Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Hate crime in Maine: ham steak placed on table where Muslims were sitting!

Oh the HUMANITY! Where's the "Crime"? Is it now unlawful to simply HATE?

IDIOTS...

http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatc...ves/016136.php

"Death to Israel" scrawled on the wall of a synagogue? Oh, that's only "possibly" a hate crime. Ham steak placed on a table full of Muslims? Oh, now that's a clear hate crime, meriting the severest possible punishment!

"'Hate incident' in city," by Bonnie Washuk for the Sun Journal, with thanks to all who sent this in:

LEWISTON - One student has been suspended and more disciplinary action could follow a possible hate crime at Lewiston Middle School, Superintendent Leon Levesque said Wednesday.

On April 11, a white student placed a ham steak in a bag on a lunch table where Somali students were eating. Muslims consider pork unclean and offensive.

The act reminded students of a man who threw a pig's head into a Lewiston mosque last summer.

The school incident is being treated seriously as "a hate incident," Levesque said. Lewiston police are investigating, and the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence is working with the school to create a response plan.

"We've got some work to do to turn this around and bring the school community back together again," Levesque said.

Placing ham where Muslim students were eating was "an awful thing," said Stephen Wessler, executive director of the Center for Prevention of Hate Violence. "It's extraordinarily hurtful and degrading" to Muslims, whose religion prohibits them from being around ham. It's important to respond swiftly, Wessler said.

"Incidents like this that involve degrading language or conduct are often said by the perpetrator as a joke. I know that conduct is never static," he said. "It's part of a process of escalation."

If people think insulting Muslims with ham is OK, "More degrading acts will follow, until at some point we'll end up having violence," Wessler said.

Committed by whom, Wessler?

The incident does not reflect the moral values of the school staff and students, Levesque said. "We need to take a look at this and review how a careless act is degrading and causes hurt to other people. All our students should feel welcome and safe in our schools."

He said a letter would be sent home to parents explaining what happened and outlining the school's response. Wessler will meet with students to address the school's climate, and staff will talk about how to respond to and prevent future hate incidents

'I didn't feel safe'

A 14-year-old Somali boy, whose mother asked that his name not be published, said he was eating lunch with four other Somali students on April 11. He noticed many others in the cafeteria "standing up, looking at us."

One boy came near, began laughing and threw a bag on the table while other students laughed and said, 'Good job.'"

"We didn't know what was in this bag," the boy said. "One of my friends reached inside it. It was a big ham steak. There were five of us at the table, all Somali. It was intended for us."

The boy said he looked up at students he thought were his friends. "I felt angered, offended."

He suddenly felt like he was alone. "At the school the next day, I didn't feel safe. I felt like everybody was against me. Before I felt like I fit in, and everything was normal."

He began to think white students didn't like him, and the act was their way of letting him know.

On Thursday, several students came up to him and said, "Those guys who did it were jerks. I apologize for them, and I hope you feel better."

The boy said they did make him feel better. "But for the rest of my life when I remember middle school, this will pop up right away."

You know, I hated middle school too. Children treated each other horribly every day. I remember one time some idiot spit into sandwich of some guy who had walked away from the table. It it is an age at which children can be especially cruel and brutal. But the sandwich-spitter was the same race as his victim, and it was a (marginally) saner time, so that story didn't end up in the newspaper.

This culture of softness and victimization is no good for anyone. Obviously we are on the way to treating Muslims as a privileged class, around whom everyone else must tiptoe, so that they are protected from all possible offense, even offenses committed by boorish prankster schoolchildren.

I also wonder if these Somali students would prefer a ham steak on their table, or life in Mogadishu. As I recall there were incidents in Nazi Germany in which Jews were beaten and forced to eat bacon. Those were hate crimes. Ham steak on a table in a lunchroom? Come on.
    Other sources:
    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&re...=1&sa=N&tab=wn
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It doesn't speak too well of us, if the kid did it simply to be an ass. It's not like he put his lunch down, and was intending to eat with them, but just didn't think.

He was a complete ass about it, and did it purposely. While not exactly a "crime", I think the student should be suspended and have his ass kicked by his parents.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    It doesn't speak too well of us, if the kid did it simply to be an ass. It's not like he put his lunch down, and was intending to eat with them, but just didn't think.

He was a complete ass about it, and did it purposely. While not exactly a "crime", I think the student should be suspended and have his ass kicked by his parents.

Sure - it was poor taste. But that's it - let parents impose the punishment/corrective actions. A 'crime'? No way.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Sure - it was poor taste. But that's it - let parents impose the punishment/corrective actions. A 'crime'? No way.
    I already agreed it's not a "crime".. But, on the other hand, if he did it maliciously, which he did, what are his PARENTS teaching him? Thus, what kind of punishment do you think they'd really dole out?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I already agreed it's not a "crime".. But, on the other hand, if he did it maliciously, which he did, what are his PARENTS teaching him? Thus, what kind of punishment do you think they'd really dole out?
    I didn't say you said it WAS a crime.

Maliciously? It was a prank. A bad Prank. A prank which caused NO ill-effects; saved for canned responses from the 'victims'.

:-/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome to American schools. Can't handle it? I'm sure there are wonderful Muslim schools back in Somalia.
    PRAIRIE FIRE by William Ayers: Obama's guide to destory America
    "Maybe I missed that part of the Constitution"--Joe Steel
    You can't spell Liberals without Lies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Suspended for a tasteless prank? Nahhhh. I would have sat down and started eating the ham myself. Hey, some like tuna some don't, sorry you're offended by my lunch, whatever it may be.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I didn't say you said it WAS a crime.

Maliciously? It was a prank. A bad Prank. A prank which caused NO ill-effects; saved for canned responses from the 'victims'.

:-/
    It sounds to me like it was plotted out, and he was egged on by his friends. It was meant to do some damage, and apparently it did - mentally. *shrug* That's their religion - that's their beliefs, and they live by them, much like you live by your religion, and feel affronted when someone comes along to try and make a mockery of it in your face.

A prank would have been to just dump it on a plate on the table, and run off.. Instead, they concealed it in a paper bag, forcing one or more of the students to actually TOUCH it, which I'm assuming is even worse than just sitting by it.

Simply, this kid needs his ass kicked, and he needs some other form of punishment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Suspended for a tasteless prank? Nahhhh. I would have sat down and started eating the ham myself. Hey, some like tuna some don't, sorry you're offended by my lunch, whatever it may be.
    Hey, if it were the kids lunch, and he sat down and ate it at the same table, you'd be 100% right. After all, lunch tables are not assigned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just remember..everyone complains about "kids these days" having no respect, no sense of responsibility, etc..

Well, guess who they're learning from?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

That's their religion - that's their beliefs, and they live by them, much like you live by your religion, and feel affronted when someone comes along to try and make a mockery of it in your face.
    No I don't. I pitty them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's see if i understand this completely. An insensitive kid put ham on a table with muslims students, and the muslim students are saying if things keep up things will get violent, and the insensitive kid is the one who is committing crime and not the ones threatening violence???

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar4321 View Post
    Let's see if i understand this completely. An insensitive kid put ham on a table with muslims students, and the muslim students are saying if things keep up things will get violent, and the insensitive kid is the one who is committing crime and not the ones threatening violence???
    You've got it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The kid was being a jerk; he should have been more respectful of other people's religious beliefs... but if more Muslim PARENTS would speak out about... oh...say... NOT BLOWING PEOPLE UP, then maybe their children would have less chance of being "victimized" at school.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He went about it all wrong he needed to rub the ham in his hands and then walk around and shake hands with all the muslims. The old greasy handshake trick.

If he was my kid I would have to get on him about wasting a good piece of ham. Could have just as easily thrown a bag of porkrinds on the table.

muslims
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.