Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Media and how we perceive issues

Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions
    What Americans Know: 1989-2007

by the Pew Research Center
    http://people-press.org/reports/disp...3?ReportID=319

Take the survey conducted by the Pew Research Center. Read the article! Enjoy.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

What'd you get?

Thank GOD I watch FOX news, or I doubt I'd have gotten even 60%

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also scored a 96.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer
    Science wants to explain things and understand why they happen. Creationists want to use science to justify their own causes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

You have to define "media" first. Right-wing zealots only absorb news that has been sanitized for their protection.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a 96 and I haven't watched FOX News (voluntarily) since 2004. What do you know!

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zefrendylia View Post
    I got a 96 and I haven't watched FOX News (voluntarily) since 2004. What do you know!
    Nobody can understand those issues w/o having a balanced news source, such as Fox News.

“… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabosaurus View Post
    You have to define "media" first. Right-wing zealots only absorb news that has been sanitized for their protection.
    Says the left-wing zealot.

60% for me. Guess I should expand my TV time to include more than the NFL draft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5stringJeff View Post
    Says the left-wing zealot.

60% for me. Guess I should expand my TV time to include more than the NFL draft.
    96% here too. What is the one we're missing? Roberts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    96% here too. What is the one we're missing? Roberts?
    Not often I answer myself, I guess it's impossible to get 100% for some reason:

Thank you for taking our News IQ quiz. You correctly answered 9 of the 9 possible questions along with approximately 4% of the public. You did better than 96% of the general public.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

60% for me....not that flash really oh well
    "Unbloodybreakable" DCI Gene Hunt, 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    Nobody can understand those issues w/o having a balanced news source, such as Fox News.

Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'-- and Visit Newspaper Sites

By E&P Staff

Published: April 15, 2007 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK A new survey of 1,502 adults released Sunday by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that despite the mass appeal of the Internet and cable news since a previous poll in 1989, Americans' knowledge of national affairs has slipped a little. For example, only 69% know that Dick Cheney is vice president, while 74% could identify Dan Quayle in that post in 1989.

Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

pewtv.gif

All I have to say is--wow.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zefrendylia View Post
    Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'-- and Visit Newspaper Sites

By E&P Staff

Published: April 15, 2007 11:30 PM ET

NEW YORK A new survey of 1,502 adults released Sunday by Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found that despite the mass appeal of the Internet and cable news since a previous poll in 1989, Americans' knowledge of national affairs has slipped a little. For example, only 69% know that Dick Cheney is vice president, while 74% could identify Dan Quayle in that post in 1989.

Other details are equally eye-opening. Pew judged the levels of knowledgeability (correct answers) among those surveyed and found that those who scored the highest were regular watchers of Comedy Central's The Daily Show and Colbert Report. They tied with regular readers of major newspapers in the top spot -- with 54% of them getting 2 out of 3 questions correct. Watchers of the Lehrer News Hour on PBS followed just behind.

Virtually bringing up the rear were regular watchers of Fox News. Only 1 in 3 could answer 2 out of 3 questions correctly. Fox topped only network morning show viewers.

pewtv.gif

All I have to say is--wow.

All I have to say is another That's either LIE, or severely misleading.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find it funny that those who watch news shows designed for entertainment value, such as the Daily Show or Rush Limbaugh, were better informed than those who read newspapers and news magazines, and far better informed than those who watch TV news. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it has to do with the entertainment value. If you're a news entertainment show, you can talk about the more boring, mundane news and still get viewers because the host talks about it in an amusing way. If it's just news and no opinion, you have to fill it up with celebrity gossip and special interest stories just to get people to watch/listen.

Edit: I, too, got a perfect score.
    "Lighght"
    - This 'poem' was bought and paid for with $2,250 of YOUR money.

Name one thing the government does better than the private sector and I'll show you something that requires the use of force to accomplish.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I find it funny that those who watch news shows designed for entertainment value, such as the Daily Show or Rush Limbaugh, were better informed than those who read newspapers and news magazines, and far better informed than those who watch TV news. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I think it has to do with the entertainment value. If you're a news entertainment show, you can talk about the more boring, mundane news and still get viewers because the host talks about it in an amusing way. If it's just news and no opinion, you have to fill it up with celebrity gossip and special interest stories just to get people to watch/listen.

Edit: I, too, got a perfect score.

Makes sense to me... if it is an entertaining show, seems as if people would pay more attention than if it was just a news show or paper. If I read the paper, I usually just skim it, and as for actually HEARING what is being said on the news or radio... well, we have a lot of background noise here.

I scored a 70-- missed 2.
    Blessed be Your name, when the sun's shining down on me, when the world's "all as it should be," blessed be Your name!
    Blessed be Your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering, blessed be Your name!
    Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise. When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say...
    Blessed be the name of the Lord!
    Blessed be Your name!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I missed the minimum wage question.
    America: White people footing the bill for a party they're not allowed to attend.