Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do you have Mentally Ill people in your family?

Oh yeah and Sweet chuck will provide the definition of mentally ill later in the thread cuz he's sweet

let's explore the crazies.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Definition of Mental illness is rather up for debate
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Definition of Mental illness is rather up for debate
    but I am not good at debating, I only like exploring, can you debate for me, you could insert ----> ( I am debating chloe's point) you might even be able to claim it on your taxes as a deduction helping the handicapped

I hope that's not a crazy idea....wink

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes, yes I do.

More than a couple. Blood family as well as extended family.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hjmick View Post
    Yes, yes I do.

More than a couple. Blood family as well as extended family.

So you probably have superior skills in dodging controversies, well family drama trains us and when you have loonies in the house you got to be sharp and quick on your toes to respond, unless you break down and join them.

so is it depression, manic depression, schizophrenia, paranoid, psychopath, sociopath, all of them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    So you probably have superior skills in dodging controversies, well family drama trains us and when you have loonies in the house you got to be sharp and quick on your toes to respond, unless you break down and join them.

so is it depression, manic depression, schizophrenia, paranoid, psychopath, sociopath, all of them?
    Well, my wife is bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, occasionally agoraphobic (a few years back she could only leave the house to go to work), and has PTSD due to certain events in her life. Her daughter is bi-polar and probably a sociopath. She's serving a three years stint at Chowchilla for various drug offenses. My dad was OCD, my sister suffers from depression as does my mom. Both of my sisters in-law suffer from depression and are, to the best of my knowledge, bi-polar in varying degrees and, like my wife and for the same reasons, suffer from PTSD.

And this just scratches the surface...

I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a crazy gene...

Oh, in regards to your alcoholic thread, more than a couple folks mentioned above are or were alcoholics.
    Last edited by hjmick; 09-21-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Depression seems to run in the family, every few years another auntie/uncle/cousin is diagnosed.
    And I once stumbled across court papers about my mum being institutionalized, though I've never asked about it so idk why it was.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, my wife is bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, occasionally agoraphobic (a few years back she could only leave the house to go to work), and has PTSD due to certain events in her life. Her daughter is bi-polar and probably a sociopath. She's serving a three years stint at Chowchilla for various drug offenses. My dad was OCD, my sister suffers from depression as does my mom. Both of my sisters in-law suffer from depression and are, to the best of my knowledge, bi-polar in varying degrees and, like my wife and for the same reasons, suffer from PTSD.

And this just scratches the surface...

I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a crazy gene...
    Damn you must be completely drained, it's interesting so did you feel quite neglected growing up, I mean depression tends to shut people down and so its possible your childhood needs weren't met by family. Then later in life you repeated the cycle do you get neglected in the marriage because its about the illness all the time so your needs are secondary or does she take treatment so things are pretty good?

My dad is clinically and possibly criminally insane. I had a very strange childhood as well, he was like charles manson. he has a Psychopath mind.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Perspective Check

Think about this

If Tesla or Einstein were going up today they'd both diagnosed as having a "Chemical Imbalance" and be chemically lobotomized with drugs.

The definition of sanity is very much subject for debate.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Damn you must be completely drained, it's interesting so did you feel quite neglected growing up, I mean depression tends to shut people down and so its possible your childhood needs weren't met by family. Then later in life you repeated the cycle do you get neglected in the marriage because its about the illness all the time so your needs are secondary or does she take treatment so things are pretty good?

My dad is clinically and possibly criminally insane. I had a very strange childhood as well, he was like charles manson. he has a Psychopath mind.
    No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Depression seems to run in the family, every few years another auntie/uncle/cousin is diagnosed.
    And I once stumbled across court papers about my mum being institutionalized, though I've never asked about it so idk why it was.
    depression is a quiet type of mental illness in my opinion and it can make tohers around feel so neglected or isolated. Did you ever feel left out or was it different since it was not a direct parent?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, never felt neglected. My dad's OCD manifested itself in his book collection and my mom's depression didn't really kick in until I was an adult. I'm sure it was there in my youth to some degree, but she was a working mom so I didn't notice.
    That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Think about this

If Tesla or Einstein were going up today they'd both diagnosed as having a "Chemical Imbalance" and be chemically lobotomized with drugs.

The definition of sanity is very much subject for debate.
    He's a monster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

That's good, and you seem happy all the time online so I assume with the wife and step daughter that its handled as healthy as those things can be.

Do you have brothers or sisters or an only child>?
    Wife has it pretty much under control, though her shrink has been dicking around with her meds so some days are better than others, but most are good. Better living through chemistry! As I stated, her daughter is doing time, she is untreated and continues to make wrong choices. We did all we could for her until she turned 18, then she split and there was nothing we could do.

I have sister, derpressed and a drinker.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

depression is a quiet type of mental illness in my opinion and it can make tohers around feel so neglected or isolated. Did you ever feel left out or was it different since it was not a direct parent?
    Nope. I don't want this to sound harsh but I don't dwell much on others lives, their life will only affect my life if I let them, imo, and I'm not much in favor of that.
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.