Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

military pays how much? If Harry can do it..............
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    military pays how much? If Harry can do it..............
    Even if I could physicaly do it (which I doubt, given I have sparadic chest pains than render me useless for periods of time) There is ofcourse the monarchy problem, I am not a believer in undemocratic heredatory rule and ofcourse the army operates 'for queen and country' while that my seem like an irrelevence, it's not for me. Not to metion I would never kill another human (or for that fact, animal) unless to was tge very last resort.

By way of an answer, I think pre-tax a private starts out at £14k ($20k)
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Your decisions about what you believe are painting yourself into a corner.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Your decisions about what you believe are painting yourself into a corner.
    Indeed, such is life.

But like I said, even if I wasn't put off by other factors the second I'd turn around to someone 2 hours into a 5 hour march and say 'btw can we stop for the next 30 mins or so until my pain passes' I'd be out.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Free advice and food for thought, take it for what it's worth.
    There are several alternative ways of getting an "education" now a days. Depending on the field you want to pursue a degree from university may not be your biggest asset. And as long as you stay single and without the responsibility of children or ailing family members. You've got more options.
    Learning a skilled trade over a few moths or years could carry you around the world and back. I know a wielder who went to Dubai and made over $200,000 in one year. Electricians and Plumbers will always have work as well. I own an old Mercedes, the guy i take it to for services is a former University engineering teacher. He quit his university job to open the repair shop and get free of the University politics and BS. A trade can carry you and or supplement your income for the rest of your life.

Not sure how the housing market is there but i've read in some places in Europe it's still possible to buy an older beat up home, live in it, fix it up and sell it for a profit. Do that a few times or help others do it, and learn. If your at all entrepreneurial you might want to explore the opportunities available for you. Some of the people that stay in college will be bosses, but even then they will mostly be working for the people who created and have their own businesses.

If you have a real passion that's not going to make you any money, you might want to pursue it for a year and then start to look at what you want to do for cash and career. it might even lead you there.

As far as telling your friends and family, I don't know of any easy way to get by that. And no matter what you do somebodies not going to like it. Why should that be you, you've got the most at stake a this point. But don't write University off, I'm sure your going to keep learning but degrees are very powerful at opening many doors even if they, at times , don't help that much when you get through them.
    Last edited by revelarts; 08-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you living at your parents now Noir? If you are then you have yet to experience how costly it is to be out on your own with a job that isn't at the top of the pay scale. Once you begin renting and footing the bill for your own utilities, food etc, you won't have the extra money to save like you have now.

However, on the other side of the coin, if what you are doing now, is making you so miserable that you're seeking advice, then maybe it's time to make a change.

You could take a hiatus for a year, travel and work at odd jobs along the way until you get your bearings. Maybe you are just burned out and need some time off of schooling and studying. Go out and experience a bit of life. Then after a year, if you still don't want to go back to the university, start building your life in what makes you happy. It's your life Noir. You are the one that has to look in the mirror everyday seeing a young man that is excited to live his life or one that is bored to death, miserable and desiring a change.

Time flies by very quickly Noir. One day you are 20 and the next day you're 40. So don't waste time. Tell your family about whatever plans you may have made immediately. They deserve that much.

You are the one that has to live your life Noir. You are the one responsible for it. And you are the one that has to decide what is the best decision for you that you will be comfortable with.

If you continue on unhappy and miserable then you will have resigned yourself to that destiny. And, you could very well end up with some physical ailments over the long run.

You have to do what is right for you at this point in time. Money affords one the means to have a better life. But what good is the better life if one is sick at heart and miserable with ones life?

Life is all about choices Noir. We make the choice to get up everyday and go to work as a waitress. Or a cashier. Or a phychriatrist. Or to eat a fast food meal. So make the choice that is for you....

Good luck honey, in whatever you choose to do.....
    "Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground." Crosby, Stills and Nash......

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Justa quick message to say I told my dad and his girlfriend tonight, went much better than expected, but I've got my mum and then (the final boss) my nan yet to tell, could get very messy xD

Thanks for all the insights and comments,

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Told my mum tonight, don't think it could of gone much worse. Bad times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I'm going to be the wet blanket in this thread....

Stick with your studies and get a good job if that's where it leads. Then live beneath your means....

Why? Because money gives you options, poverty won't.

When you are older and you have the means, you can then pursue something that you truly love. If you don't have the means you won't be able to pursue anything.

Do not sacrifice tomorrow for gratification today.

Someday, you may have children and you will want to provide for them... you won't be able to do that with a dream...
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Well short term I'll continue to work in the job I'm in at the minute as that provides more than enough income though I'll be looking for another one. I also plan to carry out volenteery work for a local MLA/Cllr with a mind to midterm employmet within the civil sector

Long term (3ish years) I have my sights set on moving to America, if it were not for some other cirumstances I'd be there now.
    do I understand this correctly?.....you've decided you don't want to finish school because you'd be happier working for the government?.......good lord!.....
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    I'm going to be the wet blanket in this thread....

Stick with your studies and get a good job if that's where it leads. Then live beneath your means....

Why? Because money gives you options, poverty won't.

When you are older and you have the means, you can then pursue something that you truly love. If you don't have the means you won't be able to pursue anything.

Do not sacrifice tomorrow for gratification today.

Someday, you may have children and you will want to provide for them... you won't be able to do that with a dream...
    Don't worry, I've had plenty of wetness thrown my way xD

And I would of stuck with it if I could see prospects at the end, but the simple fact is that there isn't. I've already dug myself into this hole for the past 3 years, I do t wana do it for another 3.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    do I understand this correctly?.....you've decided you don't want to finish school because you'd be happier working for the government?.......good lord!.....
    No, there are a number of reasons, but whether or not I had gone through with it my aspirations to work within/for the people would remain unchanged.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

It's not just doing what you love....

You must be able and willing to retrain yourself to meet the the demands of the economy.

For instance, I am a Java programmer, and over the past few years the need for Java in my company has gone from high to very low.... I am now trying to train myself in SAP... not because I'm in love with SAP, but because that's where the jobs seem to be.
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dude. If you couldn't make it - it'd only be due to your admission of failure at the beginning. DO IT. There are millions of people "who wouldn't make it" who, thanks to hard work, DO make it. I believe in you.
    Noir, listen to Dmp, he is right, you are your own worst enemy.
    The Military has much to offer, and in need of bright people.

Don't sell yourself short, you will face many challenges in life, but to limit yourself so early in life will be a burden for the rest of your life.

Think about this for a moment, if you quit this easily, it will always be easy to quit again and again.

I never finished college, it wasn't for me, so I went into business for myself, and succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, all because I wasn't willing to quit.

Three years is nothing in the big scheme of things, if for no other reason, do it for you, not because it's expected of you.
    Then when all is said and done, join the Military, it will be the experience of a lifetime, I guarantee it!
    Not to mention the doors it will open later on.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    Noir, listen to Dmp, he is right, you are your own worst enemy.
    The Military has much to offer, and in need of bright people.

Don't sell yourself short, you will face many challenges in life, but to limit yourself so early in life will be a burden for the rest of your life.

Think about this for a moment, if you quit this easily, it will always be easy to quit again and again.

I never finished college, it wasn't for me, so I went into business for myself, and succeeded beyond my wildest dreams, all because I wasn't willing to quit.

Three years is nothing in the big scheme of things, if for no other reason, do it for you, not because it's expected of you.
    Then when all is said and done, join the Military, it will be the experience of a lifetime, I guarantee it!
    Not to mention the doors it will open later on.
    I'm not going to the army full stop, thanks.

And this is not quitting, this is doing what I should of done several years ago, but didn't because of the pressure from others.

Anyways, on a more progressive note, have an interview next week for an Estate Agents. No experience required, good salary with commission, large company and local. It's nit what I want to do, nor do I think it will be in anyway easy given the housing market, but if they're employing then atleast the company thinks it's doable.