Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jillian View Post
    Corporations DON'T always take reasonable precautions. And in fact they don't take precautions at all unless there is the threat of lawsuits.

But THIS Corporation has ALWAYS taken 'reasonable' precautions - from Day one. Even if the precautions was "Don't lie about your age" it was reasonable. It was more than that...but that's still reasonable.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem with this is that the parents obviously failed to teach their kids responsibility. Not surprisingly, the parents are now shirking their accountability by trying to shift blame (and responsibility) onto MySpace.

Bak when I was a kid, my parents hammered into me that I shouldn't talk to stranger and I most certainly shouldn't get in a car or meet strangers without specific parental approval. It's all about failure of parenting and an abdication of parental responsibilities and accountability.

Freaking unbelievable.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    But THIS Corporation has ALWAYS taken 'reasonable' precautions - from Day one. Even if the precautions was "Don't lie about your age" it was reasonable. It was more than that...but that's still reasonable.
    Your basis for the claim that it was "more than that"? Or is it that we should trust the benevolent corporations to watch out for us?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CockySOB View Post
    The problem with this is that the parents obviously failed to teach their kids responsibility. Not surprisingly, the parents are now shirking their accountability by trying to shift blame (and responsibility) onto MySpace.

Bak when I was a kid, my parents hammered into me that I shouldn't talk to stranger and I most certainly shouldn't get in a car or meet strangers without specific parental approval. It's all about failure of parenting and an abdication of parental responsibilities and accountability.

Freaking unbelievable.
    Part of me agrees with you, actually. Because it *is* stupid for a kid to meet someone they don't know... particularly by themselves. And part of me thinks the parents should have been more involved in what their kid was doing. I'm also not certain what steps could have been taken to protect the kids. But here's the thing.... if there are greater (reasonable) precautions which myspace can take... they should. Sometimes adolescents need to be protected from their own stupidity.... raging hormones cloud the brain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving the parents... or the kids... of responsibility, I'm simply saying if myspace is going to profit from creating a kid-enticing environment... and they do.... then they should make it as safe as reasonably possible for them.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Your basis for the claim that it was "more than that"? Or is it that we should trust the benevolent corporations to watch out for us?
    We should trust benevolent corporations to watch out for us - by asking us our age, and giving guidelines for membership to a specific service. Beyond that, the responsibility for what kids do rests ultimately upon themselves or their parents. Of course, Parents wouldn't sue themselves or their kids, because the parents in question are greedy bastards.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should trust benevolent corporations to watch out for us - by asking us our age, and giving guidelines for membership to a specific service. Beyond that, the responsibility for what kids do rests ultimately upon themselves or their parents. Of course, Parents wouldn't sue themselves or their kids, because the parents in question are greedy bastards.
    okie dokie... so the corporation has no responsibility. roger... and those damn slutty, heathens deserve what they got, eh?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

okie dokie... so the corporation has no responsibility. roger... and those damn slutty, heathens deserve what they got, eh?
    In this instance, the corporation took very reasonable measures. They cannot be liable for the conduct of the Criminals involved. Since the LEFT like to point fingers more than solve problems, sure - blame the kids who worked themselves into a frenzy enough to meet with bad people. Blame the Parents for not being involved-enough in the lives of their kids. Blame - blame -Blame. Wait - it's not Blame...We need a new word. Blame can't be spelled with a dollar sign.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Part of me agrees with you, actually. Because it *is* stupid for a kid to meet someone they don't know... particularly by themselves. And part of me thinks the parents should have been more involved in what their kid was doing. I'm also not certain what steps could have been taken to protect the kids. But here's the thing.... if there are greater (reasonable) precautions which myspace can take... they should. Sometimes adolescents need to be protected from their own stupidity.... raging hormones cloud the brain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving the parents... or the kids... of responsibility, I'm simply saying if myspace is going to profit from creating a kid-enticing environment... and they do.... then they should make it as safe as reasonably possible for them.
    It's good that you agree with me that parents should be playing a much more prominent role in their children's upbringing, rather than shirking their responsibilities.

I notice you say "if there are greater (reasonable) precautions which myspace can take." Since you've given this some thought, what suggestions would you make as to precautions sites like MySpace could take?

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In this instance, the corporation took very reasonable measures. They cannot be liable for the conduct of the Criminals involved. Since the LEFT like to point fingers more than solve problems, sure - blame the kids who worked themselves into a frenzy enough to meet with bad people. Blame the Parents for not being involved-enough in the lives of their kids. Blame - blame -Blame. Wait - it's not Blame...We need a new word. Blame can't be spelled with a dollar sign.
    You just make sure to place multiple BLAME$.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It's good that you agree with me that parents should be playing a much more prominent role in their children's upbringing, rather than shirking their responsibilities.

I notice you say "if there are greater (reasonable) precautions which myspace can take." Since you've given this some thought, what suggestions would you make as to precautions sites like MySpace could take?
    The beauty of hindsight. TheLeft loves to come up with GREAT ideas after the fact. Because TheLeft has very few original, good ideas, they blame others for not having thought of anything either. Why didn't the parents complain about MySpace's precautions BEFORE the attacks on their out-of-control kids? Easy - there's no MONEY in it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh... I get it. It's about letting the slutty girls get victimized. You guys do like doing that.

Corporations DON'T always take reasonable precautions. And in fact they don't take precautions at all unless there is the threat of lawsuits.
    We've already covered this, you arent paying attention. There is absolutely nothing myspace can do to avoid this. The kids often lie and say they are in their twenties. Likewise predators can lie and saiy they are teenagers. There is no way internet sites can verify anything they say.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You really don't understand conservatism. One of the central precepts is self reliance.

When you expect others to look out for you rather than doing it yourself, you are always going to be disappointed. This is exactly why its the parents responsibilities to be aware of what their child is doing and who their child is talking to. Because you cant and shouldnt expect others to. Especially in cases where they have no power to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. what precautions is myspace supposed to take? How are they supposed to know when people lie about their age?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Last night my 5-year-old broke into a liquor store. He'd TOLD me he was going to a friend's house. Breaking glass cut his leg. While in the store he drank himself into a stupor. I'm pretty excited, because now I can sue the liquor store and the State of Washington. They should have taken MORE precautions to keep my 5 year old from slipping between the steel gate which covers the store front. They also should have taken precautions to prevent him from throwing a rock through the glass door to gain access. Further, they should have KNOWN broken glass can be sharp and taken appropriate precautions against the shards cutting him. Jim Beam should KNOW their product can hurt a child, and should have removed all alcohol content. I mean, honestly, it's THEIR fault for making such a tasty product. I'm "sad" about my son, but thrilled that through MY neglect and his undisciplined lifestyle, I stand to make MILLIONS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C'mon you guys! I was wanting Jilllian to outline her ideas so I could methodically shoot them down. Now you've gone and made fun of her (and librulls in general) and she won't respond.