Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, as much as it hurts they have to hit bottom then decide for themselves that they have to get their shit together. Just be there when they are ready to pull themselves back up.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)

I had a close relative who was a (high functioning if that makes sense?) alcoholic. He quit cold turkey and stayed that way until he died years later.
    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Author unknown

“Unfortunately, the truth is now whatever the media say it is”
    -Abbey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Addictions .. the big three - smoking, drugs and alcohol.

Pretty much everyone in my family was/is addicted to smoking and alcohol. My parents, grandparents and siblings. All my siblings have done the drug scene and their children have done the drug scene .... and I'm not talking about "casual use". I'm talking the kind where you end up in prison. As of last October I believe that my siblings are all now drug free because my youngest sister quit (but had to get clean in jail).

The other sister had a severe car accident that killed her husband (also a user) and she had a brain injury that caused her to "forget" that she was a drug addict. I have one brother in prison ... and he's just has access to cigs, so he's alcohol and drug free.

I have never put a cigarette in my mouth (not even playacting); I have never used drugs (not even experimented with them because I know I am predisposed genetically to be an addict); and I rarely drink.

Neither of my husbands were/are addicts (unless adrenelin is a drug) and none of the kids I raised are addicted to anything.

Now ... on to lesser addictions...I will admit that I'm addicted to Snicker's and M&M's.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Yeah, not deadly serious ones, but like my last gf was hooked on smoking and weed, though for the two years we were together she never smoked one cig or got stoned once (or for that matter, drunk) and she (and her parents) could never thank me enough fir that, but she started again with cigs almost the day we broke up (I'm guessing as a 'im my own person now' kinda sign) and nowadays her facbook is filled with drunken&stonned night-before stories, pretty pathetic really =/
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.