Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

princess, the problem I have with that ideology is that it flies in the face of the words of Christ Himself.

HE is the way, HE is the truth, and HE is the life. There are not hundreds of spiritual truths, there is one.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    princess, the problem I have with that ideology is that it flies in the face of the words of Christ Himself.

HE is the way, HE is the truth, and HE is the life. There are not hundreds of spiritual truths, there is one.

Take up your cross and follow me...

The thing about Jesus, is, he's an all or nothing guy. He was abundantly clear about being the only way to the Father. If one professes to be Christian, then why wouldn't one believe His words, and all of His words, above all else? If one is not Christian, then I would expect that to them, the Bible is just a mildly interesting book with some historical value and some wacky stories. Their choice entirely.

But- once one reads/hears the words of Christ, and chooses to call themselves Christian, there is really no middle ground, no "many paths". Jesus left no room for such doubt.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post

The thing about Jesus, is, he's an all or nothing guy. He was abundantly clear about being the only way to the Father. If one professes to be Christian, then why wouldn't one believe His words, and all of His words, above all else? If one is not Christian, then I would expect that to them, the Bible is just a mildly interesting book with some historical value and some wacky stories. Their choice entirely.

[B]But- once one reads/hears the words of Christ, and chooses to call themselves Christian, there is really no middle ground, no "many paths". Jesus left no room for such doubt.[b]
    I don't think I've ever called myself Christian. This narrow aspect (my way or the highway) espoused in the Bible and by Christians is why I am not into religion....because it is an all or nothing aspect. I have read the Bible and I don't let it dictate how I live my life .... for me it was a foundation only, a starting point, for my lifelong spiritual growth.

As I said before, if Christians are right and I am wrong, they won't be affected by my choice. And, if we are both right, then I'll see all of them there and we'll have a good laugh!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    I don't think I've ever called myself Christian. This narrow aspect (my way or the highway) espoused in the Bible and by Christians is why I am not into religion....because it is an all or nothing aspect. I have read the Bible and I don't let it dictate how I live my life .... for me it was a foundation only, a starting point, for my lifelong spiritual growth.

As I said before, if Christians are right and I am wrong, they won't be affected by my choice. And, if we are both right, then I'll see all of them there and we'll have a good laugh!
    I don't think you ever have, Mkp. Not directed to you, and it is totally up to you what you believe.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

I don't think you ever have, Mkp. Not directed to you, and it is totally up to you what you believe.
    I'm glad you don't hold it against me Abbey!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did Calvinism leave?
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

The thing about Jesus, is, he's an all or nothing guy. He was abundantly clear about being the only way to the Father.

But- once one reads/hears the words of Christ, and chooses to call themselves Christian, there is really no middle ground, no "many paths". Jesus left no room for such doubt.
    Abbey - how many ways can Christ reveal Himself to people?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    The better question would be "how many ways DID He reveal Himself."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

Every way He wants, of course. But I do wonder how we can be sure that it is actually Christ revealing himself. We must always be on guard that it is not the Deceiver instead. Jesus' words in the Bible, on the other hand, are the basis of our faith. Without them, we are just making things up as we go along. But I know you know this.

Personally, I do not find the Jesus of the Bible lacking in any way. In fact, His nature is already somewhat more than I can fully comprehend.

-Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

can you come up with a solution for WHY he would reveal himself in multiple ways.....I can see a need for those denied access to scripture, but why would he have one book and way for Christians, and another way which ignores himself completely for Muslims and another way which ignores deity completely for Buddhists, or another way which believes (fill in the blank) just for one person?.......do you consider him schizophrenic?.....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It's pretty Clear that the Bible says that God has reaveled himself and his ways most clearly via Adam - Noah - Abraham - Moses - the law - the prophets and Finally Jesus and the apostles. In the old & New testaments there are many "other " religions and sincerely held beliefs. Mnay here write as if the people of the past didn't understand that other groups had "there own ways to god/s" The Bible acknowledges it and says that 99.9% of them are flat wrong. and the the people are following demons and not God. There is a some people in the scripture however that are truly following the God to the best of there knowledge. And when they are presented with the Fuller light of Scripture. They recognize it as just that and embrace it rather than stubbornly hold onto their own particular view.

So yes there may be Muslims, Buddhist, Hindi, pagans etc that have had the light of God in their hearts but have yet to hear the Gospel of Jesus and yet have a real faith in the true and living God that created the heavens and the earth and that faith , I believe, will bring them to heaven, IN SPITE OF the trappings of false religions. However those people if exposed to the Bible will reject the other ideas and recognize the fuller revelation of truth in scripture.

I don't understand how anyone whose read the scripture can come to a very different conclusion honestly.
    I mean based on what the Bible says, and the examples contained there.

mrskurtsprincess
    Sure people can read the Bible and begin to get "spiritual" but if you decide to pick and choose the parts you like or that "feel" right to you. Then it seems your a bit self deceived. how people can say they believe in "Christ" but reject half of what he teaches. Then call it a "beginning". The world religions don't jib together without outright denial of, what true adherents and its founders considered, core teaching. As cool as what you say sounds it seems a bit naive and dishonest to me. Jesus said some things that you deny, sorry I'll stick with Jesus. And your not taking a chance Jesus says he "has the keys of Hell and death" and "fear him that has power to send both body and soul into hell."

I just don't understand how anyone can lightly disregard those warnings and many like them from someone they say they include in there spiritual teachings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin was cool

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0z9gy8BEegk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0z9gy8BEegk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post

mrskurtsprincess
    Sure people can read the Bible and begin to get "spiritual" but if you decide to pick and choose the parts you like or that "feel" right to you. Then it seems your a bit self deceived. how people can say they believe in "Christ" but reject half of what he teaches. Then call it a "beginning". The world religions don't jib together without outright denial of, what true adherents and its founders considered, core teaching. As cool as what you say sounds it seems a bit naive and dishonest to me. Jesus said some things that you deny, sorry I'll stick with Jesus. And your not taking a chance Jesus says he "has the keys of Hell and death" and "fear him that has power to send both body and soul into hell."

I just don't understand how anyone can lightly disregard those warnings and many like them from someone they say they include in there spiritual teachings.
    Naive and dishonest ..... who's truth are we talking about here? Yours or mine? Have I ever said that your truth is false? I do believe that I have only stated what I believe to be my truth.

I don't believe I've ever said I am a Christian, so all the arguments here to intimidate me regarding the word of God, the path to Christ, etc. do not have an impact. I have said that I believe in God, and yet I am not religious, that I am just a spiritual person. In my opinion, there is a vast world of difference between the two.

My spirituality didn't come from reading the Bible .... it came long after I had put the Bible aside as the guiding force of my life. When I went to church and took Bible classes I felt religious because the only foundation I had to base a belief system on was the Bible (and it was the belief system being taught by that particular religion - Baptist). I then went through a time of attending other churches and listening to other interpretations of the Bible and the word of God. Each one had their own take on what God expected.

Then I started reading extensively about other belief systems not based on the Bible and realized that what I read in the Bible was not enough for me. It was then that I realized that I would rather be spiritual (picking and choosing if you wish) than religious (adhering to one particular doctrine). It's funny .... but going to a Jesuit college is what changed my outlook and helped me define the difference between religion and spirituality. Taking classes on religion forced me to look at more than one belief system.

As a result, I don't believe in heaven or hell, therefore, what is said in the Bible does not cause fear in me. To me it is just another source of information. It is sad to me that people seem to "need" a heaven or hell to dictate their actions (reward/punishment) .... that they need words written down from "God" or "Jesus" in order to know the right way to be, know and do.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtsprincess View Post
    Naive and dishonest ..... who's truth are we talking about here? Yours or mine? Have I ever said that your truth is false? I do believe that I have only stated what I believe to be my truth.

I don't believe I've ever said I am a Christian, so all the arguments here to intimidate me regarding the word of God, the path to Christ, etc. do not have an impact. I have said that I believe in God, and yet I am not religious, that I am just a spiritual person. In my opinion, there is a vast world of difference between the two.

My spirituality didn't come from reading the Bible .... it came long after I had put the Bible aside as the guiding force of my life. When I went to church and took Bible classes I felt religious because the only foundation I had to base a belief system on was the Bible (and it was the belief system being taught by that particular religion - Baptist). I then went through a time of attending other churches and listening to other interpretations of the Bible and the word of God. Each one had their own take on what God expected.

Then I started reading extensively about other belief systems not based on the Bible and realized that what I read in the Bible was not enough for me. It was then that I realized that I would rather be spiritual (picking and choosing if you wish) than religious (adhering to one particular doctrine). It's funny .... but going to a Jesuit college is what changed my outlook and helped me define the difference between religion and spirituality. Taking classes on religion forced me to look at more than one belief system.

As a result, I don't believe in heaven or hell, therefore, what is said in the Bible does not cause fear in me. To me it is just another source of information. It is sad to me that people seem to "need" a heaven or hell to dictate their actions (reward/punishment) .... that they need words written down from "God" or "Jesus" in order to know the right way to be, know and do.
    I think I hear where your coming from. You had some baptist teachings then after your exposure to other religions you decided the Bible was generally wrong but had somethings of minor value but you now understand right, wrong, god and spirituality by your own inner guidance system, revealed after long extensive study. At this point you feel sorry for others whom you feel don't have your clear inner light and seem forced to plod along under the whip of words from old books and spiritual founders that make threats and promises that you now clearly understand to be false but still, somehow, "informational".

ok

---------------------
    who's truth are we talking about here? Yours or mine? Have I ever said that your truth is false? I do believe that I have only stated what I believe to be my truth.
    I'm talking about universal realities. Truths that stand whether we believe them or not. Not personal notions of "truth".

We can cordially disagree on what a particular truth is but we both cannot honestly claim that our contradictory ideas are BOTH true at the same time.
    Unless we are willing to acknowledge that the "spiritual" world or talk is purely and totally imaginary and has no bearing on reality other than some personal mental conditioning. But reality demands (and you live out daily) that if your body is Miami today at noon est your body is not in Hong Kong at the same time. That if Jesus, on real wooden cross, spoke on a certain Day to the thief on the wooden cross next to him and said that "today" he would be with him in paradise. That their real souls went to real destination called paradise. or not. And Jesus brought his soul back into a resurrected body 3 days later, in fact and reality. Or not. But only as a curious idea and mental goad into good deeds. And that your own inner guides to spiritually (what ever those ideas may be now) are true in reality. or not.

If that's not the case and we each have our own realities, then how can you be sure your not just talking to yourself right now and i'm not just a figment of your own reality that begins and ends with you. or that the world didn't begin yesterday or won't begin until tomorrow (whatever that is). that this is just a spiritual hologram with no meaning what so ever and this whole conversation is meaningless life and death are meaningless love and murder are as real as the wind in an Asian ink drawing?

foprtyuerg ptn wpryn- kwrypnk pgkb k sptk wy kmgfnyn pypnen pynk 9yk 9yky k0y y9n k9ynk 9y0,etyj &9)--g-6587 787 78hjto50l0 005lbpd pjp
    Last edited by revelarts; 04-18-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
    I think I hear where your coming from. You had some baptist teachings then after your exposure to other religions you decided the Bible was generally wrong but had somethings of minor value but you now understand right, wrong, god and spirituality by your own inner guidance system, revealed after long extensive study. At this point you feel sorry for others whom you feel don't have your clear inner light and seem forced to plod along under the whip of words from old books and spiritual founders that make threats and promises that you now clearly understand to be false but still, somehow, "informational".

ok

---------------------

I'm talking about universal realities. Truths that stand whether we believe them or not. Not personal notions of "truth".

We can cordially disagree on what a particular truth is but we both cannot honestly claim that our contradictory ideas are BOTH true at the same time.
    Unless we are willing to acknowledge that the "spiritual" world or talk is purely and totally imaginary and has no bearing on reality other than some personal mental conditioning. But reality demands (and you live out daily) that if your body is Miami today at noon est your body is not in Hong Kong at the same time. That if Jesus, on real wooden cross, spoke on a certain Day to the thief on the wooden cross next to him and said that "today" he would be with him in paradise. That their real souls went to real destination called paradise. or not. And Jesus brought his soul back into a resurrected body 3 days later, in fact and reality. Or not. But only as a curious idea and mental goad into good deeds. And that your own inner guides to spiritually (what ever those ideas may be now) are true in reality. or not.

If that's not the case and we each have our own realities, then how can you be sure your not just talking to yourself right now and i'm not just a figment of your own reality that begins and ends with you. or that the world didn't begin yesterday or won't begin until tomorrow (whatever that is). that this is just a spiritual hologram with no meaning what so ever and this whole conversation is meaningless life and death are meaningless love and murder are as real as the wind in an Asian ink drawing?

foprtyuerg ptn wpryn- kwrypnk pgkb k sptk wy kmgfnyn pypnen pynk 9yk 9yky k0y y9n k9ynk 9y0,etyj &9)--g-6587 787 78hjto50l0 005lbpd pjp
    Rev ... I admire you for knowing your way and why you are following your path. I think I'll take a different one.....perhaps we'll meet someday....or not.