Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palin Rider View Post
    Since when did a handful of people someone knows become a statistically representative sample?
    Around the same time you wrote an OP that included a hypothetical reality which was sublimely ridiculous.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Around the same time you wrote an OP that included a hypothetical reality which was sublimely ridiculous.
    Disagreeing with a hypothetical scenario is still no excuse for BS.
    All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Disagreeing with a hypothetical scenario is still no excuse for BS.
    So someones personal life experiences are BS and your totally made up hypothetical story isn't?
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    So someones personal life experiences are BS and your totally made up hypothetical story isn't?
    Not quite: what's BS is to say "4 out of 5 people I know are happy, therefore 4 out of 5 people in the US/UK/world must be happy." (It's what statisticians call an "invalid sample.")

Got it?
    All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Not quite: what's BS is to say "4 out of 5 people I know are happy, therefore 4 out of 5 people in the US/UK/world must be happy." (It's what statisticians call an "invalid sample.")

Got it?
    Yep.
    And that's, er, nothing to do with what we were talking about.
    But whatever, I'm tired of this ping-pong, you either know what I was saying and won't admit it, or just can't see how silly you calling someone else out for BS is after that OP. Either way this is going nowhere fast. Laters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey View Post
    Ahem:
    My marriage- almost 21 years
    My parents- 53, and would be longer if my mom hadn't passed
    My in laws- 52, also stopped only by a death
    Brother #1- 30 years
    Brother #2- 28 years
    BIL #1- 27 years
    BIL#2- 7 years
    Best friend- 25 years
    Other good friend- 21 years
    Other good friend- 19 years

All of these are 1st marriages, and from what I can see, happy.
    All i have to say is this, marriage is a commetment. when you stand on the alter, do you say
    "Till you start to have problems."

Or is it more like
    "Till death due you part"

When did the meaning change? did english suddenly start to switch definitions?

If you ask me, people should be more like the above quote and stay together. You made your promise, if you don't like the person anymore, to bad. Make sure to tell your kids to be absolutally certain that they love the person they're about to marry.

Yeah, they're gonna have problems, they'll also yell at eachother, but they're also gonna be able to share some of the happiest moments together.

And just to get it back on topic. Yes, girls cost ALOT. Expecially if your only dating them. Trust me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Got it?

Alright, and where's your valid sample? Your OP? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    All i have to say is this, marriage is a commetment. when you stand on the alter, do you say
    "Till you start to have problems."

Or is it more like
    "Till death due you part"

When did the meaning change? did english suddenly start to switch definitions?

If you ask me, people should be more like the above quote and stay together. You made your promise, if you don't like the person anymore, to bad. Make sure to tell your kids to be absolutally certain that they love the person they're about to marry.

Yeah, they're gonna have problems, they'll also yell at eachother, but they're also gonna be able to share some of the happiest moments together.

And just to get it back on topic. Yes, girls cost ALOT. Expecially if your only dating them. Trust me.
    I liked how they said it in License to Wed, when the parents are talking about their marriage to their daughter. They admit that their marriage is happy, but they've had hard times, and even state that years 17-18 were like something out of the Exorcist.

The big problem is not marriage, but the perception of what marriage is like.
    "Government screws up everything. If government says black, you can bet it's white. If government says sit still for your safety, you'd better run for your life!"
    --Wayne Allyn Root
    www.rootforamerica.com
    www.FairTax.org

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Got it?
    however, your statistics show that 59% of marriages don't end in divorce......that means we aren't as much of a rarity as you'd have us think.......not only that, but 40% of the folks who got it wrong the first time get it right the second.......
    Last edited by PostmodernProphet; 09-20-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    however, your statistics show that 59% of marriages don't end in divorce......that means we aren't as much of a rarity as you'd have us think.......not only that, but 40% of the folks who got it wrong the first time get it right the second.......
    I pointed that out on the 2nd page, lets see if he acknowledges it this time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStryk72 View Post
    Alright, and where's your valid sample? Your OP? I think not.
    I didn't need a sample, because I never made a statistical claim.

Quote Originally Posted by PMP
    however, your statistics show that 59% of marriages don't end in divorce..
    Those were Pagan's statistics, not mine.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I didn't need a sample, because I never made a statistical claim.

I got those figures of of this website -
    http://www.divorcerate.org/

But the "official" rate is 49% according to the CDC

Marriage rate: 7.1 per 1,000 total population
    Divorce rate: 3.5 per 1,000 population (44 reporting States and D.C.)

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    I pointed that out on the 2nd page, lets see if he acknowledges it this time.
    nope......
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

sorry....you're hard to tell apart....
    ...full immersion.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    sorry....you're hard to tell apart....
    No worries, avatar4321.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

The answer to this question is fairly simple, but it will probably surprise the hell out of you.

Most men don't want commitment because they can't afford it financially.

It's a simple fact of life, but nothing prevents the accumulation of money like a woman. Money spent on a woman is never an investment; it's an expense. A man who expects a financial return on that money is a fool.

Consider two hypothetical guys, Bob and Mark. They are roommates, both have just graduated from the same high school, and both have decided to wait a year before deciding whether to go to college. They both have jobs in the same electronics store, where they each make the same salary and each have $350 per month left over after paying all their bills.

There's where the similarity ends. Bob gets a girlfriend; Mark does not. Over the next year, Bob spends 20 hours a week and $350 a month on his girlfriend. Mark decides to take 20 hours a week and $350 a month and put it into a part-time business.

After that year, Bob's girlfriend dumps him, because she thinks he's a loser in a dead-end job with no ambition. Meanwhile Mark has been able to grow his business to a point where he can quit his electronics store job and make $90,000 per year working only 30 hours a week (because Mark's employees do most of the work). Who do you think Bob's girlfriend is seeing now? Yup, it's Mark.

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. After their first trip to Europe, Mark becomes a Bob. He focuses most of his attention on his girlfriend, taking her on extravagant trips around the world. After a year, she leaves him for a guy she met in Aspen (a trip Mark paid for), telling Mark that somewhere he lost that entrepreneurial passion that attracted her to him in the first place. Naturally, Mark gets very depressed and loses what little interest he had left in his business. His money is spent, his passion is gone, and without the passion, he will never make the money back. He sees himself as just another failed entrepreneur getting a 2-year late start into college. This is a very common story of the "loser who could have been a multimillionaire."

How is a man to deal with this? The key is to find a female friend (not a girlfriend) who
    1. Doesn't need money from you to pay for a lifestyle she wants but can't afford on her own,
    2. Doesn't need to be somebody's wife or girlfriend to feel like she has stability and self-worth, and
    3. Doesn't use you like an emotional dumpster every time she expects you to fix a problem.

Women like these are not common, but they're well worth holding out for.
    "Most men don't want commitment because they can't afford it financially. "?

So where exactly did you get this? Did you just make it up?
    I think mine is a bit simpler.

Because men are sometimes selfish dogs and don't want the responsibility even if they can afford it.

Imagine that your rich and have a neighbor that owns a cow and you can invite the cow over and get free milk anytime you want. Why would you buy the cow?

(Sorry ladies for the cow analogy)

Sometimes it just plain idea of being "tied down" to 1 woman seems stifling.

Um what about she's got 3 kids, that stopped me from continuing to date one girl. That was to much for me.
    Last edited by revelarts; 09-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16