Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default US inability to rein in Israel will fuel extremism in region

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf News

US inability to rein in Israel will fuel extremism in region

Moderate camp among the Palestinians has lost the battle and the possibility of a negotiated two-state solution seems remote.

Capitulating to the intransigence of Israel's hardliners, the White House proved itself unable to secure even its most recent, downsized demand for a colony freeze to allow direct talks between the Palestinians and Israelis to resume.

Like a fretful parent with a bullying spoilt child, US President Barack Obama spent the last month cajoling and pleading with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to stop Israel's illegal colony building programme on occupied Palestinian land for just 90 days.

He threw in a raft of incentives — the gift of 20 advanced F-35 fighter jets; a pledge to veto any anti-Israeli resolutions at the United Nations — but all were brushed away by a petulant hand.

Already in receipt of $3 billion US aid a year and unconditional diplomatic support, Israel clearly sees no reason to offer concessions for what it can probably get for free.

In June 2009, Obama gave his famous Cairo speech in which he reached out to the world's 1.4 billion Muslims. In the course of his eloquent and stirring oratory, he made this unequivocal statement: "The United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli colonies".
    Read the Full article:
    http://gulfnews.com/opinions/columni...egion-1.727307
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Abso -

Here's a bit about this guy. He's a bit over the edge.

By Abdel Bari Atwan, Special to Gulf News

He was born on February 17, 1950 in Deir el-Balah, a Palestinian refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, two years after the creation of Israel. His Palestinian parents Zilfa and Muhammad Atwan lived in the Palestinian seaside village of Isdud.
    Speaking about Iran's nuclear capability in an interview on Lebanese television in June 2007, Atwan stated, "If the Iranian missiles strike Israel, by Allah, I will go to Trafalgar Square and dance with delight." He further stated in the case of war, Iran would retaliate against its Arab neighbors, American bases in the Gulf and "Allah willing, it will attack Israel, as well."

In March 2008, Atwan said that the Mercaz HaRav shooting, in which a Palestinian gunmen killed eight students (aged 15 to 26), "was justified." He added that the Mercaz HaRav yeshiva is responsible for "hatching Israeli extremists and fundamentalists" and that the celebrations in Gaza following the attack symbolized "the courage of the Palestinian nation."
    Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain View Post
    Abso -

Here's a bit about this guy. He's a bit over the edge.

By Abdel Bari Atwan, Special to Gulf News
    I agree, he is a stupid extreme reporter, but aside from his views on other subjects, have you read this article, what do you think about it ?

and the most important part i found in the articles is that:

In June 2009, Obama gave his famous Cairo speech in which he reached out to the world's 1.4 billion Muslims. In the course of his eloquent and stirring oratory, he made this unequivocal statement: "The United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli colonies".

i am already aware that USA never agreed with occupying the palestinian lands, and that all american officials still call them "Occupied Territories", USA has never agreed with the israelian demands to annex those lands, but what exactly is US doing to force israel to go back to 1967, how can it admit that israel is holding those lands unlawfully while not doing anything to make it leave them ???

USA has always linked between its support to any country and obligating this country to abide by international law, US linked between the aid to egypt and the peace treaty with israel, so if Egypt cancelled the treaty, the aid will stop, then how can US still pays Israel 3 billion $ a year while its a country that is occupying lands illegally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, does that mean that US agree with breaking the international law ?

how long will the soft tone continue with israel, is US that weak !!!
    Last edited by abso; 12-13-2010 at 03:55 AM.
    People show you and tell you who they are and you need to be listening and watching, not deciding that you know better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

I think he's off-the-charts extreme and people in the middle east shouldn't be reading his sort of venomous journalism that is designed to whip the masses into a suicide bombing frenzy aimed at the USA & Israel.

What is your take?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think he's off-the-charts extreme and people in the middle east shouldn't be reading his sort of venomous journalism that is designed to whip the masses into a suicide bombing frenzy aimed at the USA & Israel.

What is your take?
    my opinion is that GOD gave me a mind, i can read anything without following it, or that would make me an animal, dont you agree ?

i have my free will, i read his article, i agreed with it, that doesnt mean that i agree with his personality or his other views, agreeing with someone on something doesnt mean that you agree with him on everything, dont you agree with me on that ?

anyway, i dont read his articles on daily basis, i didnt even knew the guy until today, i just found this article by coincidence while i was searching for something on google, liked it, agreed with it, posted it.

you should read it too no matter who wrote it, then you should tell me your opinion about what is written, not about who wrote it, i am still waiting for your reviw of that article

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    I agree, he is a stupid extreme reporter, but aside from his views on other subjects, have you read this article, what do you think about it ?
    In a perfect world, Abso, a journalist with his extreme views might be able to present an objective article. He skewed the article to make his case that Israel is evil. Nothing new here.

The sad part about it is that there are millions of muslims that read that article, just as you did, and sagely nodded their heads in agreement with everything he said because they're not getting objective news.

and the most important part i found in the articles is that:

We have a fool for a President. He does not know what he is doing and he had almost no experience before being elected.

We're sorry for the confusion. We'll try to do better next time we elect a President.

i am already aware that USA never agreed with occupying the palestinian lands, and that all american officials still call them "Occupied Territories", USA has never agreed with the israelian demands to annex those lands, but what exactly is US doing to force israel to go back to 1967, how can it admit that israel is holding those lands unlawfully while not doing anything to make it leave them ???

USA has always linked between its support to any country and obligating this country to abide by international law, US linked between the aid to egypt and the peace treaty with israel, so if Egypt cancelled the treaty, the aid will stop, then how can US still pays Israel 3 billion $ a year while its a country that is occupying lands illegally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, does that mean that US agree with breaking the international law ?

how long will the soft tone continue with israel, is US that weak !!!
    First, what international law are they breaking?

Again, as I said in the other thread, Israel kept some of the land they gained after being attacked by your country, Egypt, and 2 other countries.

That happens sometimes when you lose a war. It's legitimate, it's fair, and most importantly, it's done. This all went down 43 years ago, time to accept it and move ahead.

Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)

I love when I read about the US helping Israel defend itself and it's security against Palestinian terrorists.
    “… the greatest detractor from high performance is fear: fear that you are not prepared, fear that you are in over your head, fear that you are not worthy, and ultimately, fear of failure. If you can eliminate that fear—not through arrogance or just wishing difficulties away, but through hard work and preparation—you will put yourself in an incredibly powerful position to take on the challenges you face" - Pete Carroll.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Abso do actually buy into this article? I thought you were smarter than that and more moderate. This "article" is just so much made up crap.

He really needs to take up writing for television drama instead of news magazines. A propaganda piece to stir the hearts and minds of the not so bright.

Now go find an Israeli article about the same subject and get their view point.
    When I die I'm sure to go to heaven, cause I spent my time in hell.

You get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you do with just a kind word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

In a perfect world, Abso, a journalist with his extreme views might be able to present an objective article. He skewed the article to make his case that Israel is evil. Nothing new here.

The sad part about it is that there are millions of muslims that read that article, just as you did, and sagely nodded their heads in agreement with everything he said because they're not getting objective news.

We have a fool for a President. He does not know what he is doing and he had almost no experience before being elected.

We're sorry for the confusion. We'll try to do better next time we elect a President.

First, what international law are they breaking?

Again, as I said in the other thread, Israel kept some of the land they gained after being attacked by your country, Egypt, and 2 other countries.

That happens sometimes when you lose a war. It's legitimate, it's fair, and most importantly, it's done. This all went down 43 years ago, time to accept it and move ahead.
    I'm assuming that Abso is in agreement with this from the article:

...Impervious to criticism, unhindered by sanctions, indifferent to international legislation and dismissive of the UN Security Council's many resolutions condemning it, Israel acts with impunity. And with this final surrender, Obama has lost any semblance of control over Junior...
    The UN creates more anti-Israel resolutions and condemnation of Israel than Bayer has aspirin. Hell, they have a special meeting just to give vent to all the complaints against Israel, btw, Good on Canada:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...Ds8pUnWFMBXoCK

The UN's 9/11 insult

Last Updated: 5:08 AM, December 12, 2010

Posted: 12:25 AM, December 12, 2010

Next year, as New Yorkers observe the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the United Nations is planning a celebration.

It’s perverse. It’s inexcusable. And it’s business as usual in Turtle Bay.

September 2011, you see, also marks the 10th anniversary of the Durban Conference on Racism, a weeklong farce that accused Israel of being the world’s most racist nation and sought to undermine its very right to exist.

So last month Yemen sponsored a resolution calling for the anniversary meet-up. The idea is to create a forum for yet another round of Israel-bashing hate speech.

In a sane world, such a party would be ridden out of town.

At the UN, the resolution passed 121 to 19, with 35 abstentions.

Canada is fighting back by boycotting the coming “hatefest,” which it says scapegoats Israel and “promotes racism rather than combats it.” If only the United States were just as blunt.

“My delegation regrets that this resolution contains elements that require us to vote no,” said a US diplomat, who noted that he was “deeply troubled” that New York would be the venue.

Troubled ain’t the half of it.

There’s only one reason the new conference will convene in New York in September 2011: to rub salt in the city’s wounds, to dance on the city’s graves...
    From the article Abso posted we find this nugget, totally unsubstantiated:

...Obama's position was undoubtedly weakened by November's mid-term elections — the results of which were heralded as a triumph by Washington's most powerful pro-Israeli lobby, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). An overwhelming majority of senators are members of AIPAC whose policies closely mirror those of Netanyahu's right-wing Likud party...
    Then there's this:

...With the US already embroiled in two unwinnable conflicts (in Iraq and Afghanistan) and apparently losing the ‘war on terror' in general, the country can ill afford to launch an attack on Iran — though this is clearly what Israel is pressing for now that it has sidelined the peace process.

Israel may also be preparing to take on Hamas and Hezbollah...
    One of the surprises regarding pressure on US towards Iran uncovered by Wikileaks, was the it was Muslim countries. Israel kept stressing diplomacy and appeals to Iranian people.

Israel has always been prepared to take on Hamas and Hizbollah, that is they are the reasons that peace has been impossible to find and Israel insists on security first.

One last graph from the article, truly Orwellian:

...In the 17 years since the Oslo Accords were first signed, Israel's colony population doubled from 250,000 to around 500,000, yet the Palestinians made one concession after another in their desire for peace: Fatah leaders renounced terrorism, the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) started collaborating with the Israeli military in the interests of ‘security', Palestinian representatives recommended peaceful relations with Israel throughout the Arab world and discouraged the embargoes and boycotts of Israeli goods that might have brought the Zionist state to its senses...

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Default Speaking of the Anti-Israeli Perspective of the UN

Just came across this. Yes, it's official for the UN:

http://unispal.un.org/unispal.nsf/ngo.htm

Here's some of the meetings they are encouraging:

http://unispal.un.org/ngoactionnews....b?OpenDocument

27 November – 10 December 2010

North America

Jewish Voice for Peace, Adalah-NY, Brooklyn for Peace, Code Pink, Jews Say No!, and Students for Justice in Palestine-Columbia held a demonstration on 10 December at TIAA-CREF’s offices in New York, to protest the financial service’s investment in companies that profit from the Israeli occupation. Supporters who were unable to join the protest are invited to sign a related petition.

The American Task Force on Palestine (ATFP) has launched its Winter Bazaar 2010, which will run until 21 December, in Washington, DC. Proceeds from sales of Middle Eastern maps, manuscripts and art, will benefit the ATFP as well as the American Charities for Palestine.

CODEPINK will lead a delegation to Gaza from 30 January to 6 February, to get a firsthand look at conditions on the ground.

J Street will hold a conference on peace in the Middle East called “Giving Voice to our Values,” from 26 February to 1 March, in Washington, DC.

The US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation urges Americans to tell their Members of Congress to put US -- and not Israeli -- interests first, when it comes to budget decisions.

Creative Nonviolent Resistance against Injustice and PalestinianGandhis.org are selling Fair-Traded Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Palestine in order to benefit Palestinian farmers. All profits will be donated to the newly created Center for Palestine Studies at Columbia University. For more information, contact Dennis Loh at: lohdennis@gmail.com.

Europe

The Ireland-Palestine Solidarity Campaign (IPSC), as part of its Boycott Israeli Blood Diamond Campaign, will have a stall in Galway on 11 December and in Dublin on 18 December, to highlight the trade in Israeli “blood diamonds” and collect signatures for a petition to the Retail Jewellers of Ireland.

The Queens University Belfast Palestine Solidarity Society will host a discussion and screening of “Little Town of Bethlehem,” a film about the growing non-violence movement in the Middle East, in Belfast on 15 December.

Belfast Friends of Palestine will hold a vigil, on 27 December in Belfast, to mark the second anniversary of the start of Operation Cast Lead.

The Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign (SPSC) reports with satisfaction that the Edinburgh Council rejected on 10 December Veolia's bid to manage public services in that city. SPSC notes that Veolia, a French multinational, works with Israeli authorities to provide waste and transport services to Israel's illegal settlements.

The Palestine Solidarity Campaign, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Stop the War Coalition, British Muslim Initiative, Friends of Al Aqsa, Palestinian Forum in Britain, and Viva Palestina will hold a vigil outside the Israeli embassy in London on 27 December to mark the second anniversary of the start of Operation Cast Lead. There will also be a rally for Gaza on 18 January, also in London.

Asia and the Pacific

Justice for Palestine – Brisbane is holding “Don’t buy apartheid for Christmas,” a protest event targeting Israeli products, on 11 December in Brisbane, Australia.

The Coalition for Justice and Peace in Palestine will host a dinner and forum entitled “Education Under Occupation,” featuring the Vice-Chancellor of Bethlehem University, on 17 December, in Newtown, New South Wales, Australia.

Australians for Palestine has posted a video of Australian activists demonstrating earlier this month in an Australian shopping centre against products made from the Israeli exploitation of Palestinian resources.

Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel held a Human Rights Day march in Tel Aviv on 10 December, to protest, in part, the occupation.

Stop the Wall and ItIsApartheid.org will hold a screening of videos from the Israeli Apartheid Short Film Contest on 13 December in the West Bank city of Al-Bireh. Supporters can vote for their favourite videos online.

Al-Haq launched on 9 December a short documentary film entitled “Beyond Words: Palestinian Voices in Search of Justice”.

International

The Fahamu Refugee Programme introduces its website (www.srlan.org/beta), a portion of which focuses on Palestinian refugees. The site includes contact information for resource persons who can provide confidential help to legal advisers who are dealing with Palestinian refugee cases. In addition, legal advisers and refugees may subscribe to a related listserv.

United Nations

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OCHA-OPT) published on 7 December its 2011 Consolidated Appeal (CAP), which requests US $575 million for 213 projects, to advance humanitarian efforts for the most vulnerable Palestinians, and where Palestinian Authority outreach is limited, namely the Gaza Strip, Area C, including the seam zones, and East Jerusalem. OCHA– OPT also published its weekly Protection of Civilians report, covering 1 to 7 December.

The United Nations Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, Maxwell Gaylard, issued a statement on 7 December, expressing concern about the forced closure on 30 November by the local authorities in Gaza of all Gaza-based offices of the non-governmental organization Sharek Youth Forum.

This page may contain links to third-party Web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of the United Nations and the United Nations is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The United Nations provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply endorsement of the linked site by the United Nations. This newsletter is a project of the Division for Palestinian Rights, and is intended to provide information on NGO activities relevant to the question of Palestine . NGOs interested in contributing information on their activities should communicate it by Email The Division reserves the right to make the final selection with regard to material to be included in this newsletter. It cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information.

"The government is a child that has found their parents credit card, and spends knowing that they never have to reconcile the bill with their own money"-Shannon Churchill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dmp View Post
    I love when I read about the US helping Israel defend itself and it's security against Palestinian terrorists.
    So you think all palestinians are terrorists ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the objective wasnt really to make israel evil, but to let US know that by supporting israel and failing to stop its colonization policy, then more rage and hatred and terrorism will exist, as i said in the other article, the main reasons for terrorism against USA is its blind support to israel and supporting its colonization policy.

not millions at all, the article readers will never exceed few hundreds or thousands at most, i can assure you of that, and i didnt agree with everything he said, i just agreed with the main principle which i already stated in my answer to your topic, that supporting israel blindly and allowing it to destroy palestinian homes to build new homes for israelians, and to build more illegal settlements, that will only lead to more fighting, the most basic solutions for the problem, is to force israel to go back to 1967 borders, then fight hamas with american troops if they still want to fight israel.

is it fool to bring justice and return a stolen land and stop the occupation ?

where exactly in the international law is it said that the country has the right to keep the land of the attacker, can you show me, how is it ligitimate ?

and as always, all americans think that israel was attacked first, while israel wasnt attacked first, just because it thought someone was going to attack it, doesnt make it an attack, israel attacked first, and thats the fact, call it preemptive war or any name you would like, but that doesnt mean that israel was attacked first, Nasser moved the army to the borders because he got info from the Soviet Union telling him that Israel is preparing to attack syria, so he massed his army at the borders to force israel to back up and not attack syria, but he didnt start the war and he wasnt going to do so, he didnt even have enough weapons, the egyptian army was still in need of more weapons to engage in any war.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kathianne View Post

although thats a long article and if i posted it then my post will get deleted, but anyway, whats your point in posting it, do you support ending the israelian colonization or do you want it to continue ???

you are confusing me, so pick a side

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    Abso do actually buy into this article? I thought you were smarter than that and more moderate. This "article" is just so much made up crap.
    no i dont buy into his opinions, but i just agree with the main idea of the article, that supporting colonization will only breed more violence and terrorism which i am sure that you and me and everyone doesnt want.
    what do you expect when you tell someone that they lost their land, they wont get it back, and they just have to get used to the idea !!!

palestinians felt injustice when their land was taken from them in 1948, then even more injustice when more of their land were taken from them in 1967, how can you expect them to get used to that, they will just fight until they get their land back, all they ask for is the 1967 borders which is the legal borders of the israelian state, all the lands outside their borders is just illegally occupied territories, and they should return it.

He really needs to take up writing for television drama instead of news magazines. A propaganda piece to stir the hearts and minds of the not so bright.
    i dont care if he should write drama for TV or stop writing at all, i dont care if he dies or lives or vanished from the whole world, i just saw and idea, and copied it, i dont agree with him personally, and i dont agree with his extremism, i have my own opinions, it just happened that one of his opinions was like mine, thats all.

Now go find an Israeli article about the same subject and get their view point.
    [/QUOTE]

actually i didnt search for that article, it was just a coincidence, as you see i stopped posting articles about israel and palestine a long time ago, this was just a coincidence, and i only posted it because its mainly about USA, not israel and palestine, if you have any israeli article about the subject then please post it and i will gladly read it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Piss Off (Given)
    Piss Off (Received)
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abso View Post
    although thats a long article and if i posted it then my post will get deleted, but anyway, whats your point in posting it, do you support ending the israelian colonization or do you want it to continue ???

you are confusing me, so pick a side
    Nope, that long article wasn't an article. It's an official UN site. Like government announcements, it's meant to be shared.

Contrary to your claim about Nasser, it certainly wasn't just Egypt. Nope, it was Jordan and Syria also. Material support for the aggressors was given by Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Algeria. They'd surrounded Israel, what they didn't count on was being out manned, out gunned, and out thought. Israel won. They will keep enough land to provide buffer and warning-it's what keeps them relatively safe from the missiles from Syria that continue to this day. It's the price the losers/aggressors pay for their aggression.

Someday perhaps, the surrounding countries will acknowledge the right to exist for Israel. If and when that occurs, so may peace between all. Now, what about Egypt giving those poor, displaced, peace-loving Palestinians a home?