Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Default Army softens training for recruits

Last November, Curt Gilroy, the Pentagon's director of accessions, told Army Times that most American teens were obese, out of shape and plagued by illness because of "couch potato syndrome."

"Kids are just not able to do push-ups, and they can't do pull-ups, and they can't run," he said.

Fortunately, the new Army workout plan doesn't ask them to
    WTF ???

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._for_recr.html

when i was in HS we had something called PE - physical training. is that gone now???? couch potato syndrome. my couch training was uh a little different

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yeah its gone. In my kids school they have to do PE one (maybe two, I'm not sure) semester out of eight. We are officially a fat and lazy country.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Yeah its gone. In my kids school they have to do PE one (maybe two, I'm not sure) semester out of eight. We are officially a fat and lazy country.

what's PE 1 and 2 involve????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    My kids are both athletes so its like a walk in the park for them and I haven't gotten much feedback. They play various psuedo-sports like floor hockey and "ten minute run" where they have to go around the track for ten minutes or one mile, whichever comes first, most do two laps.

My daughter crushed all the boys in hockey, losers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Well, I dont know about the exercise part, but I can tell you the "combatives" (what they called "rolling") is very intense and should have been incorporated a long time ago. Hand to hand, melee combat with the intent of disabling or killing your opponent as quickly as possible. One of my sons is a first sergeant for a unit about to deploy and they have been doing combatives for some time now. I have seen them "rolling" and it gets pretty viscious. No fake moves or combat dummies, they actually fight each other. Some of the wrestling holds alone would scare the crap out of you!
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    My kids are both athletes so its like a walk in the park for them and I haven't gotten much feedback. They play various psuedo-sports like floor hockey and "ten minute run" where they have to go around the track for ten minutes or one mile, whichever comes first, most do two laps.

My daughter crushed all the boys in hockey, losers.
    in my day PE was required for both boys and girls. and it was physical !!!

we played sports outside which included running. in bad weather we used the gym. which had and elevated running track around it.
    we loved playing something back then called "Marine Basketball". there was only 1 rule. its unfair to play fair. here was a chance for you to go after rivals and let em have it !!!! PE was supervised by the schools football or basketball coaches/teachers. and the babes loved seeing us put the muscles on. its the one big reasons we were able to stand up to boot camp. the teachers knew that's where most of us were headed so they upped the level of PE training.
    a couch back then was used for screwing. well it was physical !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 1-2 & 1-2 & 1-2 & 1-2 & 1-2

Curling candy bars...
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    Well, I dont know about the exercise part, but I can tell you the "combatives" (what they called "rolling") is very intense and should have been incorporated a long time ago. Hand to hand, melee combat with the intent of disabling or killing your opponent as quickly as possible. One of my sons is a first sergeant for a unit about to deploy and they have been doing combatives for some time now. I have seen them "rolling" and it gets pretty viscious. No fake moves or combat dummies, they actually fight each other. Some of the wrestling holds alone would scare the crap out of you!
    I saw green Berets training on the tube the other night. it included rolling and log lifting. many of them puked out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

did you read the article? or just the title? So they aren't doing long distance runs or push ups. that doesn't mean they won't be in shape. they are doing core muscle strengthing. they are doing stuff that preps their bodies for combat... not running.
    Last edited by Monkeybone; 03-18-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Does Monkeybone have to choke a bitch?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Like namvet I had PE. It was daily. Included swimming and sports. Also included lots of excersize. Sit ups. 50 in five minutes, pull ups, minimum of 10 for a C, 50 for an A. Track and mile runs. push ups, 50 for an A. Rope climb. I could do that in 3 seconds. 30 foot rope. I always got A's in PE.

The army just pushed my endurance. Besides the physical training they added sleep deprivation. Hope they are not softening up too much on the noncombatants, because every soldier is a potential combat soldier. If they are letting some do less then they are putting them in a deadly position.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybone View Post
    did you read the article? or just the title? So they aren't doing long distance runs or push ups. that doesn't mean they won't be in shape. they are doing core muscle strengthing. they are doing stuff that preps their bodies for combat... not running.
    you missed the point. they won't be in shape. if you can't run your fuckin' dead !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Like namvet I had PE. It was daily. Included swimming and sports. Also included lots of excersize. Sit ups. 50 in five minutes, pull ups, minimum of 10 for a C, 50 for an A. Track and mile runs. push ups, 50 for an A. Rope climb. I could do that in 3 seconds. 30 foot rope. I always got A's in PE.

The army just pushed my endurance. Besides the physical training they added sleep deprivation. Hope they are not softening up too much on the noncombatants, because every soldier is a potential combat soldier. If they are letting some do less then they are putting them in a deadly position.
    as well as puttin others in a deadly position

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you missed the point. they won't be in shape. if you can't run your fuckin' dead !!!!!
    I think you missed the point. How are they not going to be in shape? Core muscles affect everything. they never said that they were completely taking running out. but instead of long distance being a focus, they now are focusing on sprints. They are making it how they are going to be fighting over there and in cities.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my cousin just got out of basic, said they did a ton of pushups and he came home in great shape before going to AIT.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    my cousin just got out of basic, said they did a ton of pushups and he came home in great shape before going to AIT.
    know you were just making a point but jsut bouncing off of this, like i was saying. they just aren't going to be a focus now. nothing says that they are completely getting rid of them.