Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default "Hearing from God"

...people feel so inclined to inform the rest of us they are hearing from God is not because they are, but because they want to ensure that we believe they are. They're trying to validate their spirituality in the eyes of the person they're talking to. The problem is that in doing so, they are step on the hearts of everyone in the room. They leave people wondering why God doesn't love them or speak to them as much as he does that person. People walk away feeling there is something wrong with their Christian walk, and they ask themselves why they can't hear the vocie of God with as much clarity as this person does....

Darin Hufford

http://themisunderstoodgod.com/
    I read that with the twinge of conviction. Countless times in my past I've been sure to announce to groups "God has led/told me x, y, and z". What I was actually seeking was their affirmation.

Great review of that book on a blog:

...I have been on both sides of this, the proud woman of God flaunting my latest hot tip from the holy press room of heaven, to the disquieted daughter of God who's baffled at her Father's favoritism.

This spirit of exhibitionism reveals my insecure outlook about myself more than anything else...and a misunderstood perception about my Father/Mother in heaven is what breeds the insecurity in the first place. Thank God that is behind me. It's exhausting to be a rockstar for Jesus...

http://godmessedmeup.blogspot.com/20...-too-nice.html
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly, I don't share my experiences with God so people believe I have them. I don't really care if they believe me or not. I speak about them because they are real. I speak about them because I am trying to get other people to have their own experiences with God.

I already know what I've experienced. Other people affirming or not won't change what I already know. But maybe someone will have their heart pricked and come to the Lord and find out for themselves.

Needless to say, I'm not convinced I agree with the blog.
    If we were as industrious to become good as to make ourselves great, we should become really great by being good, and the number of valuable men would be much increased; but it is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and i pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man that was not at the same time truly virtuous." - Ben Franklin

Imagine what good we can do if we all joined together, united as followers of Christ - M. Russell Ballard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

If you wanna hear from God, read The Bible! Its a pretty simple concept really.

Mea Culpa, I forgot, Evangelicals don't believe The Bible because it interferes with their lives and lifestyle. They hear from God in Rock Music, which makes so much more sense.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ