Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Default Someone stole my IP address!

With my internet provider, which is Cable, we are assigned a dynamic IP address, which means we don't "own" the address and it can change at anytime. BUT, I have had my same IP address for the past 3 years, maybe longer. Usually you won't get assigned a new IP unless your modem is powered off for longer than about a week, or you change the MAC address of your modem. These IP addresses are "leased" but with my provider it was like an endless lease, or it reassigned the same address when the lease was up from the DHCP server.

Enough with the technical jargon. I was assigned a new IP address overnight and I feel like I lost a friend. I want my old address back!
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    With my internet provider, which is Cable, we are assigned a dynamic IP address, which means we don't "own" the address and it can change at anytime. BUT, I have had my same IP address for the past 3 years, maybe longer. Usually you won't get assigned a new IP unless your modem is powered off for longer than about a week, or you change the MAC address of your modem. These IP addresses are "leased" but with my provider it was like an endless lease, or it reassigned the same address when the lease was up from the DHCP server.

Enough with the technical jargon. I was assigned a new IP address overnight and I feel like I lost a friend. I want my old address back!
    you should just call the provider and ask for a static ip
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    you should just call the provider and ask for a static ip
    They don't offer them for home users, unless I were to upgrade to their business package. I was mostly joking though, there really isn't much of a need for a static IP unless I was hosting something off of my machine, which I'm not.
    “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin." Need I say more?” - Chris Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimnyc View Post
    They don't offer them for home users, unless I were to upgrade to their business package. I was mostly joking though, there really isn't much of a need for a static IP unless I was hosting something off of my machine, which I'm not.
    okay
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.