Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First Sikh in a generation graduates Army officer school

This is good and proves the you can't seal a gas mask with a beard as bunk. Every other country in the world can. We could do worse than a sikh that wants to serve his country so bad he went thru the hassal of getting the required waivers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100323/...y_sikh_soldier

Capt. Rattan is the first Sikh allowed to complete officer basic training while wearing the traditional turban and full beard since the Army altered the dress code, which had made exceptions for Sikh soldiers, in 1984
    SAN ANTONIO – The soldiers in standard-issue fatigues and combat boots stood side-by-side repeating their creed: "I am an American soldier. I am a warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values ...."

Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan was no different except that he wore a full beard and black turban, the first Sikh in a generation allowed to complete U.S. Army basic officer training without sacrificing the articles of his faith. He completed the nine-week training Monday after Army officials made an exemption to a policy that has effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting since 1984.

"I'm feeling very humbled. I'm a soldier," said the 31-year-old dentist, smiling after the ceremony at Fort Sam Houston. "This has been my dream."

Rattan had to get a waiver from the Army to serve without sacrificing the unshorn hair mandated by his faith. An immigrant from India who arrived in New York as a teenager, Rattan said he hopes his military commitment will allow him to give back to his adopted home country and will help diminish prejudice Sikhs sometimes face in the U.S.

The Army in 1984 eliminated an exemption that had previously allowed Sikhs to maintain their articles of faith while serving, but officials can issue individual waivers to the uniform policy after considering the effects on safety and discipline, said Army spokesman George Wright. Only a handful of such individual religious exemptions are ever granted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First Sikh in a generation graduates Army officer school

How wonderfully PC.....It quite obvious we will never learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    Capt. Tejdeep Singh Rattan was no different except that he wore a full beard and black turban, the first Sikh in a generation allowed to complete U.S. Army basic officer training without sacrificing the articles of his faith.
    Last edited by HogTrash; 03-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PC, more like we need doctors bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

"This is good and proves the you can't seal a gas mask with a beard as bunk. Every other country in the world can. "

Not quite true. It merely means that "officials can issue individual waivers to the uniform policy after considering the effects on safety and discipline, ..."

Apparently, "officials" found the risks to safety and discipline acceptable.

As for proving whether or not you can seal a gas mask while sporting a beard I, for one, would not be willing to stake MY life on that. However, you go ahead and grow a beard with that in mind if you like.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSM View Post
    "This is good and proves the you can't seal a gas mask with a beard as bunk. Every other country in the world can. "

Not quite true. It merely means that "officials can issue individual waivers to the uniform policy after considering the effects on safety and discipline, ..."

Apparently, "officials" found the risks to safety and discipline acceptable.

As for proving whether or not you can seal a gas mask while sporting a beard I, for one, would not be willing to stake MY life on that. However, you go ahead and grow a beard with that in mind if you like.
    As the former CBR officer of my unit in the 82nd, I'll say you CAN'T properly seal a mask on a bearded face.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?