Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Like I said at the beginning of this thread. I'm using this as kind of a running line on the bill of rights, but our rights acknowledge in the constitution more broadly. Not really expecting much comment. some items are kind of stream of consciousness and what i'm reading and viewing on the matter.

I hit this interesting speed bump in the federalist paper # 84.

"...The creation of crimes after the commission of the fact, or, in other words, the subjecting of men to punishment for things which, when they were done, were breaches of no law, and the practice of arbitrary imprisonments, have been, in all ages, the favorite and most formidable instruments of tyranny. The observations of the judicious Blackstone,1 in reference to the latter, are well worthy of recital: "To bereave a man of life, Usays he,e or by violence to confiscate his estate, without accusation or trial, would be so gross and notorious an act of despotism, as must at once convey the alarm of tyranny throughout the whole nation; but confinement of the person, by secretly hurrying him to jail, where his sufferings are unknown or forgotten, is a less public, a less striking, and therefore A MORE DANGEROUS ENGINE of arbitrary government." And as a remedy for this fatal evil he is everywhere peculiarly emphatical in his encomiums on the habeas-corpus act, which in one place he calls "the BULWARK of the British Constitution....""

the assumption was that we would never do that here. Never put some one in jail with a trail or in secret. But sadly we have, and have attempted to find ways to justify it legally in congress and the courts. Both Bush and Obama are DOING this day. there are people in jail in bases in Afghanistan and still in secret prisons around the world. I don't believe the secret prisons are close like Obama says.

" ...so gross and notorious an act of despotism...And as a remedy for this fatal evil .... the habeas-corpus act, ,... he calls "the BULWARK of the British Constitution...."

whoah how far have we fallen, EVEN HAMILTON UNDERSTOOD THIS but some of us now have mistakenly called on the gov't to do it and don't see the danger of allowing gov't the authority to do it.
    Last edited by revelarts; 08-11-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16