Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
Actually, some of the reason is that people who feel a deep shame think that becoming a priest would be a "catch all" solution, allowing them to give their lives over in service to God, while "taking" sex off the table. Unfortunately, they do nothing to actually treat the problem within themselves, and it will eventually catch you, same as it did my dad.

He never entered the priesthood, but he threw himself into marriage as a cover. He avoided the central core issue of his life for more than two decades, the core thing that had led him in the direction of alcoholism. You cannot overcome issues that you refuse to acknowledge and deal with.

Now, in Mormonism, the priests are allowed to marry, have kids, and obviously, have sex, but cannot have alcohol, cigarettes or mind-altering drugs of any kind (caffeine is included in this), as the mormon belief holds that the body is a creation of God, and therefore sacred, so to do these things that are directly harmful to the body is a sin against God. I think they take it too far, but not really the point (They'll get my Sweet Tea when they pry it from my cold dead hands.).

I actually never really understood the concept of celibacy for God. I mean, one of his few direct statements in the Bible is "Go Forth and Multiply". I know the history of it is attached to this belief that having the kind of love and attention required for a family distracts from a "perfect" (no such thing) devotion to god, but I think it got blown horribly out of proportion. Life itself is a distraction from worshipping God.

I was married to a mormon, but not raised in it. The religion my dad had was started by a military guy in the 1950's, its not well known. My moms religion was started by a woman and neither is mainstream. I attended the mormon church when I was married but never joined. Mormons are really against gay people.