Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I guess I really don't know because my kids aren't that age yet. My upbringing was/has been much different than most kids are raised under.

I was raised under an Irish-Catholic grandmother, who was also a staunch liberal/democrat. Yeah, figure that one out. It still makes me scratch my head...

Anyhow, regardless of political leanings, I was taught very early on from her and my mother (when i was with her) and my mother's family that you DO NOT disrespect adults. It did not matter if you did not like them or what you thought of them. You didn't talk back you didn't raise your voice, and you ALWAYS said "yes/please" and "no/thank you".

Both sides somewhat loosely abided by the 'if you cannot say anything nice...' guideline.

I never really rebelled because I didn't have to. My grandmother pretty much trusted me to do whatever I wanted (even at 13/14) because she knew what I was doing was never going to be intentionally illegal or harmful. She raised me with much common sense. I had to call and check in and let her know if I needed a ride, but mostly got rides from friends or walked. I hung around the theater and band crowd. I stayed over at friends' houses where it was a co-ed sleepover. Sometimes parents were there and sometimes not. But everyone I was with was never the kind to do anything to break the trust. Hell, one of my classmates I was in band and theater with is now a MN State Representative for the district I grew up in. Flaming Liberal, but still, that was the kind of people I surrounded myself with.
    When she passed away, my "dad" (her son) didn't seem to think that I should have the freedoms she gave me. I never had given him a reason to not trust me but all of a sudden my 'wings' were clipped. I didn't even really rebel then, but I certainly wasn't as honest as I wanted to be but because I felt he was being unreasonable, I did lots of things behind his back.

Now, I did I do things I wasn't supposed to do, like drink or smoke? Yes, I did try those things as a teenager. Most will at some point. However being as I didn't find myself liking it at all, there was nothing gained other than an expensive bad habit exchanged for an expensive good one (horseback riding lessons).

I see kids evreywhere just being pushy and rude and being total brats because they want something or don't like authority and think they have the same rights as an adult. I would have NEVER gotten away with that kind of behavior.

My kids NEVER get away with talking back to me or disrespecting adults. They are being raised to use manners. Their first words weren't 'mama' or 'dada'... they were 'please'.
    Last edited by KitchenKitten99; 06-29-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I depended on idiots that have so far responded in this thread I thinketh my children would be more confused than they already are. Kick back and be yourself and encourage your children to do the same.

Psychoblues