Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I'm renovating a house myself

Any good advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Hagbard Celine; 05-08-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are you really renovating solo?

What kinda house? How deep is the renovation?

Building materials are outta sight anymore, it is friggin nutz.

Fortunately Home depot is still dirt cheap for everything else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
    are you really renovating solo?

What kinda house? How deep is the renovation?

Building materials are outta sight anymore, it is friggin nutz.

Fortunately Home depot is still dirt cheap for everything else.
    Yep, I'm renovating solo. I bought the house right out of college both as an investment property and out of a need to make my work commute shorter.

It's a 1957 ranch-style house with a full basement. I'm about 45 percent through the renovation--been in the house since last September.

I'm only about $2000 into the renovations. I'm using Lowes instead of Home Depot because I don't have a Home Depot in my area.

Here's a link to my progress. I've got a little slide show and a blog. http://www.myspace.com/lukeprater
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like you're in need of some more outlets.

Screw in fuses or circuit breakers?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Looks like you're in need of some more outlets.

Screw in fuses or circuit breakers?
    I've got circuit breakers. I've already added one when I installed the fridge outlet in the kitchen, ran a line for the dishwasher and ran a new line for my stove.

I am planning to run phone lines, install a bathroom fan and install another ceiling fan in the den (currently there is not lightsource in that room) I may also want to install some new lightswitches in the den. The ones that are there are not adequate--well, I'll have to add new ones if I install another ceiling fan.

The first thing I did when I moved in was clean-out all my outlet and switch boxes and replace the units with new ones. I found a dead mouse in one of my outlet boxes. They were all dirty as hell. I had to whip-out the shop vac.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard Celine View Post
    Yep, I'm renovating solo. I bought the house right out of college both as an investment property and out of a need to make my work commute shorter.

It's a 1957 ranch-style house with a full basement. I'm about 45 percent through the renovation--been in the house since last September.

I'm only about $2000 into the renovations. I'm using Lowes instead of Home Depot because I don't have a Home Depot in my area.

Here's a link to my progress. I've got a little slide show and a blog. http://www.myspace.com/lukeprater

EXCELLENT work from what I can see Hag!!! Good job!

Did you seal or coat the floors or just stain?
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got circuit breakers. I've already added one when I installed the fridge outlet in the kitchen, ran a line for the dishwasher and ran a new line for my stove.

I am planning to run phone lines, install a bathroom fan and install another ceiling fan in the den (currently there is not lightsource in that room) I may also want to install some new lightswitches in the den. The ones that are there are not adequate--well, I'll have to add new ones if I install another ceiling fan.

The first thing I did when I moved in was clean-out all my outlet and switch boxes and replace the units with new ones. I found a dead mouse in one of my outlet boxes. They were all dirty as hell. I had to whip-out the shop vac.

The line you ran for your fridge should have been at least a twelve gage wire on a twenty amp breaker, and if your stove is electric, I assume it's 220 vac. That probably should have been on like a 6/3 on a double 40 amp breaker. Both circuits should be dedicated.

Sounds like your working your ass off, but if you're like me, I enjoy that kind of stuff. I used to own my own business called "The House Doctor". I subcontracted out as an electrician quite a bit too. It's rewarding work. Think of the equity your building in your house.

Great job.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 05-10-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post

EXCELLENT work from what I can see Hag!!! Good job!

Did you seal or coat the floors or just stain?
    I used the Olympic brand two-in-one stain/sealant protectant.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The line you ran for your fridge should have been at least a twelve gage wire on a twenty amp breaker, and if your stove is electric, I assume it's 220 vac. That probably should have been on like a 6/3 on a double 40 amp breaker. Both circuits should be dedicated.

Sounds like your working your ass off, but if you're like me, I enjoy that kind of stuff. I used to own my own business called "The House Doctor". I subcontracted out as an electrician quite a bit too. It's rewarding work. Think of the equity your building in your house.

Great job.
    I used 220-guage cord for my stove and it works great. I cooked delicious pasta on it night before last. I used regular cord for the dishwasher, the same I used for my fridge. I do love working with my hands. I've done everything on this house so far with the exception of the Central heating and air, which I subcontracted out to a client of my dad's. He gave me a good deal on a "used" unit that had been installed in a house that was too big for it. I also do my own car work. I recently did a brake job on my bimmer and saved myself about $600. Self sufficiency is very rewarding stuff and I'm having a ball learning all the stuff for the house.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, I am VERY impressed. Then, you didn't know my ex. Hammer and nails was too hard.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used 220-guage cord for my stove and it works great. I cooked delicious pasta on it night before last. I used regular cord for the dishwasher, the same I used for my fridge. I do love working with my hands. I've done everything on this house so far with the exception of the Central heating and air, which I subcontracted out to a client of my dad's. He gave me a good deal on a "used" unit that had been installed in a house that was too big for it. I also do my own car work. I recently did a brake job on my bimmer and saved myself about $600. Self sufficiency is very rewarding stuff and I'm having a ball learning all the stuff for the house.

See now... I have new respect for you, and I hope that in future we can even disagree with this same amount of restraint.

And if you ever have any questions about home improvement, construction, vehicle repair, I'm a treasure trove of information. Don't be afraid to ask.

I took a University of Wisconsin extension course in Auto Engine Mechanics, a sixteen week course in four and got an A-. I later went to Madison Area Technical College and got a degree in Auto Mechanics. Four years ago I completed Motorcycle Mechanics Institute course in Harley Davidson and got every award for excelence the school offers. I've wrenched, fixed and built stuff all my life. You're right. It's fun and rewarding, and I know my shit when it comes to mechanics...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Any good advice is welcome.
    Develop a budget and when your wife/ girlfriend wants to "upgrade" everything show it to her and ask here where the cash is coming from.

Oh- and get a permit before you do anything. When you sell it that issue will be on the disclosure form. Be nicy nice with the inspectors and they might give you some tips (maybe not).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

See now... I have new respect for you, and I hope that in future we can even disagree with this same amount of restraint.

And if you ever have any questions about home improvement, construction, vehicle repair, I'm a treasure trove of information. Don't be afraid to ask.

I took a University of Wisconsin extension course in Auto Engine Mechanics, a sixteen week course in four and got an A-. I later went to Madison Area Technical College and got a degree in Auto Mechanics. Four years ago I completed Motorcycle Mechanics Institute course in Harley Davidson and got every award for excelence the school offers. I've wrenched, fixed and built stuff all my life. You're right. It's fun and rewarding, and I know my shit when it comes to mechanics...
    Let's talk auto a/c..
    I have a problem..I think it's a presure switch. The compresser will not kick on until 21-2200 rpm below that no go. What do you think?

Above the Best

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P View Post
    Let's talk auto a/c..
    I have a problem..I think it's a presure switch. The compresser will not kick on until 21-2200 rpm below that no go. What do you think?
    Drive around in 2nd gear.

Just kidding- its probably the automatic clutch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmail View Post
    Drive around in 2nd gear.

Just kidding- its probably the automatic clutch.
    The compressor clutch? Don't say that!

Above the Best