Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    The suit that my cousin's husband has helped file does not challenge SB 1070 itself. Only challenges how it is enforced.
    Currently, law enforcement is allowed to question people based on their perception of who might be an illegal immigrant. Factors could include language spoken, how the person is dressed and where their vehicle is registered.
    If his challenge is upheld, law enforcement will be required to question the legal status of everyone. Otherwise, enforcement would be discriminatory and thus illegal.
    A precedent is in current state border crossings between Texas and New Mexico and NM/Arizona. There is a checkpoint where they ask everyone if they are U.S. citizens.

I certainly hope Arizona has enough in its state treasury to defend the dozen or more challenges now on tap for SB 1070. The state is currently considering requesting federal aid to defend itself. Which I hope the Obama administration would laugh heartily at.
    This may be a stupid question .... but, how many people who are stopped by cops for something are not asked for their I.D.? I still haven't figured out this one .... example: cop stops a jaywalker and decides to give them a ticket. He asks for their I.D. ..... and bingo ... they are either legal and have I.D. or they don't have I.D. and they go to jail.

How is this law going to change that?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    You might not be an American if....

You don't speak English.
    Profilin, Huh?!! Carry on !!!!
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

wonder why Osama has never been to AZ ????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

If his challenge is upheld, law enforcement will be required to question the legal status of everyone.
    Keep in mind that little gabby is a blinders-on liberal fanatic.

She wants very much for police to be going around demanding "Your papers, please!" of EVERYONE.
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 07-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The suit that my cousin's husband has helped file does not challenge SB 1070 itself. Only challenges how it is enforced.
    Currently, law enforcement is allowed to question people based on their perception of who might be an illegal immigrant. Factors could include language spoken, how the person is dressed and where their vehicle is registered.
    If his challenge is upheld, law enforcement will be required to question the legal status of everyone. Otherwise, enforcement would be discriminatory and thus illegal.
    A precedent is in current state border crossings between Texas and New Mexico and NM/Arizona. There is a checkpoint where they ask everyone if they are U.S. citizens.

I certainly hope Arizona has enough in its state treasury to defend the dozen or more challenges now on tap for SB 1070. The state is currently considering requesting federal aid to defend itself. Which I hope the Obama administration would laugh heartily at.
    To become a citizen of this country you have to pass an English Proficiency Test. If an officer asks you for I.D. and you need an interpreter to understand what he is saying, chances are you are illegal!

An illegal immigrant just killed a 70 year old man in my state, in a car accident. This person had no idea what the officer was saying to her until they brought in a translator. Needless to say she had no license and should not have been on the highway in the first place, but she didn't care. Why should she care about the law? She's not legal in the first place.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...r-U-S-41-crash
    Last edited by sybarite; 07-27-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The challenge to SB 1070 have been SUCCESSFUL!! Apparently the lawyers involved in the case (my cousin's husband included) were able to convince the presiding judge that the current legislation relies too heavily on racial profiling.

http://www.latimes.com/la-na-arizona...,3606702.story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The challenge to SB 1070 have been SUCCESSFUL!! Apparently the lawyers involved in the case (my cousin's husband included) were able to convince the presiding judge that the current legislation relies too heavily on racial profiling.

It will be overturned on appeal Gabby. This judge said being an illegal is illegal - but the state can't enforce an existing Federal law????

This is a major factor as to why your state is going broke. The cost of illegals continues to grow and YOU seem to be wiling to continue to pay, and pay, and pay for it

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

So?

If stats say that the majority of illegals in this country are of a specific nationality .... then why wouldn't our law enforcement be on the lookout for that profile?

What do you think police are doing when they start profiling a serial killer ... they start by looking at white males in their 20s or 30s.......so, tell me again why profiling is wrong?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Odd. The way I read the decision was more along the lines of "allowing AZ to enforce their state law would create an undue burden on the Federal government in enforcing their own regulations." This comes dangerously close to putting the policies of POTUS (not enforcing border security) ahead of state sovereignty and the duty of state officials to protect their citizenry.

I expect the AZ legislature to move rapidly to amend SB 1070 to address some of the judge's verbiage concerns ("must check" to "may check", etc.) And I expect that the preemption argument is at best a 50-50 proposition after arguments have been heard and appeals processed.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

as long as all the illegals go to mexifornia im happy. its a welfare state anyway. let them pay for it. better them than us

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    as long as all the illegals go to mexifornia im happy. its a welfare state anyway. let them pay for it. better them than us
    ... as long as the rest of the country doesn't have to bail out California's fiscal mess.
    “Liberalism is totalitarianism with a human face” - Thomas Sowell

“What "multiculturalism" boils down to is that you can praise any culture in the world except Western culture - and you cannot blame any culture in the world except Western culture” - Thomas Sowell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CockySOB View Post
    ... as long as the rest of the country doesn't have to bail out California's fiscal mess.
    snif...........I smell revolution

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

so they change it so that EVERYONES status is checked. Problem solved.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Susie Baker, 53, who remodels homes in Tucson, felt differently. "I am thrilled," she said as she headed into the store. "I think Jan Brewer is out of her mind. She is bringing harm to Arizona."

Baker said she often hires Latinos on home projects, and doesn't ask them their immigration status.
    I loved this part, that the LA Times was so hard up to find someone who disagreed with the law that they had to go to someone who was a contributing part of the problem. Of course the people who are hiring day laborers with no thought to whether they are citizens or not are going to have issue with being taken to task on it.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org