Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Noir, what do you want to do with your life? That is a big factor here.

I would ask you to consider the fact that 3 years is not that long. Could it be that you are not happy at university because you are in the wrong program? What educational path have you chosen?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    Noir, what do you want to do with your life? That is a big factor here.

I would ask you to consider the fact that 3 years is not that long. Could it be that you are not happy at university because you are in the wrong program? What educational path have you chosen?
    My desire is to work in politics, at either a local or national level. If I stay in the UK.

The course was law and politics, but I'm not an academic, and never have been, and the politics that I love, is not sitting in a room with a bunch of boffins talking about the pros and cons of tyrannies

The best bit about my year at Uni was the week I took off, to work as a volunteer for a local prospective MP, 6am to Midnight working days, going door to door, talkin to people, and learning of their concerns (many of which surprised me) for example the community police service (basically police without police powers!) which I always saw as a watse of money are really quiet valued in poor areas, changing my thoughts on them totally.

If I could go full time into the party machine tomorrow on minimum wage I would, but it will likely only be after allot more volunteering and getting my face/name known with the right people.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

just what the world needs....another uneducated politician.......given the fact you're a liberal, you ought to fit right in.......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    just what the world needs....another uneducated politician.......given the fact you're a liberal, you ought to fit right in.......
    An I thought I'd seen ignorant posts before, then you post this ......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    My desire is to work in politics, at either a local or national level. If I stay in the UK.

The course was law and politics, but I'm not an academic, and never have been, and the politics that I love, is not sitting in a room with a bunch of boffins talking about the pros and cons of tyrannies

The best bit about my year at Uni was the week I took off, to work as a volunteer for a local prospective MP, 6am to Midnight working days, going door to door, talkin to people, and learning of their concerns (many of which surprised me) for example the community police service (basically police without police powers!) which I always saw as a watse of money are really quiet valued in poor areas, changing my thoughts on them totally.

If I could go full time into the party machine tomorrow on minimum wage I would, but it will likely only be after allot more volunteering and getting my face/name known with the right people.
    My two bits for what it's worth ......

Politic's, you'll be swimming with sharks so as the saying goes "Don't quit your day job". What ever you passion is continue it but always insure you have your "bread and butter" that allows you to pursue your passion. Then "if" your passion takes off you can then do it full time.

In regards to University, I hear you about the debt. The debt that people accumulate and hanging over their head for a long time is insane. I never went to Collage and I'm in a field where my peers most have advanced degree's. It's been tougher to get through HR and into an interview but once I get past those idiots I do well.

Bottom line is it's tougher to get seen without a degree on your CV, but if you know your stuff you'll do better IMO than those with degree's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I don't know about the UK, but here you are not going far in politics without a BA/BS at least. Law degree is most common.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Oh stay on my arm hour little charmer ^__^
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I don't know about the UK, but here you are not going far in politics without a BA/BS at least. Law degree is most common.
    Yeah, that's because the US system is messed up something shocking. Not so much with the needed degree, but in the 'who you know' feild. I do have an 'in' with the Kennedy Family, but that would really be a last resort as I despise their politics. (specifically with regards to their support of Irish Terrorists.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You really have a great opportunity that others may not get, my advice would be to stay in shool. If you plan to come to the US and do not have any intention of getting a college education you are simply going to make things difficult for yourself.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

As if to underline my point, was working lastnight and while on a break I started talking to this random girl who was waitin on her friends, they were all out because it was going to be their last Saturday in Bangor before tgey all spilt up and went to Uni, except for the girl I was talkin to, she said that l her friends thought her stupid but that she'd decided not too look for a Uni place during her last year in school, but rather looked for a job, and she starts it in two weeks, Human Resources at the BBC, starting pay £17,000.

Now I know nothing about her, but if she's a good worker in three/four years time she'll be leaps and bounds beyond all her friends that are going to uni, well settled in a good job and debt free.

THATS what I should of been doing two years ago, well played to her for seeing it when I couldn't.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-05-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh stay on my arm hour little charmer ^__^
    did you just assume none of us would be on your mother's side of the argument?.......
    ...full immersion.....

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

did you just assume none of us would be on your mother's side of the argument?.......
    No, infact I assumed the opposite.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Noir, it seems to me that you are intent upon limiting your potential here because you are not willing to go through a short term bit of discomfort. I wish I could convince you to rethink what appears to be a hasty and short sighted decision.

Are you interested in trade school if University is not even a consideration for you?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    Noir, it seems to me that you are intent upon limiting your potential here because you are not willing to go through a short term bit of discomfort. I wish I could convince you to rethink what appears to be a hasty and short sighted decision.

Are you interested in trade school if University is not even a consideration for you?
    I can't assure you nothing about this is hastey, it's been years in the making. Infact the fact that I've been so slow to act upon it has likey worked against me.

And, if by trade school you mean becoming a mechanic ect, then no, not only do I have no desire or experience within those fields, but they are also much more difficult to get into due to the EU Freedom of Movement directive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Now I know nothing about her, but if she's a good worker in three/four years time she'll be leaps and bounds beyond all her friends that are going to uni, well settled in a good job and debt free.

THATS what I should of been doing two years ago, well played to her for seeing it when I couldn't.
    I don't know about England, but in the US at some point she'd hit the ceiling and wouldn't be able to advance anymore without a degree.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Hubby can't go into administration without a masters degree for example (he has a bachelors), but he likes his position and there are no plans for more schooling.

I don't have a degree. I do have a good job that I enjoy (most of the time). Just be sure you understand the limitations, in your chosen field, that might crop up because of your lack of a degree.
    Last edited by Trigg; 09-06-2010 at 09:14 AM.