Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    I don't compare to this past generation. My Dad graduated HS in 1948 and signed up for the Army. They tested him then would not let him go overseas, instead put State-side him in the missile design program along with the college educated officers. During that stint he witnessed a cannon launched nuclear test, three miles from ground zero.
    Sounds like he is a very intelligent man, glad he's on our countries side.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Sounds like he is a very intelligent man, glad he's on our countries side.
    He is, and was. He got a full-boat academic scholarship to Boston College High School. After the Army he looked through the engineering discipline for the best pay then chose that one: which at that time was electrical. Went to night school for ten years while driving a cab during the day and on weekends to pay the rent and feed the family which at that time grew to three kids. They lived in an upper flat above my grandparents, which is a story in itself.

My grandfather worked every day during the depression. When the boss would announce another pay cut, he'd just work harder. He had at least one company go bankrupt while he was the last blue collar worker. My grandmother wanted to buy a house then because the prices were so low and he was afraid to. One Saturday she had him drive to a double-decker two family and he refused to get out of the car because he didn't even want to look. She told him to get out, because he need to help clean it before he move their furniture in. She had signed the mortgage papers herself the day before. They lived upstairs because they could get a higher rent for the downstairs unit.

When my parents came back from Texas after his Army stint they moved into the upstairs flat and my grandparents moved downstairs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    He is, and was. He got a full-boat academic scholarship to Boston College High School. After the Army he looked through the engineering discipline for the best pay then chose that one: which at that time was electrical. Went to night school for ten years while driving a cab during the day and on weekends to pay the rent and feed the family which at that time grew to three kids. They lived in an upper flat above my grandparents, which is a story in itself.

My grandfather worked every day during the depression. When the boss would announce another pay cut, he'd just work harder. He had at least one company go bankrupt while he was the last blue collar worker. My grandmother wanted to buy a house then because the prices were so low and he was afraid to. One Saturday she had him drive to a double-decker two family and he refused to get out of the car because he didn't even want to look. She told him to get out, because he need to help clean it before he move their furniture in. She had signed the mortgage papers herself the day before. They lived upstairs because they could get a higher rent for the downstairs unit.

When my parents came back from Texas after his Army stint they moved into the upstairs flat and my grandparents moved downstairs.
    Oh I like your Grandma much, Bossy women are awesome !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Oh I like your Grandma much, Bossy women are awesome !!!
    She used to chase me around and not able to catch me. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Thank you. I've always been slated toward monogamy, and having been the guy that is the best friend to a number of women, this article was an interesting premise for me. I've felt for a while that women do become too picky about what guy they end up with, and I myself actually got a once because the woman informed me I was "too good", with a bulletted list provided.

If the worst you can say of the guy you're with is that he is a little too good, then maybe you need to start looking at your criteria. Most guys do not have a concrete plan of who they want to be with, and even those of us who think we won't get married for the most part, end up doing so eventually. For myself, there were certain things I knew I didn't want, but aside from that, it's about the connection.

I liked a point that Dr. Phil brought up in his book "Love Smart", when he said to write down a full list of what you want in a man, and then goes on to say to look at it, and realize you're not going to get everything on that list. If you get 70-80% of it, you should consider yourself fortunate.

Well, I met my hubby on a blind date. It was the proverbial "love at first sight." We met. We chased each other around. We teased. And it all came out as falling in love. Six months later he was drafted into the army. Two months later, before his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) kicked in, we got married, honeymooned and then he headed off to Viet Nam.... We're still married and at the end of Oct. we'll be celebrating our 46th wedding anniv.....

Picking a spouse is much like looking for a home. You figure out your what you want, then eliminate some items and then you finalize it....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Well, I met my hubby on a blind date. It was the proverbial "love at first sight." We met. We chased each other around. We teased. And it all came out as falling in love. Six months later he was drafted into the army. Two months later, before his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) kicked in, we got married, honeymooned and then he headed off to Viet Nam.... We're still married and at the end of Oct. we'll be celebrating our 46th wedding anniv.....

Picking a spouse is much like looking for a home. You figure out your what you want, then eliminate some items and then you finalize it....

Pretty cool Binky !