Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unemployment

So, just how long should an unemployed person receive government assistance? 2 years?? 3 years?? Why not 4 or 5??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBiker View Post
    So, just how long should an unemployed person receive government assistance? 2 years?? 3 years?? Why not 4 or 5??
    Why not based on what you've paid in?

Thus someone who has consistently worked for 10-20 years without drawing should get substantially more than one who only has a work history of 3-5 years.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post

Thus someone who has consistently worked for 10-20 years without drawing should get substantially more than one who only has a work history of 3-5 years.
    I didn't know that employees paid into unemployment. I've always thought it was UI - Unemployment Insurance that an employer paid.
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The workers do not "pay in the system"

Employers pay into the fund

The Unemployment Insurance Program, commonly referred to as UI, provides weekly unemployment insurance payments for workers who lose their job through no fault of their own. The UI program is 100% funded by employers who pay taxes on wages paid to employees.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

It was at 99 weeks! That's nearly 2 years and now they've added another year and a month!

I think everyone knows I lost my job in June and had started looking for another since last March. Over the summer I spent most of my time applying for teaching positions. I used up 16 weeks of unemployment, before starting to substitute. Now I make about $23 more per week after retirement funds, union payments are taken out, along with taxes. Other than Thanksgiving week, making 17 weeks total unemployment, I've worked 5 days a week since beginning subbing. I'm certain to use another 2 weeks over Christmas of unemployment.

Now why work? I probably spend more than I'm making on gas. However, if I'm ever to get a job, I must have a work record, right? Now I'm not 25, 35, or 45 years old. I can't lift 40lbs or more of anything. However I'm still trying desperately to find a part-time job, to keep from going under.

How can people sit at home saying they 'can't find anything?' $50 more per week, is $50 more per week! Not too mention mental health by getting out of the house!

Anyone not working after 99 weeks, is not going to work.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Since libs think payig people not to work is a great way to grow the economy, we should all quit our jobs and then the economy would be in great shape - right?

If you can't find a job after 6 months you are not looking hard enough

How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.

Ronald Reagan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

I don't think the tea parties are going to like this deal. Here's Michelle Malkin's take, I've a feeling we'll be hearing more on the like from the tea parties:

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/12/06...less-benefits/

Deal with the devil: Temporary across-the-board tax relief for more endless jobless benefits
    By Michelle Malkin • December 6, 2010 06:06 PM

I understand many Beltway politicos consider the Obama/GOP tax deal — to be announced at 6:10pm Eastern by the president — to be a “win” for Republicans because the White House has conceded much, including a temporary payroll tax cut holiday of one year that would bring down the workers’ portion of FICA/Social Security taxes by 2 percent from 6.2 to 4.2%.

But outside Washington, many small businesses are getting hammered by the bottomless government subsidies for the unemployed at the expense of struggling employers.

Take my home state of Colorado — where I’m getting inundated with e-mails and first-hand stories from restaurant owners, dentists, and other business people (many of whom employ low-wage workers) grappling with massive UI bills. We’re not alone here in the Rockies. Between 30-40 state unemployment funds are bankrupt or teetering on the edge. And small businesses are paying the price. I’ll be reporting much more on the problem in my syndicated column on Wednesday.

Via the Denver Post:

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post
    I must have a work record, right? Now I'm not 25, 35, or 45 years old. I can't lift 40lbs or more of anything. However I'm still trying desperately to find a part-time job, to keep from going under.
    I believe this is an important point.

A person removed from the labor force for 2 to 3 years is likely to atrophy in skill sets. And with high school, trade school and college graduates entering into the work force this will make the long term unemployed even less valued.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does a person have any ownership on contributions made into a unemployment fund? If so are people paid on any unused unemployment monies?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Found this interesting:

http://cbs4denver.com/news/unemploym...2.2031356.html

Dec 1, 2010 9:56 pm US/Mountain
    Unemployment Insurance Premiums On Rise In Colo.

DENVER (CBS4) ―

Many small businesses in Colorado are getting a shock in the mail that could bring higher prices for consumers. More than 116,000 businesses in Colorado will see big increases in their unemployment insurance premiums in 2011.

The Labor Department said they can blame the sluggish economy and an outdated system that determines premiums. Some companies are having to pay higher unemployment insurance to the state even though they've been hiring.

Burt Hedke and his wife own a car reconditioning company. He was shocked how much his unemployment insurance would be going up.

"The rate went up 475 percent from the rate it was in 2010," said Hedke. "Knowing all the various taxes we have to pay as business owners and consumers my initial reaction is you gotta be kidding me."

The reason for the big hike is no money left in Colorado's Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund.

The trust is used to pay for the first 26 weeks of unemployment benefits to people who are out of work...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what the cutoff should be. All I can say is that considering the current environment, I'm much more lenient than I used to be. I remember when times were pretty good for me and they extended the unemployment to 18 months. I thought "how the hell can anyone not find a good job after a year and half?!"
    Well, I now know. I was out of work for almost 99 weeks and was just recently employed. I'm no slacker. I'm highly skilled and passionate about what I do. Yet, I couldn't seem to land more than a handful of interviews.
    At any other time before this, I didn't even need to look for a job. I had recruiters and other companies with whom I had contacts with offering me opportunities to leave my employer. If you've been in my position, you know the frustration and despair you begin to feel.

One thing I will admit is that after a number of months with no offers I began to look less diligently for work. I spent more time doing volunteer work at my son's school, church, and the unemployment office itself lol. It made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile with my time.

Thus, considering the times we find ourselves in, combined with my own personal experience, I'll bend with the current proposal. Obviously it is not sustainable and I would expect to bring the number of weeks back down once the economy picks up (if the economy picks up!).

To anyone still looking for work, my heart goes out to you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

It seems that there are about 40 positions available at San Quentin prison in Marin County, CA. Looks like a registered nurser there can make about $10K/month

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/wvpos/search_p.cfm?county=MARIN

Wonder what happened?
    If the freedom of speech is taken away
    then dumb and silent we may be led,
    like sheep to the slaughter.

George Washington (1732-1799) First President of the USA.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red states rule View Post
    The workers do not "pay in the system"

Employers pay into the fund
    It's all cost of employing someone, the employer is paying to the government instead of to the employee. In all sense of reality it's coming out of your pocket.
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Germany has a better solution.

No government-paid unemployment or UI taxes at all. Instead, when a company lays off an employee, they are required by law to pay that employee a full year's salary - immediately.
    All conservatives are such from personal defects. They have been effeminated by position or nature, born halt and blind, through luxury of their parents, and can only, like invalids, act on the defensive.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Palin Rider View Post
    Germany has a better solution.

No government-paid unemployment or UI taxes at all. Instead, when a company lays off an employee, they are required by law to pay that employee a full year's salary - immediately.
    Actually Germany's unemployment is 80% of what their previous salary was and benefits do not run out.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche