Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Default Excited - cuz I'm a dreamer

Today I applied for a job in Alaska - thanks NT for your pics.

Won't know for some time - but it's a promotion, 3 year assignment w/ return rights back here to MI.

Hopefully the adventure happens!
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Won't know for some time - but it's a promotion, 3 year assignment w/ return rights back here to MI.

Well, you will definitely get your request for snow!!! Good luck!
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Careful, that's awfully close to Russia ya know, I hear you can see it from your window on a clear day ;D
    If you also agree that an animals suffering should be avoided rather than encouraged, consider what steps you can take.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

actually...would see stuff like THIS on a clear day...

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I love Alaska.
    "I am allergic to piety, it makes me break out in rash judgements." - Penn Jillette
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with a lot of pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered." - Robert G. Ingersoll

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post

Best of luck! Keep dreaming, that's where things happen.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

By chance would you be interested in an unused Winchester 70 xtr 7mm mag. It was my dad's who was heading for Alaska, unfortunately he passed away before he could get there. I'm thinking of selling it. Just thinking.
    UNITED STATES ARMY AVIATION

Above the Best

Why the Hell should I have to press “1” for ENGLISH?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Hey, cool, DMP!

Where to? Ft. Rich or Ft. Wainwright?

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Greely. Otherwise known as BFE.

Mr.P - no, not particularly...thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Ft. Greely. Yep, been there & done that.

It's right outside of Delta Junction, it's one of the Missile Defense sites now.

Well, if you can.... change your deployment to Ft. Rich. I don't care for the Greely part of AK, lots of tundra, scrubby trees and "holy SHIT it's cold!" kind of weather.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Not a deployment, NT - a job. Am army Civilian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Oh, gotcha.

Last time I was there was last winter in mid Feb. My co-worker and I finished up our job in Delta at 5:00 on a Friday, gassed up the big Chevy 502 pickup we were in by 5:30 and hit the road. I drove the whole way on those icy, snowy, moose-filled highways and we rolled in Wasilla at 11:00 sharp. That would have been a great timeframe in the middle of summer with dry roads.

My co-worker, however, refuses to ride with me anymore when I get that "I gotta get home" look. Last time in Homer, she stayed the night at a hotel instead of riding back to the valley with me.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I love stuff like that - Thought about the fun I can have in my Subaru up there..the extreme driving...Love it.

Well, I won't know for weeks if I'll even make a list to get an interview, so it's still a pipe dream - but for a 3 year tour, the promotion, and the adventure of it - I'd jump in it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Being from MI, I assume you know already about winterizing your rig for extreme cold - you will see minus 50 or lower out there.

If you get the job, it won't be too far to come down and go up to the cabin with us on our adventures there... it's about 300 - 350 miles north of Wasilla to Greely.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I'm actually 'from' seattle area...been in MI a year. But...I laugh at cold. Until i turn blue. I'm good with it. If I get the job, I'd pay to get my wife's truck (F150 SuperCrew 4x4) and my Subaru winterized. Would sell or store my mazda.

Whatsit take around Greely to not-live-poor? cost of living up there terribly high? I'd get a lower base pay, then 21% on top of that, tax free, as COLA - that'd compensate me for the reduced pay easily. Still, are we talkin $6/gallon gas, etc? Because it's considered an overseas tour, I'd also get Commissary rights - which sells things at 5% over their cost. Would likely get free housing, too.

And it'd be an HONOR to hang out; as long as you're fine (and I know you are) with kids being there, too. hehe