Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I would not be surprised to see the gaming industry snatch this stuff up. Can you imagine a truly immersive 4-D world? The only thing missing would be the smell!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    I would not be surprised to see the gaming industry snatch this stuff up. Can you imagine a truly immersive 4-D world? The only thing missing would be the smell!
    I read a blog with a guy using it for animated artwork, and he said it was amazing for that,
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

That type of technology would lend itself well to creating combat simulators, virtual worlds (think Avatar or WoW) and even sports games. Couple that with some of the sensor technology coming out for XBOX for example. It reminds me of the holodeck in the Star Trek series.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Tis a 20 minute talk, that goes into the next 5000 days of the internet, and how it will grow to become the One.

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/KevinKelly_2007P-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/KevinKelly-2007P.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=31 9&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDurati on=2000&adKeys=talk=kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_ days_of_the_web;year=2007;theme=technology_history _and_destiny;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=bold_ predictions_stern_warnings;theme=how_the_mind_work s;event=EG+2007;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/KevinKelly_2007P-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/KevinKelly-2007P.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=31 9&introDuration=16500&adDuration=4000&postAdDurati on=2000&adKeys=talk=kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_ days_of_the_web;year=2007;theme=technology_history _and_destiny;theme=what_s_next_in_tech;theme=bold_ predictions_stern_warnings;theme=how_the_mind_work s;event=EG+2007;"></embed></object>
    Before I even view this I will make a prediction. I think this is going to be one of those things that has it's 15 minutes of hype.

be back soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It's amazing, I can see a lot of great uses for it.
    does anyone see any down side at all or is it all positive?
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    If you don't want to be part of it then i suggest you go amish lol,

Whether you like it or not the Web as it is holds allot of records about you, someone with the permissions on Google/Apple/Microsoft/AT&T ect can see what sites you view, when, who you email, what is in the emails, who you phone, what pictures you have taken, and when and where you are at any moment within a few metres.

Are you happy they can do this? Probably not, but you will accept it as a price you're willing to pay for the convenience of the net as it is,
    Most of us are Luddites at heart. But practicality dictates we go with our brains and not our hearts.

Most people do not use the internet or the web.

The web is made up of applications sent and used over the internet.

Lost of people will never use computers for the things that we think they will. Since the invention of the computer there have been predictions -about what and how computing will affect our lives and most all have turned out to be pie in the sky bs.

The internet is a tool. Only a tool

For people who get stuck on the web playing games, or blogging, or playing videos, it may seem as if the web is the future, but for most people there are life pressing issues which supercede going on to the internet to escape.

Think of the internet as the telegraph, radio, movies, television.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    It's amazing, I can see a lot of great uses for it.
    does anyone see any down side at all or is it all positive?
    Downside? For a start, security and possession of ones own data.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Downside? For a start, security and possession of ones own data.
    Yep, privacy/security is already an issue and it will only become an even greater issue.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

<object width="480" height="430"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://media.theonion.com/flash/video/embedded_player.swf?&videoid=14318" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed src="http://media.theonion.com/flash/video/embedded_player.swf"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="430"flashvars="videoid=14318"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.theonion.com/articles/video,14318/">Experts Agree Giant, Razor-Clawed Bioengineered Crabs Pose No Threat</a>

"I trust the scientist"
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Yep, privacy/security is already an issue and it will only become an even greater issue.
    Yes. It may be time to seriously consider how to fight back.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Yes. It may be time to seriously consider how to fight back.
    There is no way to fight back. This is a one way street.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.