Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default The Beaver

The Beaver.

Directed by Jodie Foster
    Starring Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster

As a movie, The Beaver works in a couple ways. First, the seemingly simple, innocent title hides the deep, twisted, often-dark story of man, Walter, plagued by depression. As Walter's mental and physical house crumbles around him, he's faced with the ledge of a high-rise hotel balcony and imminent fall to the pavement below.

Walter finds a puppet beaver in a box of household goods he's packed in his truck; following an order to leave the house, by his very stressed-but-loving wife, played by Jodie Foster. Walter creates an identity for the puppet - complete with accent and mannerisms. While Walter talks, and moves the mouth of the puppet, The Beaver creates a strong, happy, decisive personality. The Beaver leads Walter's business (Walter inherited a toy company) to a booming success. Walter - via the Beaver - becomes close to his family again.

Things turn dark as the Beaver's personality consumes and eventually tires to destroy the 'real' Walter. Eventually, Walter sees he's losing himself, and takes drastic measures to remove himself from The Beaver.

This movie is - in a word - outstanding. I suspect I have not seen Mel Gibson punctuate a performance to this level. Direction is brilliant as Jodie Foster plays her role perfectly, letting the audience inside the mind of a woman who desperately loves her husband, yet tries to cope with the hard decisions required for her own sanity, and that of her two children.

If you like intelligent, real, and meaningful movies, rent or buy The Beaver. If I had to pick my favourite movies of all time, The top 10 would include movies like 'Star Wars' and 'The Silence of the Lambs' and now, 'The Beaver'.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

after reading the title of this thread, I am sorely disappointed by its contents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConHog View Post
    after reading the title of this thread, I am sorely disappointed by its contents.
    Idiot. You could have just stfu and left the 2 week old thread alone rather than bumping it to see your name in lights.

(Sounds like a good movie, too.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shattered View Post
    Idiot. You could have just stfu and left the 2 week old thread alone rather than bumping it to see your name in lights.

(Sounds like a good movie, too.)
    I'm still not going to engage you Dis.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Darin, I have this movie and will watch this week. If it's not as good as you say I will have to kill you. I did get it based on your review!!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    Darin, I have this movie and will watch this week. If it's not as good as you say I will have to kill you. I did get it based on your review!!
    Damn, that's a little harsh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Damn, that's a little harsh.
    I take my movie watching seriously!! Usually I'm more of an action/horror/thriller type of movie watcher, but have been known to enjoy a few tearjerkers or drama type movies. I've also watched a few movies that REALLY get to you, make you think, or leave a long lasting impression. I love when a 2hr movie can make you look at life differently and give you goose bumps. So I'm expecting that after reading Darin's awesome review. To tease a man about something as serious as a movie is worthy of death if one lies!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I take my movie watching seriously!! Usually I'm more of an action/horror/thriller type of movie watcher, but have been known to enjoy a few tearjerkers or drama type movies. I've also watched a few movies that REALLY get to you, make you think, or leave a long lasting impression. I love when a 2hr movie can make you look at life differently and give you goose bumps. So I'm expecting that after reading Darin's awesome review. To tease a man about something as serious as a movie is worthy of death if one lies!
    I enjoy a good movie as much as the next guy, but might I suggest Netflix, that way you don't have to kill a brother if he recommends a movie you don't like. LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

I enjoy a good movie as much as the next guy, but might I suggest Netflix, that way you don't have to kill a brother if he recommends a movie you don't like. LOL
    Who needs Netflix, I have the internet!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who needs Netflix, I have the internet!!
    Um Nexflix streams movies online. $8 a month all the movies you can watch.