools in the US - Basis of Tucson (she calls it a school for nerds!).

Anyway, when we read the book together last summer she was fascinated and totally understood .......... plus she has an Uncle Johnathon and it helped her relate.

PS - if you've ever seen the movie "Bridge to Terabithia" you'll understand where she gets her current perspective.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    And excellent book! I read it shortly after it was published, yes that was long ago. It did have a very positive affect on my life.

I loaned it to a friend in the 70s and never got it back.
    Re-read JLS and I garauntee you will love it all over again and most definately catch something you didn't notice before.

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    My granddaughter said something so profound that it made my heart swell to a breaking point I was so proud of her:

One of the girls at her school, when she was in 4th grade, told her that if she continued to dress the way she does (she wears mismatched socks, one short, one long, stripes on one and polka dots on another.....you get the picture).......then she would never "fit in". She said, if I dress the way you and the rest of the girls do then "I will never stand out". She is definitely not the type to be caught up in peer pressure............she's 10, almost 11, and still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Tinkerbell and her clan, and all mythical creatures! And very smart........she goes to one of the hardest charter schools in the US - Basis of Tucson (she calls it a school for nerds!).

Anyway, when we read the book together last summer she was fascinated and totally understood .......... plus she has an Uncle Johnathon and it helped her relate.

PS - if you've ever seen the movie "Bridge to Terabithia" you'll understand where she gets her current perspective.
    I did not see the movie but I love your grandaughters spirit which is no doubt a tribute to her genes and upbringing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

she's 10, almost 11, and still believes in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, Tinkerbell and her clan, and all mythical creatures! And very smart........
    Clearly.
    The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening. -Peter Kropotkin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
    Clearly.
    Are you saying people with great imaginations are not? How old were you when you started studying Latin?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are you saying people with great imaginations are not? How old were you when you started studying Latin?
    I was a senior in HS...and FAILED miserably! I did learn a good deal of Greek mythology in that class though.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    I was a senior in HS...and FAILED miserably! I did learn a good deal of Greek mythology in that class though.
    She is taking Latin and studying the classics - and she is only 10. But, because she is still innocent of the world and still believes in fairies, santa and the tooth fairy -- Aggie doesn't think she is smart........

She is also taking martial arts as her P.E. class .... she already has to move from classroom to classroom for each subject so she went through the whole freshman "getting a locker and being responsible for taking my books to class" thing at the age of 10. So, she is growing up fast in some ways and staying innocent in others.

The new movie coming out - The Lightning Thief with Percy Jackson is her new favorite.

PS - she has a crush on Johnny Depp - so Noir - take note!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Here is a picture of the girl that reminds me of my granddaughter....this is from the movie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol, put it in perspective......you wouldn't want your granddaughter to be more like Agno, would you?.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default hmm a book about forgiveness & love

Who lives that kind of spirituality>?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why Jonathan ???

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    hmm a book about forgiveness & love

Who lives that kind of spirituality>?
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull is about love and forgiveness but even more-so it is a tribute to courage, conviction and sacrifice.

But without a doubt the most amazing lesson is Jonathan's spiritual edification which was an unexpected consequence of his love for flight.

Jonathan was sure there had to be more than the eat, sleep and reproduce daily life that the flock accepted without question, and was ridiculed and shunned because of it.

Jonathan causes me to pity those who believe life is nothing more than a cosmic accident and the speck of time alotted us is all there is to an otherwise meaningless existance.

Have faith people and do not be afraid for there is more to life than meets the eye...Much more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HogTrash View Post
    Jonathan Livingston Seagull is about love and forgiveness but even more-so it is a tribute to courage, conviction and sacrifice.

But without a doubt the most amazing lesson is Jonathan's spiritual edification which was an unexpected consequence of his love for flight.

Jonathan was sure there had to be more than the eat, sleep and reproduce daily life that the flock accepted without question, and was ridiculed and shunned because of it.

Jonathan causes me to pity those who believe life is nothing more than a cosmic accident and the speck of time alotted us is all there is to an otherwise meaningless existance.

Have faith people and do not be afraid for there is more to life than meets the eye...Much more.
    I believe in Jesus, I have always known there is more. Hey PMP I like your new avatar its cute . Anyway I think the sentiments of your JLS story JLS is great Hog trash. So is the book written by a hippie ?