Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
This whole thing is just more victimhood crap, oh woe is me.

My family came here in 1685 from Italy but I wasn't here, I didn't do it and I don't care. Right or wrong, we came and we conquered, end of story.
I see. So if it's a matter of having "came and conquered," it no longer constitutes "genocide." Well, on that note, der Führer eroberten Länder für die deutsche Vaterland und Volk!

Quote Originally Posted by crin63 View Post
My wife's maternal side (grandparents) came straight off the reservation in the 1940's and made something of themselves instead of whining about how they were mistreated and crying in their beer.
Yea, Cherokee great-great grandmother and everything, I'm sure. Enthralling. Incidentally, isn't that last line sort of a pejorative ethnic stereotype there? Along the lines of "my wife's maternal side came straight off the plantation in the 1860's and made something of themselves instead of whining about how they were mistreated and crying in their fried chicken and watermelon."

Quote Originally Posted by revelarts View Post
It's interesting that we don't like to talk about the darker actions of the American past. And Don't want to claim any negative history. But when it comes things that were proud of the in the countrys past were quick to claim it as WE. "when WE won WWII" When "We went to the moon" "We are the greatest nation in the world." where we by implication attach our egos to the best of our collective history.
It seems to be a massive epidemic of cognitive dissonance, in that a person can say "I wasn't here, I didn't do it, and I don't care" in one sentence, and "we came and we conquered" in the next. Why not consistently reject the use of possessive pronouns for something that you lack ownership of or influence over?