Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Default Education reform

You may be wondering (or not) "Where did that dang Gabosaurus run off to?" The answer is: I got to speak before a Congressional committee working on Education Reform.

What I was proposing amounted to a massive bailout of the public education system. Public schools are being forced to make drastic cuts. Which is a shame, since education is our country's most valuable resource.
    Our government needs to invest heavily in Head Start programs, along with after school programs and alternative education. We need to keep kids in school, have them graduate and make higher education available to everyone.
    A kid who drops out of high school is normally lost to society. The more education you have, the better your job possibilities are.

There are many other programs that can be cut instead of education. Primarily defense spending. There are a lot of archaic weaponry still being produced merely because no one wants to close the places where such items are built.
    Not to mention the Pentagon, which is horribly bloated and overstaffed. The military hierarchy can be weeded out at a tremendous savings.

But the main emphasis is on education. We need more teachers and educational support, not less. We need better schools and better programs.
    Some members of Congress firmly oppose this, of course. Since uneducated citizens usually become Republicans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    What I was proposing amounted to a massive bailout of the public education system. Public schools are being forced to make drastic cuts. Which is a shame, since education is our country's most valuable resource.
    Our government needs to invest heavily in Head Start programs, along with after school programs and alternative education. We need to keep kids in school, have them graduate and make higher education available to everyone.
    A kid who drops out of high school is normally lost to society. The more education you have, the better your job possibilities are.
    I would argue that the reason public schools, especially in cities, are making drastic cuts is because they are spending a ridiculous amount on reduced lunches, breakfasts and reduced book fees for low income children.

Before you get uptight and accuse me of wanting to starve these poor children, why not ask yourself. Why can't the parents who are receiving food stamps, from the gov. or state, be required to pack their childrens lunches and breakfasts???????????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

We need to get kids in schools in whatever way possible.
    A better way to control spending would be to stop admitting children of illegal aliens. But the schools are opposed to this because federal funding to schools is on a per student basis. This is what needs to be changed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

A better way to control spending would be to stop admitting children of illegal aliens. But the schools are opposed to this because federal funding to schools is on a per student basis. This is what needs to be changed.
    My God I think a snowball just wizzed by satans head!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100%
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

OK... who is the wise guy that stole Gabasaurus's ID? I'm calling LifeLock!
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

...education reform? Hold teachers and parents and students accountable. School Vouchers for all...and No property tax (or the portion that goes to schools) for parents who home-school or pay for private schooling.

Fire the liberal-whack-job prof's now occupying most of the State College institutions would be a good second step. Right now there isn't much College has to offer in the way of academic honesty.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

When I was a kid we knew the only way out of poverty was to go to school and get an education.....get a better job, etc.

Today, kids think they don't need an education to be successful for various reasons .... they think they can become successful as athletes, rock stars, movie stars, reality stars, drug czars, welfare queens, you name it .... there are just too many ways to make money and getting an education isn't as appealing to them.

Also, school was exciting when I was a kid ..... the alternative was staying home and doing chores or working in the fields. Today the alternative for kids is staying home and playing video games or computer games - there is no consequence for not doing well in school.

Education reform needs to start at home .... parents need to quit giving kids a choice about where their focus should be. I am tired of wasteful spending and I'm not convinced that spending money on schools is productive. Perhaps we should be putting parents through some type of educational process about turning off the tv, phone, computers, etc. so kids actually find school exciting enough to tune in.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I would argue that the reason public schools, especially in cities, are making drastic cuts is because they are spending a ridiculous amount on reduced lunches, breakfasts and reduced book fees for low income children.
    Yeah, school children don't need BOOKS

Before you get uptight and accuse me of wanting to starve these poor children, why not ask yourself. Why can't the parents who are receiving food stamps, from the gov. or state, be required to pack their childrens lunches and breakfasts???????????????
    Well heck, if its as easy as simply requiring it, why don't we require they send their kids to Harvard?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanTUba View Post
    Yeah, school children don't need BOOKS

Well heck, if its as easy as simply requiring it, why don't we require they send their kids to Harvard?
    A lot of states don't have parents pay a dime for children to go to public school. In Indiana you have to RENT the books your child will use. This means they have new books every 4 years and EVERY child has a book. The cost is not that much a year less than most of these welfare recipients spend on beer or cigs.

Now can you say the same in your state that EVERY child can bring a book home from the public system??? I think not....

Besides she didn't say they DIDN'T need books she said do away with some of the subsidies. A single mother of 3 in Indiana receives 600.00 dollars a month for food now why the fuck do they need free lunches and breakfast as well on top of this money. Our family of 6 doesn't spend that much every month....

Why can't we require that if your getting assistance from one place it should be illegal to DOUBLE DIP... Or are you REALLY that STUPID

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
    The cost is not that much a year less than most of these welfare recipients spend on beer or cigs.
    How much do they spend on beer and cigs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

How much do they spend on beer and cigs?
    Don't really know why don't you tell us how much you spend so I will have an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF the buy any its too damn much if your on assistance.

By the way nice of you to ignore the question about DOUBLE DIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Nukeman; 04-26-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't really know....

If you don't know then how do you know its more than the cost to rent books in Indiana?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

If you don't know then how do you know its more than the cost to rent books in Indiana?
    Books in Indiana run about 130.00 a year. divide that by 12 months that works out to 10.83 or about 2 packs of cigs or 1 case of cheep beer every month.. Are you telling me your really this stupid?????????????????

And still no comment on DOUBLE DIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMM

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Books in Indiana run about 130.00 a year. divide that by 12 months that works out to 10.83 or about 2 packs of cigs or 1 case of cheep beer every month.. Are you telling me your really this stupid?????????????????
    I'm not telling you anything. You made a quantitative assertion about how much people on welfare spend on smokes and cigarettes. To do this you need to know the actual quantities involved. So please, tell me, how much do they spend, and back it up with evidence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And still no comment on DOUBLE DIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMM
    Oh hell, when I was a kid my parents had to buy my books every year along
    with my tablets, pencils etc.

When did that stop being part of parenting?
    What are reparations? Making me pay
    for something I had nothing to do with compensates no one
    who suffered an injustice therefore I would be penalized for
    something I didnt do and someone else would receive a settlement
    for an injury they did not suffer.