Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Default Is the iRAQ WAR over now?

I heard a couple people say it it is but there are like 50,000 U.S./coalition troops there and I think 6 U.S Bases.
    When we left Viet Nam did we leave 50,00 troops left in country getting blown up or assisting the commie gov't?

What kind of Double Speak is Obama and the Media doing here.
    "the Iraq war is over, We've pulled out our last combat units, God bless our fighting men on the ground."

This is REALLY twilight zone or American Pravda i don't know what to call it. but it's pretty scary.

My daughter asked me if the war in Iraq was over. I told her No.
    A while later she said "mommy said the war is over , she saw it on T.V.."
    it was time for a family meeting.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

The 'war' is over as there will be no more combat operations, but troops are still there, in the same way troops are still based on the N Korea S Korea boarder, (though for a differnt reason) you would not say that the war there is still going on.

Edit- From looking about there seem to be about 28,000 troops based in Korea atm.
    Last edited by Noir; 09-15-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Guardian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...t-troops-leave

..."There is unlikely to be much change on the ground in the country after the end of the month, as most US military units actually began switching their focus to training and assisting Iraqi troops and police more than a year ago, when they pulled out of Iraqi urban centres on 30 June 2009.
    There was a war this past year so if " there is unlikely to be much change" then I can only assume they'll still be fighting and dying or "Assisting" and dying.
    ..."Those that remain are conventional combat brigades reconfigured slightly and rebranded 'advise and assist brigades'," said the Washington Post. "The primary mission of those units and the roughly 4,500 US special operations forces that will stay behind will be to train Iraqi troops."

However despite the 56,000 service personnel remaining, The New York Times reported this morning that a "remarkable civilian effort" would be required to fill the void left by the withdrawal, and suggested the number of private security guards could double in the country over the next 18 months...."
    Not quite like N Korea, that's been pretty cold war. and as you mentioned much less troops. Obama says he's going to pull all of them out eventually maybe next year. we'll see. Until then, as long as congressmen spend money on bullets and jet fuel and visitors still have to walk around with bullet proof vest on and can't safely leave protected zones I'm calling it a war my friend.
    It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties. The freeman of America did not wait till usurped power had strengthened itself by exercise, and entangled the question in precedents. James Madison
    Live as free people, yet without employing your freedom as a pretext for wickedness; but live at all times as servants of God.
    1 Peter 2:16

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    The 'war' is over as there will be no more combat operations, but troops are still there, in the same way troops are still based on the N Korea S Korea boarder, (though for a differnt reason) you would not say that the war there is still going on.

Edit- From looking about there seem to be about 28,000 troops based in Korea atm.
    The Korean war never ended, just a cease fire.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    The Korean war never ended, just a cease fire.
    I know, but you would not say you are at war with N Korea,
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Technically the un is still at war with n. korea. The shooting can resume any time either side decides to start it. The invasion of iraq was the result of saddam not living up to his cease fire agreements. There were no treaties signed by either side.

The troops in iraq are not designated as combat troops. Don't let the designation fool ya. It's the usual renaming of things that the libs love to do. Our troops won't venture out on operations any more, but they will assist the iraqi army. And they will probably step in and take over on really tough jobs. Bases will remain there as it's an excellent jumping off point if we need to confront an enemy in the area (think iran here). Until iraq is subdued it will always be a war zone and since they don't have a strong central government right now that will take a long time.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.