Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Switched to Firefox --- wish me luck

After several months of suffering with IE8, I decided to switch to Firefox. I heard that it is more secure and does not have all the problems that IE 8 has.

Some of the things that IE8 did that annoyed me...

1. It would regularly freeze on web pages. I have a Google home page with news and other gadgets (including an RSS feed to my favorite message board.. hint.. hint)... loading that sometimes would be enough to cause my session to freeze indefinitely.

2. More than once, printing web pages turned into a major effort. Again, because IE8 froze.

3. I read that IE8 is not very secure while Firefox is. I've been hit several times either with viruses or malware/adware.

I tried Firefox before but I switched back because of problems. For instance, the work website I use requires IE to work properly.

anyone have any thoughts on this?
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    After several months of suffering with IE8, I decided to switch to Firefox. I heard that it is more secure and does not have all the problems that IE 8 has.

Some of the things that IE8 did that annoyed me...

1. It would regularly freeze on web pages. I have a Google home page with news and other gadgets (including an RSS feed to my favorite message board.. hint.. hint)... loading that sometimes would be enough to cause my session to freeze indefinitely.

2. More than once, printing web pages turned into a major effort. Again, because IE8 froze.

3. I read that IE8 is not very secure while Firefox is. I've been hit several times either with viruses or malware/adware.

I tried Firefox before but I switched back because of problems. For instance, the work website I use requires IE to work properly.

anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Between Safari and Firefox I've not had any problems with freezing. Then again, I switched to Mac.

I'd keep IE for work and use Firefox for everything else.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I use SRWare at home - it's like a spy/ad-free version of Chrome. Love it.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Best to use IE only for work. I have used FF for about five years now. It blocks pop up pages, has it's own firewall and I have never known it to freeze up. All my other programs work well with it. I have Google Chrome as well but have not used it much. I'm comfortable with FF. To help keep things running smooth check out Advanced System Care.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I've been using Firefox for 5-6 years now and have never went back to I.E.. I've never had any problems with it that I can remember.

In the beginning I had to use I.E. for some applications but that hasn't been the case in a few years.
    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I came home from work and started using Firefox. First thing I noticed was that my Google homepage loaded quicker than on IE (without freezing). The second thing I noticed was that, I don't need the Google toolbar spell check any longer! Firefox automatically spell checks posts as I type, which I find a very nice feature.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Firefox is prob the best browser aslong as you don't overload it with apps. Though I mainly use Safari (as I've a mac) and Chrome for some bits and bobs.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I switched to Firefox years ago, best online move I ever made.

Microsoft sucks, it's what you get with a monopoly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have Firefox and Google chrome, personally I prefer Google Chrome however Firefox is a really good browser too. IE anything sucks!

One question you don't buy any chance use IE6 for work do you???
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I have Firefox and Google chrome, personally I prefer Google Chrome however Firefox is a really good browser too. IE anything sucks!

One question you don't buy any chance use IE6 for work do you???
    No, we use IE 7 at work. That is part of the standard PC image. Most users at work can't upgrade to IE8 or install Firefox on our own because we don't have administrator privileges (that was done to prevent the spread of viruses)

I heard mention of a pilot program for IE8 but no one I know of at work has it yet.

BTW... day 3 with Firefox, so far, no problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Firefox is prob the best browser aslong as you don't overload it with apps. Though I mainly use Safari (as I've a mac) and Chrome for some bits and bobs.
    I limit the number of applications that I install on my machine and, unless there is a good reason not to, accept the default settings when I do install.

My machine has Office, Quicken, iTunes and Weatherbug (which isn't needed now because they have a Google gadget) and that's it.

The only thing I installed on my browser was the Google toolbar, because of its spell checker. Firefox has this capability built in, so that's no longer needed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    I limit the number of applications that I install on my machine and, unless there is a good reason not to, accept the default settings when I do install.

My machine has Office, Quicken, iTunes and Weatherbug (which isn't needed now because they have a Google gadget) and that's it.

The only thing I installed on my browser was the Google toolbar, because of its spell checker. Firefox has this capability built in, so that's no longer needed.
    You might want to uninstall weatherbug that's ad-ware.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word. ~ Gaffer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    You might want to uninstall weatherbug that's ad-ware.
    I forgot to mention that I installed Spyware Doctor and McAfee Anti-virus, too. Between those two, Weatherbug was un-installed for me