Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Gun Control or...not

A friend posted this on another forum:

I was coming out of an autoparts store tonight, and walked into a hyped up meth addict with a gun hyjacking a womans van in the parking lot. He had pushed her to the ground...and she kept trying to get back in her van.....I just told her to get out and let him take the damn van....all the while with the gun pointed at my head. I guess she was upset cause her dog was in the van

This brings me to the "I wish I lived in Texas" part......I wish it was legal to carry a sidearm here....I sure would have liked to have had an option other than stand there and feel helpless. Although I'm sure that the result was probably the best thing....we are both still alive.
    MOST of the convo went well - but of COURSE there are a few ninnies:

adding a second weapon into a person's hands who is untrained to deal with these situations with unstable individuals makes it safer?
    common people walking around common places with guns seems to me to be a way to increase the danger for everyone anywhere.
    Hero's do what you did!

Had you had a gun, this wouldn't have been a hero story, it'd have been a tragic criminal murder, a crime gone wrong or an accidental shooting of innocent bystanders.

In most social situations, a gun is your least powerful tool
    My reply to the ninny above:

...except when a criminal is pointing one at your head. (shrug).
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...stlake08m.html
    I dunno, in this case the attacker was using his fists. Couldn't the victim have physically fought back without shooting him?
    Can you BELIEVE people? I mean...there were other replies like "shoot to wound!" or whatever.

Holy HELL - I get depressed when I come in contact with MORE and MORE dee-dee-dee-liberals or otherwise unwise folk in this country. The Country is getting WORSE and WORSE in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'.

It gets better:

Sad story, no man who genuinely values human life would want the life of another man on their hands...epically if it's only loosely justified like the above article. Empathy for others, including the mentally ill is what makes us human, and helps separate us from being criminals ourselves.

This story highlights the problem of a firearm...it solved one problem, but replaced it with several others, including one that will last the rest of the shooters life.

I dunno, in this case the attacker was using his fists. Couldn't the victim have physically fought back without shooting him?

Let me ask you - if you were getting your ass-kicked by a guy threatening to kill you, would you try the LEAST amount of force required, or would you want to stop the guy.

(shrug).

Shooting to 'wound' is stuff of the movies
    Get this:

If you're getting your ass kicked and you can handle a gun, at all, then you aren't in enough trouble to end someone's life.

The irony of firearms is that they make you into the people most people are trying to defend themselves from. This is a reality most people don't think through. Taking a life is no light matter.
    So that guy is saying this:

"IF, while getting your ass-kicked, you have the ability to reach for a gun, you aren't getting your ass kicked BAD ENOUGH to warrant USING a gun."

Wha? In other words, "The ONLY time you should use a gun to stop yourself from an attack is if you are being attacked with SUCH violence that you are UNABLE to reach for, and use a Gun." And to the last part - the part he calls "Irony" I put this:

Not even close. Firearms help you STOP the people from hurting you or your property. The difference between ME and my pistol, and the guy Dan encountered is CLEAR. I am a responsible citizen. I am not a criminal. Fundamental and clear-cut difference. All live has at least some value.
    The pecking order, IMO goes something like this. Bottom rung is "Plantlife"...then slightly above plantlife is "Islamic Terrorist". Above that is Saddam. Slightly above him is a Meth-addict pointing a gun at my friend Dan. Above the Meth heads are 'attacking animals.' More precious than them are 'general criminals.' Then "Non-attacking animals." Then "decent people."

Some lives are indeed worth more than others.

So I ask DP.com - Which very-well may be the LAST oasis of (mostly) common, rational, GOOD sense (never minding the few libs here )...

What do YOU think about Gun-Control? To me, it means not jerking the trigger and missing the target. It means 'hold your breath, and SQUEEZE - don't PULL - the trigger.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    ...stuff...
    I'm all for people having guns who deserve them, but I know there are many people who are too incompetent, too lazy, or too apathetic to be wielding firearms. In those cases, it does make the situation worse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What do YOU think about Gun-Control? To me, it means not jerking the trigger and missing the target. It means 'hold your breath, and SQUEEZE - don't PULL - the trigger.
    Here ya go.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The ClayTaurus View Post
    I'm all for people having guns who deserve them, but I know there are many people who are too incompetent, too lazy, or too apathetic to be wielding firearms. In those cases, it does make the situation worse.
    Same could be said of Motor Vehicle Drivers, eh?
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

A friend posted this on another forum:

MOST of the convo went well - but of COURSE there are a few ninnies:

My reply to the ninny above:

Can you BELIEVE people? I mean...there were other replies like "shoot to wound!" or whatever.

Holy HELL - I get depressed when I come in contact with MORE and MORE dee-dee-dee-liberals or otherwise unwise folk in this country. The Country is getting WORSE and WORSE in terms of 'right' and 'wrong'.

It gets better:

Get this:

So that guy is saying this:

"IF, while getting your ass-kicked, you have the ability to reach for a gun, you aren't getting your ass kicked BAD ENOUGH to warrant USING a gun."

Wha? In other words, "The ONLY time you should use a gun to stop yourself from an attack is if you are being attacked with SUCH violence that you are UNABLE to reach for, and use a Gun." And to the last part - the part he calls "Irony" I put this:

So I ask DP.com - Which very-well may be the LAST oasis of (mostly) common, rational, GOOD sense (never minding the few libs here )...

I control my gun pretty damned-good, thank you.

I'm also very well schooled in the art of maintaining, handling and using firearms.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I control my gun pretty damned-good, thank you.

I'm also very well schooled in the art of maintaining, handling and using firearms.
    Gawd how many push-ups does it take for a recruit to learn that "This is my weapon, this is my gun. This is for shooting and this is for fun"?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If a methhead pulled a gun on me, and if I was carrying concealed, and if I could pull my piece out and get off the first shot, then damn straight I'd do it. In fact, I'd empty the magazine if I felt my life was endangered, or if the methhead was endangering someone else's life.

However, in that situation, if I felt that I would be further endangering my life by pulling out my gun, then I might very well leave it holstered.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to the Second Amendment, being an American makes you 'deserving' of gun ownership. I would make very few exceptions (like being a convicted felon).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    According to the Second Amendment, being an American makes you 'deserving' of gun ownership. I would make very few exceptions (like being a convicted felon).
    In that particular situation, I'd have just shot the meth head dead, right through the grape, period.

Those two were fortunate he really did only want the van, and managed to stay focussed on it. All too often, that is not the case, and I would not have left it to chance.
    “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” Edumnd Burke

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Same could be said of Motor Vehicle Drivers, eh?
    Absolutely.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Absolutely.
    LMAO. I went this morning to TXDOT (Texas Dept of Transportation -- DMV in most places) to get my license replaced because my dog got hold of it. This old coot in front of me in line just stood there while several people walked past him. Someone from behind the counter finally motioned for him to come over. When he finally figured out she was talking to him, he walked to the person in the stall next to hers.

I'm like "You guys are even going to test this dude?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel that logic alone is irresponsible. To assume every American possesses the capacity to properly and safely own and operate a gun just by letting them have it because the 2nd Ammendment says so is wishful thinking. I think every American should be able to own a gun once they prove themselves worthy or the responsibility associated with the right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I feel that logic alone is irresponsible. To assume every American possesses the capacity to properly and safely own and operate a gun just by letting them have it because the 2nd Ammendment says so is wishful thinking. I think every American should be able to own a gun once they prove themselves worthy or the responsibility associated with the right.
    So you think a person has to earn the right of self-defense?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

It's not 'every' american. It's every legal Adult American Citizen. 18 (21 some places, for some weapons) and older.

I think every american should prove themselves worthy before VOTING, too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you think a person has to earn the right of self-defense?
    No. I think a person should PROVE their right to self-defense via a gun.