Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs down Lesbian cadet quits West Point, cites 'don't ask'

sucks, hope dadt dies soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100812/..._lesbian_cadet

WEST POINT, N.Y. – A lesbian cadet asked Monday to resign from the U.S. Military Academy because she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.

Katherine Miller of Findlay, Ohio, also said she wants to fight for repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" law, a subject she was studying and writing about as a sociology major at West Point.

"I intend for my resignation to offer a concrete example of the consequences of a failed law and social policy," she wrote in her resignation letter, referring to the law against gays serving openly in the military.

Miller wrote proudly of her accomplishments as a student, athlete and soldier and said that she had not been pressured by anyone to resign. But she wrote of being "coerced into ignoring derogatory comments towards homosexuals for fear of being alienated for my viewpoint" and that she "endured sexual harassment for fear of being accused as a lesbian."

Miller said by e-maiI that she wasn't immediately available to speak with The Associated Press on Thursday, but confirmed the resignation letter.

In the letter, she said she fabricated a heterosexual dating history to share with any fellow cadets who asked.

"In short, I have lied to my classmates and compromised my integrity and identity by adhering to existing military policy," she said.

Ranked ninth in the class of more than 1,100 cadets about to start their third year, Miller's resignation letter was dated a week before she would be required to sign a commitment to finish her final two years and serve five years in the military.

Jim Fox, a West Point spokesman, said Miller will remain at the academy while her request is reviewed. That takes about a week, he said.

Miller "is in good standing and has done very well academically, militarily and physically while at the academy," Fox said Thursday. Cadets may withdraw at any point in their first two years without owing the government service or compensation for the education and benefits they've received.

Miller has been admitted to Yale University, starting in September.

She said she will work through her studies and political activism to win repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" law and would apply to return to West Point in the 2011-2012 academic year if that happens soon enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LiberalNation View Post
    sucks, hope dadt dies soon.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100812/..._lesbian_cadet

WEST POINT, N.Y. – A lesbian cadet asked Monday to resign from the U.S. Military Academy because she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.

Katherine Miller of Findlay, Ohio, also said she wants to fight for repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" law, a subject she was studying and writing about as a sociology major at West Point.

"I intend for my resignation to offer a concrete example of the consequences of a failed law and social policy," she wrote in her resignation letter, referring to the law against gays serving openly in the military.

Miller wrote proudly of her accomplishments as a student, athlete and soldier and said that she had not been pressured by anyone to resign. But she wrote of being "coerced into ignoring derogatory comments towards homosexuals for fear of being alienated for my viewpoint" and that she "endured sexual harassment for fear of being accused as a lesbian."

Miller said by e-maiI that she wasn't immediately available to speak with The Associated Press on Thursday, but confirmed the resignation letter.

In the letter, she said she fabricated a heterosexual dating history to share with any fellow cadets who asked.

"In short, I have lied to my classmates and compromised my integrity and identity by adhering to existing military policy," she said.

Ranked ninth in the class of more than 1,100 cadets about to start their third year, Miller's resignation letter was dated a week before she would be required to sign a commitment to finish her final two years and serve five years in the military.

Jim Fox, a West Point spokesman, said Miller will remain at the academy while her request is reviewed. That takes about a week, he said.

Miller "is in good standing and has done very well academically, militarily and physically while at the academy," Fox said Thursday. Cadets may withdraw at any point in their first two years without owing the government service or compensation for the education and benefits they've received.

Miller has been admitted to Yale University, starting in September.

She said she will work through her studies and political activism to win repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" law and would apply to return to West Point in the 2011-2012 academic year if that happens soon enough.
    From the article it sounds like she successfully completed her plan. 2 years on Uncle Sam's dime, then off to Ivy with no penalty.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn, no pics.

I love seeing pics of real life lezbos. They never look like the lezbos on Howard Stern. More like Pete Rose and John Candy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    From the article it sounds like she successfully completed her plan. 2 years on Uncle Sam's dime, then off to Ivy with no penalty.
    good on her. She also spent two years putting up with homophobic assholes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Really? Sounds like she was lying about her life and then judging. But wtf, what's the dif right? Furthering the cause...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government asked her to lie when they put dadt in place.......

Personally wouldn't give up a commission and guaranteed job for the cause but good on her for doing it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

The government asked her to lie when they put dadt in place.......

Personally wouldn't give up a commission and guaranteed job for the cause but good on her for doing it.
    She chose to lie. She was smart enough to get into West Point or Yale from HS, she chose West Point for 2 years, to make her point. She lied to do so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She only lied because they made her and now she gets to make a point with it. Again, good on her. If they had never made her lie, she never woulda had to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

She only lied because they made her and now she gets to make a point with it. Again, good on her. If they had never made her lie, she never woulda had to.
    LOL! They 'made her lie.' She didn't know the rules? Lie. She did, she lied. For her own purpose.

Now if she'd gone to Yale, worked on her sociology thesis on why the policy is wrong, should be changed, etc., whether on scholarship or on her own dime, not a thing wrong with that.

But she chose to lie. She's no heroine, just a liar.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lying ain't lying when they tell you to do it. The government opened themselves up for this with their stupid policy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Lying ain't lying when they tell you to do it. The government opened themselves up for this with their stupid policy.
    Now you are lying. I'll assume you figure you are in good company of liars.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dadt demands you put the whole honesty thing aside to abide by policy and so many do. The government mandates you do so.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Excuse me? SHE was the only one there who lacked integrity. She's a lying manipulative greedy bitch. Gawd you are such a whiner. Honestly I hope the military breaks you hard...maybe if you rebuild yourself you won't be such a putz.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol somehow I doubt that.......

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

If I can just ask, having skimmed through the thread, how/why did she have to lie? Surly the point of DADT is that you don't ask therefore she would not have to respond with a lie.

I still think it's a stupid policy but she would only have to lie if the rules were first broken by someone else,
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.