Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why men don't want to commit to steady relationships

The answer to this question is fairly simple, but it will probably surprise the hell out of you.

Most men don't want commitment because they can't afford it financially.

It's a simple fact of life, but nothing prevents the accumulation of money like a woman. Money spent on a woman is never an investment; it's an expense. A man who expects a financial return on that money is a fool.

Consider two hypothetical guys, Bob and Mark. They are roommates, both have just graduated from the same high school, and both have decided to wait a year before deciding whether to go to college. They both have jobs in the same electronics store, where they each make the same salary and each have $350 per month left over after paying all their bills.

There's where the similarity ends. Bob gets a girlfriend; Mark does not. Over the next year, Bob spends 20 hours a week and $350 a month on his girlfriend. Mark decides to take 20 hours a week and $350 a month and put it into a part-time business.

After that year, Bob's girlfriend dumps him, because she thinks he's a loser in a dead-end job with no ambition. Meanwhile Mark has been able to grow his business to a point where he can quit his electronics store job and make $90,000 per year working only 30 hours a week (because Mark's employees do most of the work). Who do you think Bob's girlfriend is seeing now? Yup, it's Mark.

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. After their first trip to Europe, Mark becomes a Bob. He focuses most of his attention on his girlfriend, taking her on extravagant trips around the world. After a year, she leaves him for a guy she met in Aspen (a trip Mark paid for), telling Mark that somewhere he lost that entrepreneurial passion that attracted her to him in the first place. Naturally, Mark gets very depressed and loses what little interest he had left in his business. His money is spent, his passion is gone, and without the passion, he will never make the money back. He sees himself as just another failed entrepreneur getting a 2-year late start into college. This is a very common story of the "loser who could have been a multimillionaire."

How is a man to deal with this? The key is to find a female friend (not a girlfriend) who
    1. Doesn't need money from you to pay for a lifestyle she wants but can't afford on her own,
    2. Doesn't need to be somebody's wife or girlfriend to feel like she has stability and self-worth, and
    3. Doesn't use you like an emotional dumpster every time she expects you to fix a problem.

Women like these are not common, but they're well worth holding out for.
    All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

men don't want to commit to steady relationships

The men who are married (and that's a whole lot of them) might dispute this with you.

If they don't just ignore you.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Well. That's a load of rubbish xD

Probably the 'richest' time of my life was when I lived with my last GF, we both worked hard and got plenty out of it, loads of hoidays, spending sprees ect and when we split we had a couple of hundred pound each in a bank account that we split, it's so much cheaper to live for two that it is one.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why won't men commit?

Simple -

Divorce and Child Support Laws
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

"Penguins mate for life. That makes sense. It's not like the guy will ever find a better-looking penguin."

I make what I make BECAUSE of my wife. She's an enabler for me. She enables me to focus on work. Now I make more than Mark AND....AND I have somebody to SHARE my life with.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Well. That's a load of rubbish xD

Probably the 'richest' time of my life was when I lived with my last GF, we both worked hard and got plenty out of it, loads of hoidays, spending sprees ect and when we split we had a couple of hundred pound each in a bank account that we split, it's so much cheaper to live for two that it is one.
    I'm not saying that you can't spend time together with a female friend and (if you're both so inclined) have lots of sex. Both of the above activities are all well and good.

I'm just saying that it's a mistake to get into a "serious" relationship until you have a secure financial position.
    All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palin Rider View Post
    I'm not saying that you can't spend time together with a female friend and (if you're both so inclined) have lots of sex. Both of the above activities are all well and good.

I'm just saying that it's a mistake to get into a "serious" relationship until you have a secure financial position.

I know what you said, and it's total tosh. Kthanks.

Edit- Also, the idea that you don't want to be 'serious' with someone, but you would want to have sex is personally sickening, but however you want to live your life.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-14-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    men don't want to commit to steady relationships

The men who are married (and that's a whole lot of them) might dispute this with you.
    The ones who are happy with their marriages might. Aren't they an endangered species?
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's called put your assets into a trust, then "if" you do get married your major assets like home, investments, etc. are protected. You also further protect yourself with a prenuptial agreement, but those have been challenged and have been broken depending on how good of a lawyer is hired. Trusts really are the only way to go to protect yourself
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    It's called put your assets into a trust, then "if" you do get married your major assets like home, investments, etc. are protected. You also further protect yourself with a prenuptial agreement, but those have been challenged and have been broken depending on how good of a lawyer is hired. Trusts really are the only way to go to protect yourself
    That's an excellent way to do it.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Or...focus more on loving your wife than making dollars.

Most folks I know love very very very selfishly.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Or...focus more on loving your wife than making dollars.

Most folks I know love very very very selfishly.
    Really, well some call it facing reality and not getting screwed by the system and loosing everything they have then have to continue paying for decades to come
    Divorce rate -
    According to enrichment journal on the divorce rate in America:
    The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
    The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
    The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

Code:
                            Women    Men
    Under 20 years old	27.6%	11.7%
    20 to 24 years old	36.6%	38.8%
    25 to 29 years old	16.4%	22.3%
    30 to 34 years old	8.5%  	11.6%
    35 to 39 years old	5.1%	 6.5%
    Last edited by Pagan; 09-14-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think men or women are forced to commit nowadays anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    I don't think men or women are forced to commit nowadays anyway so it shouldn't be a problem.
    I say it's a society raised on Disney Fairytale's with a meet someone, fall in love and live happily ever after. Marriage and relationships are work, but it's work that one loves. Then there's the court system that still to this day screws over the male to an obscene level. I was once married, been single now for about 15 years now and I very highly doubt I'll ever marry
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The ones who are happy with their marriages might. Aren't they an endangered species?
    I keep forgetting.

Some people believe that, if it's not on the front page, or on Oprah, it doesn't exist.

The idea that such men might actually be the majority, is incomprehensible to them.

My sympathies.

--------------------------------------

P.S. The ones who are unhappy in their marriages, still made the commitment too.
    "The social contract exists so that everyone doesn’t have to squat in the dust holding a spear to protect his woman and his meat all day every day. It does not exist so that the government can take your spear, your meat, and your woman because it knows better what to do with them." - Instapundit.com