Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Christian faith: Calvinism is back

In America's Christian faith, a surprising comeback of rock-ribbed Calvinism is challenging the Jesus-is-your-buddy gospel of modern evangelism

Welcome to the austere – and increasingly embraced – message of Calvinism. Five centuries ago, John Calvin's teachings reconceived Christianity; midwifed Western ideas about capitalism, democracy, and religious liberty; and nursed the Puritan values that later cast the character of America.

Today, his theology is making a surprising comeback, challenging the me centered prosperity gospel of much of modern evangelicalism with a God-first immersion in Scripture. In an age of materialism and made to order religion, Calvinism's unmalleable doctrines and view of God as an all-powerful potentate who decides everything is winning over many Christians – especially the young.

Twenty-something followers in the Presbyterian, Anglican, and independent evangelical churches are rallying around Calvinist, or Reformed, teaching. In the Southern Baptist Convention, America's largest Protestant body, at least 10 percent of its pastors identify as Calvinist, while more than one-third of recent seminary graduates do.

New Calvinism draws legions to the sermons of preachers like John Piper of the Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. Here at CHBC, the pews and even rooms in the basement are filled each Sunday, mostly with young professionals. Since senior pastor Mark Dever brought Calvinist preaching here 16 years ago, the church has grown sevenfold. Today it is bursting at the stained-glass windows.

Yet the movement's biggest impact may not be in the pews. It's in publishing circles and on Christian blogs, in divinity schools and at conferences like "Together for the Gospel," where the rock stars of Reformed theology explore such topics as "The Sinner Neither Able Nor Willing: The Doctrine of Absolute Inability."

"There is a very clear resurgence of Calvinism," says Steven Lemke, provost and a professor at the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
    The renewed interest arrives at a crucial inflection point for American religion. After reviewing a landmarkopinion survery last yearthat showed a precipitous decline in the number of people who identify themselves as Christian, Newsweek declared ominously that we may be witnessing "the end of Christian America."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...vinism-is-back

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm a Baptist with Calvanist views and a great love for the Puritans.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I think calvinism is anit-christian.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    You think its anti-christian? What do you mean by that the religion itself or the way members interpret it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Calvinism was ordained to be mostly right from the beginning. And i was destined to agree with most of it.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Christian faith: Calvinism is back

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    I'm a Baptist with Calvanist views and a great love for the Puritans.
    I was raised in the Presbyterian faith that my Scottish ancesters brought with them to America. [which adheres to Calvinism]
    Only You Can Save Your Childrens Future!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

lol....I've always been Calvinist......I didn't know I was anti-Christian and I didn't know I had been gone....I am glad, however, to be "back"......

rock stars of Reformed theology
    sweet....I want to be a roadie....
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 03-31-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol....I've always been Calvinist......

rock stars of Reformed theology
    sweet....I want to be a roadie....
    ha, Just a fan here,
    R.C. Sproul WOOT Woot Woot Woot
    http://www.ligonier.org/

Young guys at the White Horse Inn podcast are pretty hard core uncompromising young Calvanist. Hard to listen to sometime but hard to argue with as well.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

What Calvanism boils down too is that God is in charge instead of man and that God is not some all powerful bellhop in the sky waiting for mans beck and call to grant mans desires. That God is our Sovereign in which we serve.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
    What Calvanism boils down too is that God is in charge instead of man and that God is not some all powerful bellhop in the sky waiting for mans beck and call to grant mans desires. That God is our Sovereign in which we serve.
    while I would say no Calvinist would disagree with what you stated, it's a bit too simplistic to say that is what Calvinism "boils down" to...

Five basic teachings...1) man is incapable of attaining righteousness on his own, 2) through Christ, righteousness is available to everyone, simply by accepting him as your Savior, 3) some will refuse to accept, and if they refuse they will not obtain righteousness, 4) the Holy Spirit seeks us out, he is actively engaged in confronting us with opportunities to choose, and 5) the Holy Spirit also preserves, he is actively engaged in protecting those who have chosen to believe from slipping backwards into disbelief.....
    ...full immersion.....

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It's anti-christian in it's belief God forces himself upon people. (shrug). God is Love. Forcing one's desire upon others is not love. It's selfishness.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

It's anti-christian in it's belief God forces himself upon people. (shrug). God is Love. Forcing one's desire upon others is not love. It's selfishness.
    Selfishness is too right,

But even if you look at any god (Christian, Muslim, Hindu ect) what they want is to be worshiped.
    If that is not selfish, vain, pride seeking and arrogant I don't know what is.

But ofcourse religious people will say there god has every right to be vain and arrogant and so forth after all he is a god.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I, too, was raised in the Calvinist style of religion .... hence my aversion to religion. I don't adhere to the premise that one man's (John Calvin) intepretation is gospel.

My major point of disagreement is that I don't believe "God" divided humans into two groups (the elected and the excluded) - basically I don't believe in predestination. I believe each one of us is responsible for our own salvation based upon our actions and choices in life. And each choice sends us down a different path with new options and choices to be made.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Selfishness is too right,

But even if you look at any god (Christian, Muslim, Hindu ect) what they want is to be worshiped.
    If that is not selfish, vain, pride seeking and arrogant I don't know what is.

But ofcourse religious people will say their god has every right to be vain and arrogant and so forth after all he is a god.
    God wants fellowship with his Creation. That's the marked difference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In what book, chapter, and verse to we find the teachings of Calvin? TULIP is a debauched and foolish ideology.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr