Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Any good dehumidifiers out there?

I have a large in-ground basement. While it doesn't get damp, it does have an odor to it simply because it is an in-ground basement. I bought a dehumidifier a few years ago (an LG brand). It worked well for about 1 or 2 seasons then quit on me.

I searched for another brand on the internet, one that had a better track record than the LG brand. It turns out that many dehumidifiers quit after a year or two. I decided not to waste 100-200 dollars on something that would only last a few years.....

now my basement smells funny again.. I'm starting to reconsider getting a new dehumidifier...

does anyone have any suggestions as to which brand I should get?
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A friend of mine just bought one a week ago. I'll ask about it I know she did research. The only thing I know about it is it's very loud and fills a gallon container in 6 hrs.
    Last edited by Mr. P; 08-26-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    A friend of mine just bought one a week ago. I'll ask about it I know she did research. The only thing I know about it is it's very loud and fills a gallon container in 6 hrs.
    thanks!
    How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sorry Karl...Not much help here..It's a Kenmore elite. She says she couldn't find anything at most stores..I guess it's the end of season for them here. The major fault is how loud it is.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

We have a "Danby" that I bought a few years back. Sucker works like a charm, so long as I remember to get rid of the water when its full. Been powered on since the day I got it and still runs perfectly.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks Mr P and Jim

Mr P --- It seems that older is better when it comes to dehumidifiers. My g/f has a 25 year old Kenmore dehumidifier and it is still running.

Jim --- I've heard of Danby dehumidifiers and heard a lot of good things about them...

KM

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I bought a Danby the other day... we had a lot of rain last week and I got a little bit of water in the basement (for the first time in 4 years). Anyway, I started thinking that I really ought to get one... I shopped around and ordered a Danby from Home Depot...

it's been running since I got it Thursday... so far, no complaints... the humidity level in the basement went from nearly 60 percent down to a little over 40 percent in about 2 days.... and the basement is starting to smell noticeably better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Kept meaning to post this but I bought a Royal Sovereign from BestBuy? online last year, 60? pint model with built-in pump or can drain itself. So far so good but the pump got a lot noisier developing some sort of vibration over time so right now it drains to the floor drain (lucky for me).

Let us know how the Danby works in case this one craps out on me.

Oh yeah, about a 1000 SF basement.