Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Missouri Town Turns Out To Keep Phelps Clan Away From Soldier’s Funeral

I found this piece on a progressive web site and hundreds of comments there cheering on these proud and determined people. I would be the first in line to protect anyone's right to free speech but the idiots at Westboro Baptist Church are just insane. Reminds me of what Atty. John Yoo, author of the legal interpretation giving gwb permission to torture, said the other day. "I said it was legal, that didn't mean he should have done it". Nonetheless, I just wanted to share this piece with you and demonstrate in some small way that we almost all stand together on some issues.

source: McClatchy/Kansas City Star
    by Donald Bradley
    Nov. 24, 2010

As if a bell tolled a neighbor’s trouble, folks came running.

The first showed up before the sun Tuesday, huddling and shivering in the cold and the dark. Others soon came, and before long their numbers stretched a block on both sides of Mechanic Street in front of Harrisonville’s Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.

People drove from three or four counties away. Buses arrived, bellowing exhaust into the cold, bringing loads of schoolkids and senior citizens. People took off work. Some brought dogs. Farmers parked pickups nearby.

It wasn’t a fire, but a burning sense of what was the decent thing to do for one of their own who had given his all.

By 9 a.m., an hour before the funeral of Army Cpl. Jacob R. Carver, an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 people, many of them waving American flags, lined nearly a half-mile of the street in front of the church, making sure Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church/family congregation were crowded out, peacefully kept far from shouting distance of the funeral........................................... .........................................

Read more and links to related articles: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/11/2...#ixzz16ZFh4vVZ

This may not be the correct forum for this thread and I would appreciate any moderator moving it to one they feel more appropriate.

Psychoblues
    Last edited by Psychoblues; 11-28-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spellinf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoblues View Post
    Reminds me of what Atty. John Yoo, author of the legal interpretation giving gwb permission to torture, said the other day. "I said it was legal, that didn't mean he should have done it".

By 9 a.m., an hour before the funeral of Army Cpl. Jacob R. Carver, an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 people, many of them waving American flags, lined nearly a half-mile of the street in front of the church, making sure Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church/family congregation were crowded out, peacefully kept far from shouting distance of the funeral........................................... .........................................
    Good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like good work by the people of that town and the surrounding area.

The Phelps clan is pretty much universally despised by everyone and the good people of this town have assured that the family of a soldier who died in battle doesn't have to deal with the hate these dimwits so readily hand out.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F Buckley, Jr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I hope Phelps turns into another Jim Jones. fill the cups and pass em around

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoogyMan View Post
    Sounds like good work by the people of that town and the surrounding area.

The Phelps clan is pretty much universally despised by everyone and the good people of this town have assured that the family of a soldier who died in battle doesn't have to deal with the hate these dimwits so readily hand out.
    I can only wish that were true. Although you and I may find their actions and beliefs despicable there are many, even right here on this board, that are so hateful and afraid that they also would support the work of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Thanks for you agreement on this issue, BM.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I can only wish that were true. Although you and I may find their actions and beliefs despicable there are many, even right here on this board, that are so hateful and afraid that they also would support the work of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Psychoblues

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    Denial is not a river in Egypt, Kath.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

You're full of crap as usual, Psycho. I highly doubt anyone on this board applauds and supports that vile herd of wackos.

On the other hand, I have to hand it to you. You have been more coherent than you have been in a decade. Kudos.
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Psychoblues
    Show me ONE person on this board who would support a nut case like Phellps!!! JUST ONE Psyco!!! JUST ONE FREAKING member!!!!! F***ing tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want." -Dr. Randy Pausch

Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You folks understand what Fred Phelps and his bunch are all about , don't you? They hate the queers. Lots like them on this board. Whether or not they would behave exactly like the Phelps clan might be debatable but it's clear that many on this board would go to great extents to undermine the objectives of the queers for equal rights and treatment under the law.

Personally, I think it's a slam dunk.

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I support westborough church.....NOT !!!! LOL

I wish I could bitch slap that preacher down and kick him around, cuz Im violent just like his congregation.

(ps I'm using subtle sarcastic humor don't beat me up psycho I'm on your side)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Lightbulb

You folks understand what Fred Phelps and his bunch are all about , don't you? They hate the queers. Lots like them on this board. Whether or not they would behave exactly like the Phelps clan might be debatable but it's clear that many on this board would go to great extents to undermine the objectives of the queers for equal rights and treatment under the law.

Personally, I think it's a slam dunk.

Psychoblues

A thought occurs. Are you a little light in the sneakers? Is that where your streak of liberalism derives from?

Not trying to be mean, just trying to understand where you get your rabid streak of liberalism and how you could possibly infer the connections that you do.

You have more than a casual interest in homosexual rights. What gives?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    A thought occurs. Are you a little light in the sneakers? Is that where your streak of liberalism derives from?

Not trying to be mean, just trying to understand where you get your rabid streak of liberalism and how you could possibly infer the connections that you do.

You have more than a casual interest in homosexual rights. What gives?
    You think anything you want, nt. And yes, you are trying to be mean or at least clever. I got started in my liberal thinking during the civil rights era. Then it was women and fair pay, opposition to the draft, I could go on and on. But here is a surprise, possibly. My first vote was for Richard Nixon in 1968. He said he was going to get us out of Viet Nam. In 1972 it really appeared he was making some progress in that regard so I voted for him again. I could continue with my voting history but for what?

Think what you want, lighty, but you ain't as cute as you think you are!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    I support westborough church.....NOT !!!! LOL

I wish I could bitch slap that preacher down and kick him around, cuz Im violent just like his congregation.

(ps I'm using subtle sarcastic humor don't beat me up psycho I'm on your side)
    Holy Moly, Chloe!!!!!!!!!!! Even if you weren't using "subtle sarcastic humor" I wouldn't, damn, Chloe, don't make my mind even go in that direction!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear from you!!!!!!!!!! Can 'ya gimme some 'mo dat Sonny Boy Williamson, maybe Eddie Floyd "Knock On Wood"!

Psychoblues

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

You think anything you want, nt. And yes, you are trying to be mean or at least clever. I got started in my liberal thinking during the civil rights era. Then it was women and fair pay, opposition to the draft, I could go on and on. But here is a surprise, possibly. My first vote was for Richard Nixon in 1968. He said he was going to get us out of Viet Nam. In 1972 it really appeared he was making some progress in that regard so I voted for him again. I could continue with my voting history but for what?

Think what you want, lighty, but you ain't as cute as you think you are!

Psychoblues

Nope, it was an honest question... and I notice you didn't answer it.