Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    do you believe there is evidence against it?.....I would love an example......
    Vistigial structures, poor "design", unnecessary complexity. It looks like there's more of a halfhazard accumulation of changes, mutations that are not beneficial, endigenous retroviruses, etc. These things don't make sense from an intelligent design perspective.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The magnificent work with extreme and delicate balance and complexity is the evidence (if yer eyes werked).
    This has been debunked. Scientists reject the irreducible complexity argument.

You're the one who's all "huffy". You have a major problem with evolution, especially common descent. It gets your undies in a wad.

I don't use faith. I care about the evidence. I don't have any beliefs keeping me from accepting the evidence.

I care more about whatever the truth is. I don't want a comforting lie. Something wrong with this?

Where did all the species come from? Thin air via your god? How did he make them? How would they have started? Did they magically appear fully formed?

Christ was seen, and Moses saw a burning bush.
    And the story of Cindarella proves that Cindarella was a real person and all that stuff happened. You can't use the bible as proof for anything.

The way I see it is, a natural explanation is the most likely, it makes the most sense, it fits the best and there's a ton of evidence supporting it. A god makes no sense, requires an explanation we don't have, and is unnecessary. If we can explain how plants grow, why think invisible fairies have anything to do with it? This isn't a religious belief, just logic. I just have no reason to add anything unexplainable that is completely outside of nature.

I'll leave you with the following:

"In response to the unfalsifiability criticism of evolutionary theory, numerous examples of potential ways to falsify evolution have been proposed. J.B.S. Haldane, when asked what hypothetical evidence could disprove evolution, replied "fossil rabbits in the Precambrian era".[57][58] Numerous other potential ways to falsify evolution have also been proposed.[32] For example, the fact that humans have one fewer pair of chromosomes than the great apes offered a testable hypotheses involving the fusion or splitting of chromosomes from a common ancestor. The fusion hypothesis was confirmed in 2005 by discovery that human chromosome 2 is homologous with a fusion of two chromosomes that remain separate in other primates. Extra, inactive telomeres and centromeres remain on human chromosome 2 as a result of the fusion.[59] The assertion of common descent could also have been disproven with the invention of DNA analysis. If true, human DNA should be far more similar to chimpanzees and other great apes, than to other mammals. If not, then common descent is falsified. DNA analysis has shown that humans and chimpanzees share a large percentage of their DNA (between 95% to 99.4% depending on the measure).[60] Also, the evolution of chimpanzees and humans from a common ancestor predicts a (geologically) recent common ancestor. Numerous transitional fossils have since been found.[61] Hence, human evolution has passed several falsifiable tests."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objections_to_evolution

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
    I don't need faith.
    If you didn't have a lot of faith you would never accept such a shaky theory as "fact" when it very clearly isn't.

I follow the evidence.
    You clearly follow yer faith. It's a shame you can't see what everybody else does. Evidence has very little impact upon you.

And yes the fossils do show transition.
    Not hardly: Einstein. Most fossils are small pieces of bone that true believers extrapolate into organisms they make up outa whole cloth.

They base their cornstructions of these imaginary "transitional" organisms the same way that the Greeks, Chinese and Persians, (authors of the original evolution theory that became yer religion), observed long ago the similarities of most organisms with hard skeletons. When the more complete fossil is eventually found true believers admit the organism was fully developed and not "transitional" and look for another piece of bone to make chit up again fer the followers.

No transition is shown in the fossil record. NONE AT ALL. It is just the faith of true believers.

Small changes between closely related species. All you need to do is look at the fossil record.
    With a heart full of faith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Vistigial structures, poor "design", unnecessary complexity.
    Until a purpose is discovered that was previously overlooked. The "poor" design of life you bemoan is much more elegant then any design by man.

It looks like there's more of a halfhazard accumulation of changes, mutations that are not beneficial, endigenous retroviruses, etc.
    You may fancy yerself an ace mindreader; yer not.

Ya can't even read a single functional brain cell, so yer surely not gonna be able ta read the mind or intentions of God. Jesus appears to allow free agency in us as you believe in your own religion, why could God not allow free agency in the development of all living things?

These things don't make sense from an intelligent design perspective.
    Sure they do. An omnipotent omnicient Intelligent Designer could do anything. The work is very impressive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has been debunked. Scientists reject the irreducible complexity argument.
    Not all have. Don't ya think the Big Bang is an impressive bit o' werk?

You're the one who's all "huffy".
    Ya think?

You have a major problem with evolution, especially common descent.
    Not at all....... I jus' correctly identify it as a religion, (some of which may even be possible).

It gets your undies in a wad.
    Naw me undies are quite comfy. After all I don't deny me own religion.

I don't use faith.
    Yasureyabetcha. Ya don't breathe either eh?

I care about the evidence.
    Ya "care" eh? How touching....

I don't have any beliefs keeping me from accepting the evidence.
    Ya can't see the log in yer eye butt ya see those specs in everybody elses' eh?

I care more about whatever the truth is. I don't want a comforting lie.
    Truth eh? Hmmmmmmm.......ya say?

Something wrong with this?
    Not at all..... I don't have any problem with yer religion. I don't have a problem with denial either.

Where did all the species come from? Thin air via your god? How did he make them? How would they have started? Did they magically appear fully formed?
    Hard tellin' not knowin'. Must be Jesus! Kinda looks like all there is came from a teeeneee tiny singularaty in the middle of nothingness n' then BANG. Kinda looks like cornplex organisms tend ta have related structures n' are purdy complicated as well. Looks like a purdy powerful Designer ta me. Must be Jesus.

And the story of Cindarella proves that Cindarella was a real person and all that stuff happened. You can't use the bible as proof for anything.
    Not usin' the Bible ta "prove" anything. Do you deny that Christ, (the historical figure), existed? Yer that one who claims yer religion is "fact", I know mine is faith. To you Jesus may have been a man to me he is GOD.

The way I see it is, a natural explanation is the most likely, it makes the most sense, it fits the best and there's a ton of evidence supporting it.
    To me a natural explanation is Jesus created all we see. It is the most likely it makes the most sense, and all observations support it.

A god makes no sense, requires an explanation we don't have, and is unnecessary.
    Evolution requires an explanation we don't have, (unless ya cornsider God),.....where did life cum from????

If we can explain how plants grow, why think invisible fairies have anything to do with it?
    What does that have ta do with the price of beans in Boston??

This isn't a religious belief, just logic.
    It is primarily religious belief

I just have no reason to add anything unexplainable that is completely outside of nature.
    The origin of life is already unexplainable via yer religion of evolution: Einstein.

I'll leave you with the following:

"In response to the unfalsifiability criticism of evolutionary theory, numerous examples of potential ways to falsify evolution have been proposed. J.B.S. Haldane, when asked what hypothetical evidence could disprove evolution, replied "fossil rabbits in the Precambrian era".[57][58] Numerous other potential ways to falsify evolution have also been proposed.[32] For example, the fact that humans have one fewer pair of chromosomes than the great apes offered a testable hypotheses involving the fusion or splitting of chromosomes from a common ancestor. The fusion hypothesis was confirmed in 2005 by discovery that human chromosome 2 is homologous with a fusion of two chromosomes that remain separate in other primates. Extra, inactive telomeres and centromeres remain on human chromosome 2 as a result of the fusion.[59] The assertion of common descent could also have been disproven with the invention of DNA analysis. If true, human DNA should be far more similar to chimpanzees and other great apes, than to other mammals. If not, then common descent is falsified. DNA analysis has shown that humans and chimpanzees share a large percentage of their DNA (between 95% to 99.4% depending on the measure).[60] Also, the evolution of chimpanzees and humans from a common ancestor predicts a (geologically) recent common ancestor. Numerous transitional fossils have since been found.[61] Hence, human evolution has passed several falsifiable tests."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objections_to_evolution
    The theory of evolution has some merit. It is not fact nor is it irrefutably proven. It has some observations that fit some parts of the theory and many observations do not fit at all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Vistigial structures, poor "design", unnecessary complexity. It looks like there's more of a halfhazard accumulation of changes, mutations that are not beneficial, endigenous retroviruses, etc. These things don't make sense from an intelligent design perspective.
    an example, not a generalization.....I believe you are incorrectly characterizing....for example, it has been claimed that bones in a whale's flipper is vestigial.....yet it serves a purpose in providing structure and strength in the flipper.....

mutations that are not beneficial
    ???...wouldn't that be a failing of evolution rather than creation?....

endigenous retroviruses
    you realize of course that these are abnormalities that have developed through improper cell development, correct?.....every day uncountable trillions of cells form in the world.....the percentage that develop abnormalities is miniscule.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 05-18-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

read it and weep creationist bitches

Scientists create a living organism
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/sci...ex.html?hpt=T2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post

lol, you are as ignorant of biology as the person who wrote the article.....notice this....

They then transferred the completed genome into the shell of another bacterium M capricolum whose own DNA had been removed.
    they didn't create life, they simply made a transplant into an already living organism.....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 05-21-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those true believers will jump at anything to bolster their faith eh: PmP?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete311 View Post

Thought you were out orbiting Mars 'til August or some such???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When the more complete fossil is eventually found true believers admit the organism was fully developed and not "transitional" and look for another piece of bone to make chit up again fer the followers.

No transition is shown in the fossil record. NONE AT ALL. It is just the faith of true believers.
    What's with this fully developed thing you keep harking on about? Are you saying that current life forms are fully developed while earlier forms leading to current forms wouldn't be? If so you're looking at it all wrong. Nothing is "fully developed", but rather in the state it's at. Are we not fully developed? What makes something fully developed? Things change with time at varying rates. The concept of a species being fully developed or not is completely useless and nonsensical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldMercsRule View Post
    Until a purpose is discovered that was previously overlooked. The "poor" design of life you bemoan is much more elegant then any design by man.
    Like I pointed out before, vistigial structures need not be useless, just diminished or changed. But of course you ignore and information I give you so I guess you wouldn't know that still.

Elegant? You mean like eyes or wings that are fully formed yet permanently sealed and unusable? Or like the blind spot humans have? What about non beneficial, even deadly or horrible mutations? Man or even a fucking monkey could a better job than that.

Jesus appears to allow free agency in us as you believe in your own religion, why could God not allow free agency in the development of all living things?[/COLOR]

Sure they do. An omnipotent omnicient Intelligent Designer could do anything. The work is very impressive.
    This is you rationalizing away any incriminating evidence. "OH, well, the creator can do anything he wants, so everything fits!" Gee, how scientific! Yea, this is one good reason why I.D. can never be science. It assums god did everything and uses the age old cop out that he simply chooses to do it that way for everything. It's completely unfalsifiable. Not to mention we can't even show that a god exists in the first place. I.D. is tooth fairy science or fairy tale science. Meaning that it misuses science to show how a fairy tale can be true without first proving the premise.

And if god supposedly allows this free agency so they can develop on their own, then why do we need him for evolution? You're saying that oh yea, things can evolve on their own because god allows it, but evolution is false! Do you not see how this doesn't make sense?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's with this fully developed thing you keep harking on about?
    An organism that is alive, part of a population of similar organisms, lives for a defined life span, converts sources of energy from the environment into biologic energy, procreates like organisms to succeed it after death of said organism.

Are you saying that current life forms are fully developed while earlier forms leading to current forms wouldn't be?
    All known life forms (both living and extinct) are fully developed; NONE ARE "INTERMEDIATE". The "Holy Grail" of yer religion that plainly does not exist.

If so you're looking at it all wrong.
    Nope. I'm not a true believer of yer religion and I see the profound weaknesses within you can't possibly recognize due to yer faith.

Nothing is "fully developed", but rather in the state it's at.
    That's yer religion talking.

Are we not fully developed? What makes something fully developed?
    As I said above: An organism that is alive, part of a population of similar organisms, lives for a defined life span, converts sources of energy from the environment into biologic energy, procreates like organisms to succeed it after death of said organism.

Things change with time at varying rates.
    What does that have ta do with the price of beans in Boston?

The concept of a species being fully developed or not is completely useless and nonsensical.
    To those true belivers with totally closed minds. The rest of us can see no evidence of intermediate organisms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by OldMercsRule
    Like I pointed out before, vistigial structures need not be useless, just diminished or changed.
    "Diminished or changed" in who's judgment? Hmmmmmmmmm???? True belivers tryin' ta grasp at straws ta prove their precornceived bias in support of their religion?

But of course you ignore and information I give you so I guess you wouldn't know that still.
    How do you know what I ignore or pay attention to? Are ya some sorta ace mindreader or some such?

Elegant? You mean like eyes or wings that are fully formed yet permanently sealed and unusable? Or like the blind spot humans have? What about non beneficial, even deadly or horrible mutations? Man or even a fucking monkey could a better job than that.
    You actually think man or a monkey can create life or organs? Even organs that don't measure up to yer standards?

Yer gettin' a bit huffy again eh???

Originally Posted by OldMercsRule
    Jesus appears to allow free agency in us as you believe in your own religion, why could God not allow free agency in the development of all living things?

This is you rationalizing away any incriminating evidence. "OH, well, the creator can do anything he wants, so everything fits!" Gee, how scientific! Yea, this is one good reason why I.D. can never be science. It assums god did everything and uses the age old cop out that he simply chooses to do it that way for everything. It's completely unfalsifiable. Not to mention we can't even show that a god exists in the first place.
    ID is an alternative and very logical explanation for all we observe. God's work is how we show his existance as black holes are not directly observed; butt: shown by the effects on nearby matter and light.

I.D. is tooth fairy science or fairy tale science. Meaning that it misuses science to show how a fairy tale can be true without first proving the premise. And if god supposedly allows this free agency so they can develop on their own, then why do we need him for evolution?
    Because we can't explain where life came from, or what made the Big Bang happen out of a tiny singularity in the middle of nothingness among other things.

You're saying that oh yea, things can evolve on their own because god allows it, but evolution is false!
    Evolution is unproven; and not a fact. Show me where I said evolution "is false". You sure get huffy about yer religion. Get some fresh undies you will feeeeeeeel better.

Do you not see how this doesn't make sense?
    Makes perfect sense.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    an example, not a generalization.....I believe you are incorrectly characterizing....for example, it has been claimed that bones in a whale's flipper is vestigial.....yet it serves a purpose in providing structure and strength in the flipper.....
    Like I've pointed out before, vestigial structures don't have to be functionless. They can be used in other ways or simply diminished/not as important. If you or Murky would actually read some of the info I've posted, maybe you'd know that.

???...wouldn't that be a failing of evolution rather than creation?....
    No, not at all. Mutations range from beneficial to harmful. The organisms with good or neutral mutations survive or survive better and the ones with bad mutations die or decrease in number from failing to reproduce, or at least not reproduce as much. Mutations sound bad but really they are just changes that can be good bad or neutral.

you realize of course that these are abnormalities that have developed through improper cell development, correct?.....every day uncountable trillions of cells form in the world.....the percentage that develop abnormalities is miniscule.....
    Indogenous retroviral insertions are germline dna insertions from retroviruses. For the same insertions to appear in the same exact places in the dna of different species without them having a common ancestor is impossible. This short video explains it in a way that's easy to understand.

A short article on it: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Endogeno...Common-Descent

Constructing primate phylogenies from ancient retrovirus sequences
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...5/?tool=pubmed